Magazine pouches for 8 or 10rd , What are you using?

The title says it all. Its probably one of the most overlooked things for civilians but as a pro. gun toter I have to think about it every day. You can have all the mags in the world but your not going anywhere without a way to carry them.

What are you guys using for magazine pouches?

Well, aside from my harnesses or other side pouches I use for various weapons (RPK, AK74, Sig556 etc)...

For most outings like going to the range etc, I just use a nice leg bag. Doubles as a nice drop pouch as well if not in a "rush".

I also consider it my SHTF "grab bag". Sits next to the Saiga -grab N go.

It holds 5 of the 10 rounders side by side (rounds facing out and away from you) You would think it would do 6, but the floor plates take up the angle down at the bottom.

Or it "can" hold 6 of the 10 rounders in 2 rows of 3 each (facing forward or rearward for the rounds). I choose not to do this because its not fast to get your fingers aound the mag to pull it out, and I think if I were to shoot-n-scoot, it would be a lot of forward/rear movement on the flap (increasing chance of a loose round popping out of the mag/bag). 5 going sideways is preferable for reloading faster and staying snug (just a tip....and you "could" do 6 sideways).

It also has a "cinch" cord inside for a nice snug fit and minimal noise (magz still can slide out easy when you draw from center...plastic on plastic).

~~And yes, it has a drain hole and coated to keep the powder high and dry :)

Here's some pics (and included the model type patch as well for those interested). I bought it at an airsoft store around here long ago and it serves pretty well for the longer mags.

post-5106-1173946427.jpg

post-5106-1173946445.jpg

post-5106-1173946455_thumb.jpg

post-5106-1173946469_thumb.jpg

post-5106-1173946478.jpg

Semper Fi,

~S

Edited by whatmanual

(I took it off the web belt to show it better)

Keep in mind, this isnt exactly like a "dump" pouch (no slit on cover). Its a leg bag and attaches essentially the same way, but its slightly bigger. Perfect for the intended purpose I have it for.

Have 2 bags on a web belt and thats 10+1 mags. Use any harness for the 5 rounders etc. More or less its more ammo than you really want to be carrying all day long. If you need more than that one bag for "something", then best switch to something else.

And yes, its molle, so having one on the vest or pack is not bad idea either to save pack space (and save the legs).

Semper Fi,

~S

Edited by whatmanual

I picked up one of the rubber FAL mag cases to see if they might work, thinking I could just cut off the top cover. It would hold two 10 rounders (one in each pouch) but it was very snug. I'm going to try heating the rubber up a little bit and see if they will re-mold around the Saiga mags.

I picked up one of the rubber FAL mag cases to see if they might work, thinking I could just cut off the top cover. It would hold two 10 rounders (one in each pouch) but it was very snug. I'm going to try heating the rubber up a little bit and see if they will re-mold around the Saiga mags.

old trick... try using a shoe tree (stretching to resize type) and perhaps leave it in the sun or hot trunk etc. to heat it up a little for a couple days.

Edited by whatmanual

old trick... try using a shoe tree (stretching to resize type) and perhaps leave it in the sun or hot trunk etc. to heat it up a little for a couple days.

Good Idea, I'll give that a try.

I made the mistake of buying the proper Russian ones for 8 rounders. They look OK and have proper clips etc but the mags are SO tight in them there's no way you can get them out quickly enough. Need a bit of elastic surgery before they are any good.

Thanks for the help on the saiga mag pouch, Whatmanual I found them here easy enough, on specialtydefense.com I am going to try a spec ops mag dump pouch with the elastic crap removed from the top first to see if that works, it'll be close. The pouch is like 10x8x3 if I remember. If I get lucky it'll hold 7-8 of them, which is a lot and in ACU color it'll match my uniform and other gear.

• 2 months later...
AGP is now selling mag pouches. I haven't ordered any yet but they do look functional.

I got those AGP pouches and they are really really really nice. Here's a pic from KCR of my getup....of course it wont matter since their "rules" only allow you to use one and only one magazine in the match and I'm not making that up.

dsc06933ag7.th.jpg

dsc06933ag7.jpg

I got those AGP pouches and they are really really really nice. Here's a pic from KCR of my getup....of course it wont matter since their "rules" only allow you to use one and only one magazine in the match and I'm not making that up.

I appreciate seeing the mag pouches in use.. I think I need one (or more). I hope AGP plans on restocking.

As to the KCR rule.. That is a BS rule

I pulled up the registration form for the shotgun shoots and it had a discretionary 5 second bonus for those with subjectively stock guns, that is a BS rule too.

If someone applied the same limiting mentality to the the rifle / sub gun matches they would scream it was anti-gun liberal communisim.