Doublestack Mags

Does anyone know exactly how those Spectre mags work?

Spectre mags are like two double stack mags with one side common to both. This 'common' side is a divider inside the magazine which ends at the top where the two stacks converge.

That is the simple part. The tricky part is how the follower folds to follow the rounds up into the tower and push the last rounds up to the feed lips. Not really all that tricky in concept but the actual design of where the follower should pivot, how much spring pressure is needed, etc. are the issues.

The Russians had a prototype for a 60 round, quad stack, AK74 magazine along those lines. I've seen pictures and a schematic of the internals. Pretty neat trick but I guess it didn't perform to requirements as they don't seem to have fielded them.

Does anyone know exactly how those Spectre mags work?

Spectre mags are like two double stack mags with one side common to both. This 'common' side is a divider inside the magazine which ends at the top where the two stacks converge.

That is the simple part. The tricky part is how the follower folds to follow the rounds up into the tower and push the last rounds up to the feed lips. Not really all that tricky in concept but the actual design of where the follower should pivot, how much spring pressure is needed, etc. are the issues.

The Russians had a prototype for a 60 round, quad stack, AK74 magazine along those lines. I've seen pictures and a schematic of the internals. Pretty neat trick but I guess it didn't perform to requirements as they don't seem to have fielded them.

It was my understanding that the quad stack 74 mags work but that Russia did not want to invest in new polymer molds and mag building facilites. A financial reason and not an engineering reason. This what I understand from an owner of a quad stack AK 74 magazine in thsi country.

It was my understanding that the quad stack 74 mags work but that Russia did not want to invest in new polymer molds and mag building facilites. A financial reason and not an engineering reason.

Generally most of the development cost is the engineering time to get past prototype stage to a working model so most of the cost would have been absorbed already - but that doesn't mean you or your friend is wrong or that I don't believe it. I've seen plenty of highly paid capitalists make mind-numbingly stupid economic decisions so I can accept that people raised in a communist environment could do the same.

Edited by MadMax
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...