http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAG7QQ3PBB1.DTL

SACRAMENTO

Assembly OKs micro-stamp on some guns

Bill would make state first in nation to require tracking device in semiautomatic pistols

Matthew Yi, Chronicle Sacramento Bureau

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

(05-30) 04:00 PDT Sacramento -- In an effort to curb deadly gun violence, the state Assembly on Tuesday passed a bill that would make California the first in the nation to require a mechanism inside semiautomatic pistols to stamp information that would help authorities track down criminals.

"About 45 percent of all homicides are never solved ... for lack of evidence," the bill's author, Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, said on the floor of the Assembly. "But we have the technology now to prevent killers from killing again and to bring them to justice."

The measure, AB1471, would require starting in 2010 that all semiautomatic pistols sold in California contain a mechanism to stamp the gun's make, model and serial number on the shell casing of the bullet every time the weapon is fired.

Citing state Department of Justice records, Feuer noted that about 2,400 homicides are committed each year and about 60 percent involve the use of a handgun. Moreover, about 70 percent of new handguns sold in California are semiautomatic pistols, he said.

While supporters of the legislation hailed the bill as a desperately needed tool for law enforcement to solve shooting crimes, opponents argued the technology is unproven and there are too many loopholes in the measure to be effective.

Perhaps the biggest problem would be that innocent people could be framed for crimes that they did not commit, said Assemblyman Doug LaMalfa, D-Richvale (Butte County).

"Other ammunition rounds can be thrown around at the scene of the crime ... or criminals can use revolvers that do not eject shell casings," he said.

The idea of "micro-stamping" is catching on at the federal level. Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Los Angeles, and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, said earlier this month that they, too, will craft a micro-stamping bill in Congress.

"There's always that concern that others will follow California. Like they say, the way California goes, the rest of the nation goes," said Marc Halcon, president of the California Association of Firearms Retailers.

In California, a previous effort to pass a micro-stamping bill failed.

Last year, then-Assemblyman Paul Koretz, D-West Hollywood, introduced a similar bill that passed several hurdles but came up two votes shy in the Assembly on the last day of the legislative session.

On Tuesday, the Assembly approved Feuer's version in a 44-29 vote, largely along party lines. The bill now heads to the state Senate.

Feuer said the primary difference in this year's bill is that the measure requires the micro-stamping mechanism to etch the information from at least two different places in the pistol. Last year's bill only required one and the firing pin was widely considered as the most logical piece of the firearm to stamp the information. Opponents argued then, and now, that the firing pin can be removed and defaced, or simply replaced.

That's why his bill requires the etching to occur in more than one place inside the gun, Feuer said.

Several Republican members of the Assembly voiced their opposition by arguing that there is little evidence that additional laws on gun control actually lead to less crimes, or that approving the measure would only enrich a single patent-holder of the technology.

Feuer dismissed the latter argument by saying that the patent owner, NanoMark Technologies of Londonderry, N.H., has agreed to give away the patents to gun manufacturers if the bill is enacted.

"This is not a gun control bill. It's a crime control bill," said Assemblyman Paul Krekorian, D-Burbank. "We know that there is an epidemic of gun crimes in the state."

Pro-gun organizations said they are troubled by AB1471 and argued the measure will only hurt law-abiding gun owners because the measure would drive up the prices of firearms.

"Micro-stamping is an ill-advised proposition," said Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association of America.

Stupid, naive, ineffective.

i can however see the advantage to find a "ditched firearm... in a river... or over location where a gun should not be...

but hey... why not chip US while they are at it... since only a criminal would posess a gun

FOR GET IT

I like what the NRA had to say about it. they get an AWFUL LOT of money to make some lame comment like that.

I hope a GOOD progun organization is created one of these days, that I will actually give my money to.

i wonder how this would affect reloaders. obviously it will shorten the life of the brass, but would it make it unloadable after just one use?

or it would provide one hell of a reasonable doudt argument in court

but then again gang-bangers don't exactly buy reload rounds... i speculate

and what do they think they are going to accomplish with this exactly?

its not like gang bangers are going to walk-in and say "heres my chrome glock yo, stamp it for me bitch"

its not like gang bangers are going to walk-in and say "heres my chrome glock yo, stamp it for me bitch"

Im making a prediction on this one. Rap song lyrics are going to incorporate instructions on how to avoid using a gun with stamping.

Example:

"How To Rob" by 50 cent

R.I.P B.I.G, R.I.P P-A-C, R.I.P enough of that, shit, it's time to OD

Aiyyo the bottom line is I'ma crook with a deal

If my record don't sell I'ma rob and steal

You better recognize nigga I'm straight from the street...................

................................................................................

..File them bitch stamps off the gat barrel or betta yet get a gauge

cause they don't got that shit on them....................................

........take some muthafukin shell casings from the local range and

let some other punk ass nigga take the rap for your activities cause

thats how its done in the hood.......................................

Baning rap music is 100 times more likely to prevent crime than any

gun control measure. Call me a racist if you will, but thats how i see it.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 90 percent of of armed robbery

, armed rape, and gang violence is being commited by young black males.

Im almost 100 percent certain that most of them have been listening to rap

music that has been inspiring a crime spree in their head. How many times does

a young black male have to hear "rape the hoes", "shoot whitey and take his cash",

or "kill the police" before he believes enough to attempt it. As far as i am concerned,

rap music is just like yelling "Fire in a crowed theater" in a proverbial sense.

Im making a prediction on this one. Rap song lyrics are going to incorporate instructions on how to avoid using a gun with stamping.

Example:

"How To Rob" by 50 cent

R.I.P B.I.G, R.I.P P-A-C, R.I.P enough of that, shit, it's time to OD

Aiyyo the bottom line is I'ma crook with a deal

If my record don't sell I'ma rob and steal

You better recognize nigga I'm straight from the street...................

................................................................................

..File them bitch stamps off the gat barrel or betta yet get a gauge

cause they don't got that shit on them....................................

........take some muthafukin shell casings from the local range and

let some other punk ass nigga take the rap for your activities cause

thats how its done in the hood.......................................

Baning rap music is 100 times more likely to prevent crime than any

gun control measure. Call me a racist if you will, but thats how i see it.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 90 percent of of armed robbery

, armed rape, and gang violence is being commited by young black males.

Im almost 100 percent certain that most of them have been listening to rap

music that has been inspiring a crime spree in their head. How many times does

a young black male have to hear "rape the hoes", "shoot whitey and take his cash",

or "kill the police" before he believes enough to attempt it. As far as i am concerned,

rap music is just like yelling "Fire in a crowed theater" in a proverbial sense.

racist MY ASS... that is a very logical statement dog...

hell of a lot more logical than stamping

How is that suppose to be effective? Most autos can be stripped to the frame. Grind out any stampings on the bolt-face, hit the firing pin with a dremel, drop in a different barrel, or dremel any stampings in the chamber, polish all mating surfaces for good measure, oil, re-assemble.

And how is this going to apply to pistols already on the market from C&Rs to the gunshow queens?

One more reason to avoid Commifornia like the plague.

a mechanism to stamp the gun's make, model and serial number on the shell casing of the bullet every time the weapon is fired.

Sounds like somebody has been watching Judge Dredd too much...

And I don't see the gun industry funding that extra production time just for one commy state (which is probably the true goal of the bill). Models with 10rd mags, that's easy for them and with all the guns California buys, worth the extra effort.

And criminals aren't stupid, the same kind of guns floating around the black market now without serials will certainly have those devices removed/disabled in the future, I mean, duh :rolleyes:

all a criminal would have to do is go to the range, pick up a hand full of brass

Wasn't it NY that wanted to pass a law requiring that all handguns have a sample bullet held by the state for forensics comparisons? So criminals either change barrels or use an old gun with worn rifling :rolleyes:

all a criminal would have to do is go to the range, pick up a hand full of brass

Wasn't it NY that wanted to pass a law requiring that all handguns have a sample bullet held by the state for forensics comparisons? So criminals either change barrels or use an old gun with worn rifling :rolleyes:

my new glock came with 2 spent casings

Yeah, my XD came with two. What is funny is that here in CA, you are not required to turn them in....go figure.

Yeah, my XD came with two. What is funny is that here in CA, you are not required to turn them in....go figure.

cus the ATF has the slugs in storage... they have it in all the forensics database's i'm sure

i think worn rifling makes it more unique