2000-3000 bucks.

Check the gunbroker.com auctions. Most of them are marked TIGER. There are about 6 or 7 up for auction right now in that price range.

get a Norinco, they(7.62x54r) out shoot the Tiger SVD. I had both and was bummed with China over Russia by .5-.75 moa.

I only ask because I'm going to go look at one this weekend that's priced at $1800 (but may come with some 7n1 ammo cases). It seems stiff to me but I've always wanted to HOLD the real Russian thing so I'm going to look at it anyway. If I can talk my g/f into letting me buy it (before her engagement ring) then I may just have to.

I'm curious about the inner workings of the SVD. How does the gas system work? Pictures would help. Anyone?

Thanks!

There's a good book--'The Official Sovet SVD Manual' from Paladin Press that would answer your questions. It's not expensive. I've had the opportunity to use the Chinese version of the SVD and have handled a Russian one. Saw an NDM86 recently go for a little over $3k and the Russkies can go for up to $6k.

If I can talk my g/f into letting me buy it (before her engagement ring) then I may just have to.

dude...you either clank when you walk, or you'd better be wearing one hell of a cup when you ask that question

I clank.

It's an SVD Tiger, I mean, the rich man's Saiga-.308.

Here's the thing: If i get the Tiger I wont get a S-308. If I get an S-308, I won't get the tiger, but I might have the money extra to get a s-12 as well.

She doesn't know the difference between CZ and Tetrahedral Carbon Atom but her Aunt does......

SVD's are like diamonds, in a way, artificially low supply causes the price to inflate. If they were still Importable they'd be $600-800 right now. If DeBeers wouldn't hog all the diamonds, they'd be 1/100th the cost they are now. But girls are to naive to realize this. It's a bragging thing girls do to each other. It's like having an SVD at the range. Is it the best gun? No, but it gets the most looks. Are big flawed diamonds the best? No, but they get more looks than perfect small ones. (Cost being equal)

Don't feel too bad about the price.

In France, they sell for about 1900 Euros, and in Germany they go for about 1600E. It's kind of the opposite over there. The Germans have to shell out 3500 Euros for a M1A clone. Quite a mouthful even if it's a custom Fulton Armory rifle.

I have 2 Russian TIGRs 1 Chinese NDM-86 in 54r and one in .308, 2 Romanian PSLs, 1 Yugo M76, and 1 Saiga .308. Ahhhh.....yeah....I like this type of weapon....and they are ALL great in their own way. I started with a TIGR and just got hooked. One of my TIGRs is stock and the other has the full SVD workover....synthetic and military wood sets of furniture (depending on my mood) full hooded front sight with bayo lug and flashhider, correct rear sight leaf, adjustable gas setup, and....ummm....well.....i think that's it. Anyhow...I think if the rifle is decent $1800 is a good price these days for a TIGR. I wish I could send you photos, but I am in Russia now and my guns are back in the states... :(

dude....you better hope your girlfriend dont read that!

Who me? :devil:

I went shopping for rings the other day. GAWD DAMN. I could buy every Saiga variant for the price of the fucking rings out there. 3500-4500???? Sonofabitch.

I'm definitely only doing the marriage thing ONCE. it's too fucking expensive.

The good news is, they make it easier to buy rings than they do to buy guns. 10% down and 12 equal payments of the remainder, interest free. Still, even 10% down is a saiga 12.

/sigh Let's see how long I can put off the girlfriend. I still need my .308 and S12

Don't feel too bad about the price.

In France, they sell for about 1900 Euros, and in Germany they go for about 1600E. It's kind of the opposite over there. The Germans have to shell out 3500 Euros for a M1A clone. Quite a mouthful even if it's a custom Fulton Armory rifle.

Tigrs are cheaper than that though.

in Belgium a Tigr in 7.62x54R goes for about 1500 euros, and in Germany it goes for 1295 euros. if you want a special SVD folding stock, take a little under +200 euros into account.

Tigrs dont differ much from 'the real deal'. no wonder, since they're both created off the same assembly line at Izhmash.

for comparison:

a Saiga 12K goes for 780 euros

a Saiga 12C goes for 649 euros

a Saiga .223 (long barrel 520mm) goes for 599 euros

a Saiga 7.62x39 (long barrel 520mm) goes for 599 euros

a Saiga 7.62x39 (short barrel, AK104 clone) goes for 649 euros

a Saiga Saiga 308 (long barrel 555mm) goes for 689 euros

a Saiga 100 goes for 649 euros

and

a Molot Vepr 12 goes for 1095 euros

(all in Germany)

post-5168-1195849614_thumb.jpg post-5168-1195849674_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1195849719_thumb.jpg post-5168-1195849754_thumb.jpg

Just get the Saiga - any woman worth keeping is worth spending the extra $$$ on and you won't be disappointed with a Saiga in .308 w/ either a 16" or 22" bbl.... The Tigr and SVD have unique and specific parts and accessories and you're limited to 10rnd mags (which are $$$$$). An S-308 will satisty most needs (especially w/ 20-rd mags) and a good woman is hard to come by - especially one who is understanding of our firearms illness. If she's not hip, dump her and find one that is...LOL

Just my .2 cents...

• 2 weeks later...

An SVD works more like a SKS than an AK. Its got a gas piston and an operating rod. Milled receiver, trigger housing, etc...

Really I don't understand the Tigr hate. Its not a rich man's Saiga 308. A saiga 308 is PSL territory. A Tigr is just a PC SVD. Add the bells back to it and the whistles are all already there.

Price wise, the market is $1600-2000 right now on Tigrs. $3000-3500 on NDM's.

100_0139-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...