http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-12/...ent_7321155.htm

Argentina destroys 70,000 guns under civilian disarmament plan

www.chinaview.cn 2007-12-27 10:03:34

BUENOS AIRES, Dec. 26 (Xinhua) -- The Argentine government has destroyed 70,000 guns collected from civilians as part of the National Voluntary Gun Handover Plan, local media reported Wednesday.

Andres Meiszner, director of the National Arms Register with the justice ministry, said the plan offered up to 150 U.S. dollars per gun in reward and guaranteed the anonymity for those who handed over the guns, starting from July 10.

He said that authorities had received on average 500 guns a day, half being just registered or in active use, together with a total of 50,000 rounds of ammunition

The government plans to spend 10 million Argentine pesos (3.18 million U.S. dollars) on the plan in 2008.

Like many Latin Americans, Argentines have traditionally used guns for hunting and property defending while guns can be bought without a license at gun shops.

There are 1.2 million registered firearms in the country by official count with an estimated same amount of unregistered guns.

Gun accidents have been a leading cause of death in Argentina, killing a total of 32,000 people since 1997.

The disarmament plan was triggered by the Belgrano Shooter casein July 2006, when 27-year-old schizophrenic Martin Rios shot five strangers in the capital's suburb Belgrano, killing 18-year-old student Alfredo Marcenac.

Editor: Du Guodong

Gun accidents have been a leading cause of death in Argentina, killing a total of 32,000 people since 1997.

Leading cause? Break that number down into the 10-11 year span they're referring to, and that's about 3,000/year (compared to the population of about 40 million). Maybe they should take cars away from them too, seeing as how car accidents cause more than double the deaths in one year :rolleyes: .

"According to the US State department: "Drivers frequently ignore traffic laws and vehicles often travel at excessive speeds." In 2006 there were about 7,500 people killed in the country in traffic crashes in Argentina." - source

Edited by 22_Shooter

Leading cause? Break that number down into the 10-11 year span they're referring to, and that's about 3,000/year (compared to the population of about 40 million). Maybe they should take cars away from them too, seeing as how car accidents cause more than double the deaths in one year :rolleyes: .

"According to the US State department: "Drivers frequently ignore traffic laws and vehicles often travel at excessive speeds." In 2006 there were about 7,500 people killed in the country in traffic crashes in Argentina." - source

with Hugo runnin' the show, I bet there will be allot MORE "Gun Accidents".

This is freaking hilarious. Let me get this straight, they had a nutcase shoot 5 people and they have criminal shootings and they think that if they spend 3.1m (which they can ill afford) that this will prevent all this?

So all the nutjobs are turning in their weapons now? And the criminals too? Wow, who would thunk it was that easy.

Edited by Paladin
This is freaking hilarious. Let me get this straight, they had a nutcase shoot 5 people and they have criminal shootings and they think that if they spend 3.1m (which they can ill afford) that this will prevent all this?

So all the nutjobs are turning in their weapons now? And the criminals too? Wow, who would thunk it was that easy.

thisk of the money that would have been saved if one of the 5 had a CCW... (Or whatever they would call it down there.)

The normal third world, leftist bullshit.

The truth has very little to do with the media or govt, especially in countries where there are no checks and balances.

I'm willing to bet Malaria, AIDS, Cancer and even Flu are responsible for more deaths that guns in Argentina. Hell, it's the freakin amazon, how about snakes, spiders, scorpions and other nasties?

What a load!

well I guess I know where the next genocide will take place

This is what happens when lawful citizens are denied their right to gun ownership of ANY kind - many of these guys had a pistol, if they had the same level of weaponry as the government assas....sorry, I mean criminals, they may have had a chance!

WARNING! This is very graphic, but we are all adults here....

http://www.africancrisis.org/photos45.asp

MODS, please feel free to remove if it violates forum policy.

well I guess I know where the next genocide will take place

This is what happens when lawful citizens are denied their right to gun ownership of ANY kind - many of these guys had a pistol, if they had the same level of weaponry as the government assas....sorry, I mean criminals, they may have had a chance!

WARNING! This is very graphic, but we are all adults here....

http://www.africancrisis.org/photos45.asp

MODS, please feel free to remove if it violates forum policy.

:eek: That is some gory shit!

Yeah it's the part of the Nelson MAndela story that the leftist media doesn't want you to see or hear - how thousands of Boere are being tortured and murdered in the New, Free South Africa. Never saw shit like this before - not even under the worst days of Apartheid.

I had a friend that got attacked in his house. They waited behind a door and chopped him in the head with an ax. 5 times. He died a few days later, and we had to clean up. The 3 guys that did it served an effective jail term of about 3 months each. They stole a cd player and a few cd's. Now does that sound like a regular robbery to you? His farm was taken by the government a few months later.

20-25 years ago every second week Newsweek had a cover story from SA. Before that it was Rhodesia . "Mr" Mugabe doesn't conduct fair elections for 25 years, it's an absolute dictartoship and criminality in Rhodesia and SA it's of the highest in the world today while people are starving...Where are the good journalists to report now for these crimes? The US did it's best to destroy these two countries for not being "one man- one vote". Well where is the "one man- one vote" for the Palestinians ??? Dear friend you brought me back thirty years ago in RA, these were days...

Joe

Yeah it's the part of the Nelson MAndela story that the leftist media doesn't want you to see or hear - how thousands of Boere are being tortured and murdered in the New, Free South Africa. Never saw shit like this before - not even under the worst days of Apartheid.

I had a friend that got attacked in his house. They waited behind a door and chopped him in the head with an ax. 5 times. He died a few days later, and we had to clean up. The 3 guys that did it served an effective jail term of about 3 months each. They stole a cd player and a few cd's. Now does that sound like a regular robbery to you? His farm was taken by the government a few months later.

70,000 cases of stupidity. You can't ever EVER just blindly trust the government with your own personal safety. They will not be there when you need their help.

I'll take being called a gun nut over getting hit in the head with an axe 5 times.

20-25 years ago every second week Newsweek had a cover story from SA. Before that it was Rhodesia . "Mr" Mugabe doesn't conduct fair elections for 25 years, it's an absolute dictartoship and criminality in Rhodesia and SA it's of the highest in the world today while people are starving...Where are the good journalists to report now for these crimes? The US did it's best to destroy these two countries for not being "one man- one vote". Well where is the "one man- one vote" for the Palestinians ??? Dear friend you brought me back thirty years ago in RA, these were days...

Joe

Joe,

I see we have some Rhodies among our midst! I'm too young to have experienced the true Rhodesia, but I have a few friends that fought against Mugabe. You raise a very interesting point...where are the fervent anti- everything reporters now? Why are they only reporting about a "drought" in Zimbabwe instead of the truth - that Mugabe took the breadbasket of Southern Africa and turned it into a wasteland!

As for Argentina and their 70 000 guns, every gun taken away from lawful citizens equals a life wasted!

Argentines are some of the most arrogant people on the face of the earth. Their country is a typical South American dictatorship with an unstable economy so they try to distract people with disarmament. If these people are so stupid to welcome Juan Peron back from exile to take ove their country now they turn in 70,000 weapons. Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Esai Morales of Bolivia will make sure AK-47 reach the communists in Argentina and fuck up the country.

I heard what happened in Rhodesia to the white farmers and how a great country was given to the terrorist Mugabe by the perfidious British. The Rhodesians were giving their citizens equal rights then the British helped Mugabe come to power in a 'fair' election in 1980. South Africa is going down the drain and has been since the terrorist Nelson Mandela took over the country. Unfortunately it's been a free for all against whites in both countries and blacks haven't faired that well either.