Anyone shoot Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays?

So does anyone shoot Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays? I know my Tromix conversion won't be worth a damn out there but what about some of the unconverted 24" barreled ones with some different chokes on the end? This would be a cheap alternative to have to dish out $1000+ for a nice over/under. I'm talking about shooting clays at an actual range with different stations and longer distances than just shooting out in the middle of nowhere with hand thrower.

ACTUALLY, before I left NY, one of the things I enjoyed betting on was close-in skeet shooting. I mean, I stood halfway downrange, had clay fired about 5-20 feet in front of me, PAST me, and shot it as it went by quickly. Think the most rapid clay you could try, and thats what I shot regularly back home.

I have won a lot of dollar bills with my saiga12.

get used to it, learn it, and take them on. you WILL BE surprised....you should be able to devestate them.....

(to answer your question, it works REAL good, put a polychoke on it)

my 12 is ROUGHLY an improved cylinder choke to modified choke, 19", chopped EAA import.

Edited by Bvamp
ACTUALLY, before I left NY, one of the things I enjoyed betting on was close-in skeet shooting. I mean, I stood halfway downrange, had clay fired about 5-20 feet in front of me, PAST me, and shot it as it went by quickly. Think the most rapid clay you could try, and thats what I shot regularly back home.

I have won a lot of dollar bills with my saiga12.

get used to it, learn it, and take them on. you WILL BE surprised....you should be able to devestate them.....

(to answer your question, it works REAL good, put a polychoke on it)

my 12 is ROUGHLY an improved cylinder choke to modified choke, 19", chopped EAA import.

Yeah I'm pretty good when my buddies are firing clays when they are standing close by. I want to know if the longer barrel and the correct choke would let me shoot the right pattern at 50 yards or so for some real sporting clays.

Yes, at Camp Lejeune here in NC they have a "Trap/Skeet Club" that meets for monthly competition and guess who just decides to go that day with both S12's....yes yours truely. MAN YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THEIR FACES!!

The best comment I heard was..."Hey boy, you know you need a shotgun to shoot here don'cha?" :wacko: and my reply was "Yes sir I do, and I got these two here with me." :haha: They postponed the competition about 20 minutes as I loaded a APG up and let loose a few 10 round 2-3/4" #7-1/2 lead curtain mag dumps....no pigeon was beyond me even with a 18.5" Shark Braked barrel. :devil: I actually think some of the old timers liked to see the rapid fire sessions.

Edited by MCASgt New River

MCASgt your guys are a lot cooler than the skeet range I go to. They only allow two shots.

I do agree about the look on their faces when I pulled my saiga out of a tennis bag. Like I had lobsters growing out of my ears. I did about as well with it as I did with the OU shotguns I usually rent which is about 50% and occasional doubles.

Between messing with the bolt hold open and the magazine I think the OU shotguns are a lot better for skeet.

Whats up with the striked out nanny goat, airsoft rifle, and whatever it is hanging off the top? The few, the proud, the banned?

• Like 1

Not to get off topic but I was banned on BARF for not paying a business membership for doing everything I do and have done here. They said I was a big time business seller because I sell a lot of one product...i.e. Grip Pods, Magazines ect.

Sad thing is I own 2 AR's and have a 3rd (SBR) comming in.

I used to use my S12 for skeet, did pretty well with it. Shot about as well with it as I did my Fanchi 612v. Now I've got a Beretta O/U, and I'm not quite as good with it yet, but it's definitely a better skeet gun (i think).

imo the sight picture offered over the gas tube makes it harder for me to get on target quickly. it's more my problem tho. when I throw it up there and try to see the barrel on the bird I'll be too high. I've been thinking that the krebs sight might help to give something to put on target but I see they're out of stock AGAIN. What I really need to do is get off my ass and drill more om my mount because when I keep the discipline of getting mt cheek down on the stock I get the proper sight pic and the Saiga performs well. what a concept.

Took mine out yesterday to the clays....totally obliterated em! Taking em out to about 40 yards on cylinder using homeload 30g 6's.This is using a 24" "original" setup with Olegs svds stock.Found the trick to be use the whole sight "surround" not just the post.

Best moment was when the trapper doubled em up as a surprise by tucking mini's underneath the clays....and smashing 3 of em in one shot and dusting the last 1 sec later :)

Got to hand to my missus though only her second time shooting clays (bought her an old berretta 56E) and she dusted some pairs very nicely!

She got the hump when i started shooting the halves she left though! :P

I'm too poor to have different guns for different things so my Saiga 12 does the lot. It has a short (for here) barrel of 24" including about 5" of flash hider and is therefore now cylinder bore. Makes the pattern a bit open but I try to compensate with plastic wads and a heavy load.

I have used it on game shoots and on clays. Most people are interested to see it but I did get a jobsworth at one club come and check I only had two in the magazine. I think he'll have a fit should I turn up with one of MD's drums!

I'm no great clay shot but I think it performed OK. The close things like rabbit suited it very well and even those from the high tower broke well enough. I didn't "dust" them but they broke well enough.

I'm talking about shooting clays at an actual range with different stations and longer distances than just shooting out in the middle of nowhere with hand thrower.

The cheapest quick fix is an old Wingmaster with 2 3/4" chamber at a gun show for $200, sell barrel and get one with choke tubes. I say sell the barrel because it will likely be a fixed choke in Full or Modified. Fine for trap. Great training gun overall.

Just remember, Trap, Skeet and Sporting clays are all different.

As for why an uncoverted Saiga........cheek weld on the standard stock is 1000 times better than the average folder. A poor fit will destroy you before you take the first shot. A pistol grip gives you no advantage of any kind on clays. Barrel length does nothing on a Saiga regarding your sight picture as it is off the top of the gas tube, not the barrel. This has the same affect on point of aim that a raised rib has has on a conventional barrel, just shorter. A longer barrel will addd weight which will smooth out your swing.

Trap: Bird moving at 60mph, you are between 16 and 27 yards away from the trap house. Ideal gun has a long sight plane, soem kind of raised vent rib, full choke......a game of muscle memorization, probably the worst choice of the three for the average Saiga. Does not give you a lot in general, skills wise, compared to other two.

Skeet and Sporting clays in General can be shot with an IC choke. While there is memorization to skeet, the looks are wider ranging compared to trap. Sporting clays, most fun you can have with a shotgun. Some great info on the Remington site about how to shoot.

I worked in two ATA clubs as a kid, was trained by national Champs, including 3 in my family and when it gets down to it, it is just about going out there and knowing you can do it. So many guys get hung up on their gun as their excuse. Regardless of gun, start with going away shots. Shoulder your gun, hold it a bit low, call for the bird, swing up smooth on the bird, as your muzzle covers it shoot and follow through / continue your guns swing.

Gun fit is everything.

Shoot sporting clays with some good shooters who are not pricks and will coach you and do not worry if you miss 70% to 80% of the shots. And yes, leave the Saiga behind if you have to. Key is to learn how to shoot a shotgun first, then you can bust their chops later with your Saiga.

That is the reason I bought my first one, just to pull it out and see the look on peoples faces. Worth every dime. :haha:

If you are willing to go to Dallas I could suggest a club to go to where a friend is one of the club pros. I miss my business trips to Dallas. Being in Texas, you are surrounded by places to shoot clays.

Edited by Zoub
hay Zoub Have you ever shot clays at clear creek sporting clay in Danville

No, but I have thought about it a million times, especially now that I am a SW side guy. I live near Bradis. I barely shoot the past few years, life has been busy but for all the wrong reasons.

These days I shoot more clays in VA when I visit my brother, that is screwed up, but great courses and we can bring any gun.

Does Clear creek have a hard on for tactical guns? Some of the guys with Saigas need some practice and some fun with clays would be the way to go. I know we can go down to lost river game preserve and shoot anything we want, but that is almost 100 miles, just north of Paoli but a fun time.

We really need to find a clays course that is fun and laid back.

So a factory 24" s-12 with the right choke will work just fine for any type of clay shooting is the long and short of it. Looks like I will have to buy another s-12, oh well :D Thanks guys!

"work just fine" is relative. It may suck in your hands for a lot of reasons but having the appropriate choke will help increase the effective range at which you can still shoot and suck trying. If you are going to suck, at least look good doing it.

You gotta start somewhere. Just balme the gun for everything bad and take all the credit when you are good.

Edited by Zoub
hay Zoub Have you ever shot clays at clear creek sporting clay in Danville

No, but I have thought about it a million times, especially now that I am a SW side guy. I live near Bradis. I barely shoot the past few years, life has been busy but for all the wrong reasons.

These days I shoot more clays in VA when I visit my brother, that is screwed up, but great courses and we can bring any gun.

Does Clear creek have a hard on for tactical guns? Some of the guys with Saigas need some practice and some fun with clays would be the way to go. I know we can go down to lost river game preserve and shoot anything we want, but that is almost 100 miles, just north of Paoli but a fun time.

We really need to find a clays course that is fun and laid back.

This spot I go ot in Noblesville is O.K., It's close to my house and cheap. That's what keeps me going back. Only $4 a

round and lunch is $3. Alot better than driving to New Castle, Wilbur Wright FWA. Reguardles of what looks we get, if we bum rush the joint it's ours. Sat 10 - 2 and Wed 12 - 2. It's called Crooked Creek Conservation Club, with a web site.

EDIT: sounds like some seedy behavior. HA!

Edited by gopensyall