Hey LEO's (and others who carry for work)

Just wondering what the handgun of choice is among the professionals is...?

My other question.... can you pick and choose your own... or is it Dept. regulated what you carry?

If you ARE regulated, what would you "want" if you could choose?

95% of the officers I'm around carry a Glock 21 (.45ACP) or some version of the Glock in their department issued caliber. If they get permission they can carry a 1911. I've seen some carry Berretta 92S's.

Most departments, if they let you bring your own gun, make you choose from 9mm, 40 S&W, or .45ACP, because thats what they carry. When I applied for the police academy, I had to buy my own (ended up buying a Springfield XD in .45ACP after much research, very happy with it)

It varies from department to department, some make you use their guns, some pay you to buy a gun (equipment allowance), some make you buy your own.

As for backup guns (you're usually required to carry at least one), I think it can also be .38 special or .357, but I'm not sure on that. Then most people go with a small, hammerless wheelgun.

As Bonesaw indicated, weapons policies vary from department to department. I carry a Glock 22 (.40 S&W), which is department issued. Glocks in .40 S&W and 9mm are probably the most common duty weapons in U.S. law enforcement. They work very well. One advantage is that if you carry a sub-compact version in the same caliber as a backup, the higher capacity magazines from your duty weapon will fit the backup gun. Many officers in my department take this route. A few use an S&W J-frame in .38+P as a backup.

That being said, there are many other good options. When my department allowed officers to carry individually-purchased duty weapons, I had a Sig P220 and (later) a Glock 21 (both .45 ACP). The grip on the Glock 21 was too large for my hands, but I liked both of those guns quite well overall. I like the Springfield XD even better than the Glock, but I no longer have the option of carrying one on duty. Just about any HIGH QUALITY handgun is fine. Reliability is the main consideration. Other than that, it is really a matter of personal preference (e.g., what fits your hand the best, the kind of trigger you like the best, control ergonomics, available accessories, etc.). If I had a choice, I would carry a Springfield XD in .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

Edited by hogdog

My duty weapon is a Glock 20C. I wear a Glock 27 when I am in suit and tie. My last issue was a Glock 21.

When I was younger and worked for an SO that would let me get away with it I carried a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum in a IMI Basket weave duty rig. But I was younger and wilder them...

When I worked the Fugitive Task Force I carried a pair of Glock 20 or 21 in a dual cross draw shoulder rig I had custom made. Again, because I could get away with it!

Sig 228 normally with 1 extra mag minimum. Keltec P32 as BUG. Was doing a Glock 30 for abit both on/off duty. I do private work so I regulate myself.

When I do have others in a group setting working for me I try to make sure they all have the same type of firearm to readily swap mags between them.

Normally LEO's don't have choice, they are issued sidearms by beancounter- lawyer-administration types. This means they get the cheapest and "safest (for the criminal)" weapon that the beancounter is cajolled/bribed into buying by the industry hype and advertising. That does not mean that all guns are junk, but it does mean they may not fit your needs. I would keep my own council on gun choices rather then buy the gun choice of the week for those who do not use them. It is sort of like the surge in sales of SIGs after "24" made it to TV, SIGs are great guns but they are not my choice due to ergonomics.

No offense meant to those few who serve and are actually up to speed about guns and shooting. However, we all know that many who do serve should not even be issued weapons due to their lack of skill, lack of interest in practice and lack of interest in proper training. And before I get too much flack for this, I have trained with some of the best out there (SRT, SWAT, DOE Protective, etc.) and my hats of to those of you who make the grade. My point is that just wearing the uniform and having a badge does not make one a professional or knowledgeable about firearms and their use.

I'll add that the Glock is chosen by many departments because it is cheap, easy to operate, reliable, accurate and can get along well without cleaning or lubrication. It is an excellent choice for those officers who view the pistol in the same manner as their handcuffs and ink pen; jsut another tool of their job.

1911 myself. I've got guys who carry SIGs, Glocks or M&Ps. Whatever they choose in 9mm, .40, .45 or .357sig that they can pass our certification standards with.

Before I moved into the private sector and was still active with the department we got SIG 226s. Fine weapons, but I never really liked them much.

Small rural Dept., reserve status now. Carry what you qualify with. S & W 1076 , Kimber 1911 10MM target, or Glock 29. Best might be most use to 1076. Bought when left Feds. Youngins like large capacity. .40 seems popular. Sheriff at age 62 still carries Colt .44 mag. Whatever carried, be effecient. At competitions every summer, can't believe the shooting at real life situations. :smoke:

When I first became a civilian LEO after leaving the service I worked as a reserve officer for a Sheriff's Department where we had to supply and qualify with our own weapon. I chose a Colt Lawman Mk III in 357 Magnum. I loved that little piece. When revolvers started going "out of style" I picked up a Ruger P-91DC in 40 S&W.

Later agencies issued either Sigs or Glocks.

My current agency exclusively issues Glock 23's (.40 S&W). I think these are certainly sufficient but prefer the Springfield XD-45 Tactical that I used to carry off duty.

Maine Marshal

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone feel their "issue weapon" don't cut it?

Edit to add: if not...Why?

a buddy of mine still uses a G17 at his department, the only thing he likes about it is the mag cap. otherwise he hates it, and its not allowed (yet) to carry your own personal weapon of choice...but our sheriffs have been known to sport a nice hi cap 1911 or even 10mm (colt delta)

a buddy of mine still uses a G17 at his department, the only thing he likes about it is the mag cap. otherwise he hates it, and its not allowed (yet) to carry your own personal weapon of choice...but our sheriffs have been known to sport a nice hi cap 1911 or even 10mm (colt delta)

The Glock 17/26 combo is a great combo. One can buy a match grade barrel for the G17 for about a hundred bucks. Hard to hate a G17 with night sights.

Interesting that you should ask that---we have been carrying Sig 226/229 in 9mm (+p+ rounds) since the department went to semi-autos from revolvers and in the last five years or so it just seems like most of our shootings did NOT result in death or even a stopping of the aggressive act of the bad guy----needless to say there was a lot of "loss of confidence" in this particular issue weapon.....just recently we have finally heard the word that this fall when we recert we will be going to Sig 40's.... Now before people flame away about shot placement/poor shooting by most cops---the shootings that I mentioned where the badguy really wasn't stopped had great shotplacement---just what you would want/train for....now that's not saying that all the folks on the department could do that BUT that's a totally different discussion......

On a side note for offical off-duty carry we can carry the Sig 226/229/239 in 9mm, glock 26 or if you are an "old timer" a revolver...there hasn't been an offical decision on what will be on that list when we go to the 40's........

Interesting that you should ask that---we have been carrying Sig 226/229 in 9mm (+p+ rounds) since the department went to semi-autos from revolvers and in the last five years or so it just seems like most of our shootings did NOT result in death or even a stopping of the aggressive act of the bad guy----needless to say there was a lot of "loss of confidence" in this particular issue weapon.....just recently we have finally heard the word that this fall when we recert we will be going to Sig 40's.... Now before people flame away about shot placement/poor shooting by most cops---the shootings that I mentioned where the badguy really wasn't stopped had great shotplacement---just what you would want/train for....now that's not saying that all the folks on the department could do that BUT that's a totally different discussion......

On a side note for offical off-duty carry we can carry the Sig 226/229/239 in 9mm, glock 26 or if you are an "old timer" a revolver...there hasn't been an offical decision on what will be on that list when we go to the 40's........

Gee wilikers! The 9mm you say, who would have thunk it? Certainly not Gabe or Saigaczech.

Our issue weapon is a Sig P229 in .357 SIG.

Great round and a really good gun.

Not my personal favorite, but I've been carrying this current one for 10 years.

Not much finish left on it but it works!

For off duty I'm too old and set in my ways...S&W 4566........

BUT!!!!

I get to carry a S-12 for a duty shotty!!!