what is the purpose of the "plunger"

Okay, please don't take this the wrong way, but you really shouldn't be owning a gun with as little common sense as you're demonstrating. With the weapon unloaded, push it and see what happens! Even as robust as AKs are, they occasionally need cleaning too. How do you think you're gonna get to the internals? Bingo!

Please take the time to get to know your weapon MUCH better before you fire it. Know what every piece is for and how it contributes to the whole.

Be safe,

Acer

Wow is this GlockTalk?

Is this the part you're talking about Brent?

wtf.jpg

The "plunger" you speak of is what is holding the top cover on. If you push it in, it will allow for disassembly. Here's a video with a basic "field strip" and description of the AK platform. This is based on a 7.62x39 model, but most everything is the same. Please excuse the peanut gallery, forum members here are usually more friendly toward new guys. Check out the tech section for more info. Enjoy, and welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhsoi0d9PA...feature=related

It's a nipple....suck on it!! :haha::haha::haha::bag:

Sorry, couldn't refuse kicking ya on your way down.

Like everyone is saying...Take the time to get to know your weapon prior to loading. Fully strip, clean, lube and reassemble your Saiga. Hell, even a avid shooter like my self was a little stumped on getting the puck out of the gas block at first....damn thing was FILTHY!! :(:bag:

Okay, please don't take this the wrong way, but you really shouldn't be owning a gun with as little common sense as you're demonstrating. With the weapon unloaded, push it and see what happens! Even as robust as AKs are, they occasionally need cleaning too. How do you think you're gonna get to the internals? Bingo!

Please take the time to get to know your weapon MUCH better before you fire it. Know what every piece is for and how it contributes to the whole.

Be safe,

Acer

thanks for the lecture asshole........I just bought this gun 6 hrs ago.......I didn't see in manual where it said what it was for.......I could of possibly over looked it. But obviously I am trying to learn about the gun before I shoot it. Again....thanks for all of the unecessary time you took typing that paragraph. Thanks to the guys that actually just answered my simple question.

Be safe,

Acer

thanks for the lecture asshole........I just bought this gun 6 hrs ago.......I didn't see in manual where it said what it was for.......I could of possibly over looked it. But obviously I am trying to learn about the gun before I shoot it. Again....thanks for all of the unecessary time you took typing that paragraph. Thanks to the guys that actually just answered my simple question.

Hey, I was trying to be helpful. Just seemed like one of those no-brainer kind of things. I'd never even handled an AK before I got my Saiga, and it was immediately apparent to me what it was for. Guess some of us have the gene for fiddling with things and some don't.

underappreciated helpful asshole,

Acer

Edited by acer_saiga308

its pretty easy read up on it. take a look around here you will find a lot of help, as well as a lot of critics. Most of the members around here are very helpful and will do what they can, and if somebody gives you shit theyre probably just messin with you.

Go easy on GlockTalk. Not everyone over there is a total moron. I've been on GT for a few years, I've owned guns all my life and I haven't blown a new hole in myself yet!

I was referring to how everyone got on the flame wagon quickly. You can't ask a question there without a half-dozen fast-handed assclowns making smartass quips at your expense.

this gun is badass........I'm just not familiar with it........I'd never messed with an AK or anything. But trust me....I'm eager to learn as much as I can about this thing.

Then I suggest you start by spending the weekend reading every thread on this site.

Well, maybe not EVERY thread.........

But you will find more tech info on that weapon here than on any other site!

Easy on the Noobies guys! Remember there are no stupid questions.......but there are stupid answers! Lets not put the "Cherries on point" here!!

from how I have looked and handled this gun over the years, from my PRACTICAL USE standpoint, the retaining plunger, is to account for the great VARIETY of shotgun loads, and thus, reciever flex that occurs. it will keep a frightful dust cover ejection from happening, and all the end-user will see, is the front of it came out, AFTER they are done with a mag.

its a safety feature to prevent an erronous user from blasting themselves in the eye with the dust cover if the gun's gas setting is wrong!!!!

OR variation, pick one. Im sure those both fit...........

THAT is what I have practically learned over the abuses I have put on mine. Take it with a grain of salt.

-out-

The plunger is to clear a clog in the pipe (cylindrical looking thing sticking out the far end of the gun). If you get a clog, pump the plunger several times. It also helps keep the seat (that metal flap cover on the top of the gun) down.

Since you are a beginner go to this site which will show you how to take an AK apart.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

They have information and history on the AK rifle and how to build one if you decide to do it. This site had the information to help me take my SKS apart and clean out the cosmoline.

Good stuff there on Cosmo removal! Thanks!