Did anybody see "No Country for Old Men?"

I heard so much about it I borrowed the dvd from my son to see what it was all about. And unfortunately I must agree with you. I didn't "get it." The ending was anti-climatic and made no sense whatsoever to me. They didn't wrap things up and left a lot of loose ends. I wouldn't go out and buy it and won't watch it again.

Hello, Juggernaut

I never considered that it was a dream. I just thought it was pretty damn discouraging. Kind of validates what a shithole our "society" is becoming.

I never figured out what the deal was in the hotel room, though...I think they both knew the other was there.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

WARNING-SPOILERS!!!

I didn't care for it. Right off the bat the "hero" did something that no sane person would do. Imagine you came across a drug deal gone bad and you helped yourself to $2M of their money. Would YOU go back to the scene hours later to give water to a gut shot gang banger you did not know, that was probably already dead. When you KNOW somebody is going to come looking for their drugs/money!!??

Then, when our hero knows there on to him, he just goes from hotel to hotel? If I lived in a trailer and my wife worked at ChinaMart and I came into $2M and I know their looking for me, my wife and I are gone!!! Get a car and drive the hell out of there. I would be 1000 miles away by the next day.

Woody Harrelson, and Tommy Lee Jones might as well not have been in the movie, they had no impact whatsoever. Woody was barely in it at all and Jones did not protect the good guy, catch the bad guy or do anything but chat with the deputy.

The end was shitty, we follow this guy the whole movie and then you get a quick scene of him shot dead on the floor of yet another hotel room (at least 3 by my count) Tommy Lee retires and the bad guy walks away after killing the guys wife....

The only thing I liked was the suppressor on the shotgun-cool! :super:

I on the other had thought that it was a great movie. Typical Coen Brothers ending, if not a traditional Hollywood one. Here are some of the Coen Brothers other movies you may have seen/heard of:

Fargo

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The Big Lebowski

Miller's Crossing

The Hudsucker Proxy

The Man Who Wasn't There

Raising Arizona

Blood Simple

Barton Fink

I have ranked them in the order I liked them, though some of the positions are frankly ties!

No Country for Old Men was not designed to be a happy movie about a psychotic serial killer. The title of the movie is the punch line.

As to Paladin's comment about the "hero" Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) doing something that no sane person would do. Well I guess that depends. I have been so thirsty that I almost died of heat stroke. It is a terrible way to die. I see no reason to subject any human being to that without extreme necessity. I would have gave the bandito water or put him down.

On the other hand, I agree, Llewelyn had an extremely poor sense of timing for his pang of consciousness. The whole thing could have been handled with a call to the authorities from a payphone. But then again he was not a professional, he was an ex-vet that lived in a trailer park, that was out hunting for some cheap meat for the table and stumbled onto a treasure.

As to the Tommy Lee Jones not protecting the anti-hero, well that is the point, the Sheriff was over-matched by the villain, "Anton Chigurh" played quite well by Javier Bardem.

Also we do not know that the Llewelyn's wife, "Carla Jean Moss" was killed. We don't know the outcome of the coin toss, or even if she ultimately chose, we do know that the villain respected his macabre little ritual.

Like I said, I liked it a lot. I bought it for my collection after watching it at the theater. But, to each his own!

outside of the bullshit, I thought that movie was really about its title...time have changed, and it isnt like it once was, any more. even for the REAL criminals. I think with a movie, you have to not read so much into it, when it is put as a drama.

I on the other had thought that it was a great movie. Typical Coen Brothers ending, if not a traditional Hollywood one. Here are some of the Coen Brothers other movies you may have seen/heard of:

Fargo

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The Big Lebowski

Miller's Crossing

The Hudsucker Proxy

The Man Who Wasn't There

Raising Arizona

Blood Simple

Barton Fink

I have ranked them in the order I liked them, though some of the positions are frankly ties!

No Country for Old Men was not designed to be a happy movie about a psychotic serial killer. The title of the movie is the punch line.

As to Paladin's comment about the "hero" Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) doing something that no sane person would do. Well I guess that depends. I have been so thirsty that I almost died of heat stroke. It is a terrible way to die. I see no reason to subject any human being to that without extreme necessity. I would have gave the bandito water or put him down.

On the other hand, I agree, Llewelyn had an extremely poor sense of timing for his pang of consciousness. The whole thing could have been handled with a call to the authorities from a payphone. But then again he was not a professional, he was an ex-vet that lived in a trailer park, that was out hunting for some cheap meat for the table and stumbled onto a treasure.

As to the Tommy Lee Jones not protecting the anti-hero, well that is the point, the Sheriff was over-matched by the villain, "Anton Chigurh" played quite well by Javier Bardem.

Also we do not know that the Llewelyn's wife, "Carla Jean Moss" was killed. We don't know the outcome of the coin toss, or even if she ultimately chose, we do know that the villain respected his macabre little ritual.

Like I said, I liked it a lot. I bought it for my collection after watching it at the theater. But, to each his own!

That movie was amazing, it was made for movie people, film buffs. Everything about it was fantastic.

Spoiler: You know what happens in the end, she dies. They don't come out and say it, they just show him checking the bottom of his boots for blood.

The movie was about how much the world changes as you grow old. If you listen to the part where tommy lee jones visits that retired cop who got shot, they talk about if he ever thought about killing the guy that shot him when he was release from prison. The retiree basically said that he had too much to lose by doing so.

The ending was about how Tommy Lee Jones was now in that position, and how Anton got away with killing Llewelyn. He looked at it as his personal failure, and there was no way to resolve that. It was how the world no longer was a place for the ideals and sense of justice possessed by those who gained it decades ago.

It was a good movie.

Are you daft? The audience well knows the outcome of the coin toss... by Anton Chigurh's mannerism upon exiting the house; when he pauses at the porch to check his shoes.

The details are in the subtlety.

:angel:

I'm not so dense as I did not get the symbolism of it. For example the method that was used to kill people. Thats the way they kill cattle, and he viewed people as cattle. As long as he kept his own code (coin toss, keeping his word, etc.) he viewed people as nothing more.

But, I felt they tried too hard to be quirky. The going back hours later set the tone for me, it just wouldn't be done by 99.99999% of people. If he felt so bad about the drug dealer being thirsty he could have called it in, maybe he could have gotten medical help too?

Tommy Lee knew the whole story, but didn't put a security detail on the wife? etc, etc.

There was just too many holes in it for me to give it anything but 2 stars.

Fargo, O'Brother, Raising Arizona are some of my favorite movies, I even have the sound track to O'Brother and I never buy soundtracks (okay, I have "Get Shorty" too)

Fargo, O'Brother, Raising Arizona are some of my favorite movies, I even have the sound track to O'Brother and I never buy soundtracks (okay, I have "Get Shorty" too)

But.... dem is Gospel songs! :eek: LOL!!!!

Sometimes the ending sucks and there is no justice for the innocent and evil wins. I already knew that and didn't need the reminder. I think they were trying to hard to make the scene at the gas station with the old man creepy. It was too Frank Boothish.

It was too Frank Boothish.

Frank would have kicked Chigurh's ass, huffed on his air tank, drank a Pabst's and cruised on over to pussy heaven!

pussyheaven.mp3

toast.mp3

Are you daft?

No, I mean you have never seen me at one of those meetings you people hold have you?

The audience well knows the outcome of the coin toss... by Anton Chigurh's mannerism upon exiting the house; when he pauses at the porch to check his shoes....

Gary, the problem here is that we have different definitions of the word "knows." I know what I can prove.

I suspect that Chigurh killed her as well, but I see many people check their shoes weekly, I doubt seriously that most of them have just committed a murder.

But.... dem is Gospel songs! :eek: LOL!!!!

I know, I know..don't tell anybody!

As Azriel said, typical Cohen ending. There was no question to me whether or not he killed the wife in the end. "Clean shoes" were one of the guys signature peeves when he killed everyone else.

I just loved the exchange between the BG and the guy who "Married into" the convenience store. Awesome scene, even I got uncomfortable.

Saw this movie last night. It pretty much had me up until the point dude gets shot by the Mehicans in the hotel room. I was really hoping for another shootout between him and Chigurh. The air hammer and the suppressed shotgun were badass! Didn't like the ending though, it just seemed like they didn't really have a plan for it. THe movie did have some nice "jump in your seat" type moments though, and that Chigurh dude was one bad ass killer!

2316371620_5fcf7468f2.jpg

2296462967_5e09139f6f.jpg

Travis Hafner as Anton Chigurh

2387474725_4b55aa4850.jpg

my 5 year old drew this after watching the movie....

2278486410_37fa1801b7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done watching it.

So what's he deal with the suppressed shotty? I've never seen that before. Is it for real?

If it was, I'd assume Tony or Bob would have one :D .

Edited by 22_Shooter
Just got done watching it.

So what's he deal with the suppressed shotty? I've never seen that before. Is it for real?

If it was, I'd assume Tony or Bob would have one :D .

ya think??

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16371