dpharms muzzle attachments are in!

I was on dpharms site tonight and they have the new slide on set screw muzzle attachments. I ordered the phantom type and will try to do a complete test and report on this as soon as I get it. They also have the 74 style brake that I might end up ordering later. I looked at these when they were in the prototype phase and it will be nice to see if they are as nice as those were. I am a little anxious to see if they function as well as they look. The good news is they don't cost an arm and a leg price is $34.99. I got mine out the door after tax and shipping at $45. Take a look and see what you guys think.

http://dpharms.com/saiga-saiga-muzzle-item...280a5d1a0e15392

As for the tentative test I have planned what would be a good way to demonstrate muzzle climb? The only thing I can think of is a video from the side of slow and rapid fire. I think muzzle flash would also be shown the same way.

These slide on to the front sight block and then are set screwed into place. They have a cover that prevents the set screws from backing out, and covers the holes making it less noticable. After talking with Scott Gulledge of dpharms at a gun show he showed me the prototype on a Saiga and it looks like it is screwed on like the AK74. As soon as I get mine I will post some pictures.

I talked to Scott the next day in Raleigh and he showed me the new brake. He's got some other nice surprises lined up for the S-12 too. Like all the custom stuff he deals in, it's very high quality and looks really nice. It fits very snug onto the sleeve of the FSB and does look like it's a threaded on brake. It has another advantage though, it can go all the way up snug against the FSB unlike some other brakes that do thread on. This is a problem caused by the length of the barrel sticking out past the FSB. For instance, if you cut the sleeve and thread the barrel, a slant brake won't look right or be able to index with the FSB.

I'm no expert on 922 but I think it would be fine because it is made in the us, and is not a foreign made part. Just my $.02.

30 round magazines and pistol grips are also made in the US but they're still a violation of 922r unless you've removed enough foreign parts. Generally speaking, I'm pretty sure that threaded barrels on rifles would make it non sporting.

This muzzle attachment doesn't thread onto the barrel, but I think any muzzle attachment falls under 922. But if you don't go over the 10 part count of foreign made parts it should not be a violation of 922. This is why people use the US compliance part over the much cheaper foreign counter part. Like I said I'm not the expert on 922 and am certainly no lawyer. You could check with the law part of this forum and I'm sure some one there would be able to definitively tell you for sure.

Ok I got one today and had to give Scott at dpharms a call. My front sight block measured out at .710" and the muzzle attachment at .705". Close right and I also thought well my gun has been Dura coated since new. So I stripped off the dura coat at the front sight block that was an ordeal in its own. Still wont fit, so a call to Scott revealed the these are to be a tight press fit. I told him where I was with it and he told me that he would send me another. Also to go with this is the fact that he didn't have any older Saigas to work from. My saiga is a EAA corp 2003 model. He found that the front sight blocks varied on all of the ones that he had for sale. He took a survey of the saigas on hand and took the median of those for the tolerance measurements and held a standard of + or - .004". After dealing with my ordeal he said that it may take a short while but he was going to send them back to the machine shop and have them bored a hair larger. Man if more manufactures were like this we would have some very nicely made things, instead of junk that falls off the end after firing. I cant say enough nice things about dpharms and the people who work there. This is the first time I have had any problems with any of the things I have bought from them and they dealt with it in the best of manners.

So may be in a week or so I will have pictures to post with some experience with shooting also.

Am I right in that this slides over the muzzle with the metal cover still intact? Or do u have to take the cover off?

(Don't say u do.)

Yep, I gotta have one, the 74 will make it long enough to sit right in the safe again.

The warsaw stock really shortened it!

Yep you just slide the cover off set the screws tight against the front sight block, and then slide the cover back on. The cover doesn't look out of place either.

I think he was referring to the metal sleeve that already surrounds the end of the barrel.

Got any pics of it on the gun?

Hope he's not sending them all back for 5 thousandths. I ordered one yesterday and it's supposed to ship tomorrow. Some metal sand paper on a dowel rod should make for a custom fit if it happens to be too tight.

Yes, but if not properly milled, will it align? Would hate to graze it with every round.

Hope he's not sending them all back for 5 thousandths. I ordered one yesterday and it's supposed to ship tomorrow. Some metal sand paper on a dowel rod should make for a custom fit if it happens to be too tight.

Yes, but if not properly milled, will it align? Would hate to graze it with every round.

The dowel technique keeps it pretty even, and I bought the phantom version so it shouldn't be as critical of a measure as the 74 type. In that case, you're probably correct.

I think if he takes a little wider survey he will find that they range anywhere from 0.695" to 0.720".

The majority of older ones were around 0.710"+/-0.005".

I quit making them for that exact reason.

I have about 30 FSB's that I have collected over the years and they were all fairly consistant until RAAC started bringing them in.

Be careful with them guys. Loctite them on, check screws often. :up:

I think if he takes a little wider survey he will find that they range anywhere from 0.695" to 0.720".

The majority of older ones were around 0.710"+/-0.005".

I quit making them for that exact reason.

I have about 30 FSB's that I have collected over the years and they were all fairly consistant until RAAC started bringing them in.

Be careful with them guys. Loctite them on, check screws often. :up:

And don't forget to drill divots to be sure.

Ok I got one today and had to give Scott at dpharms a call. My front sight block measured out at .710" and the muzzle attachment at .705". Close right and I also thought well my gun has been Dura coated since new. So I stripped off the dura coat at the front sight block that was an ordeal in its own. Still wont fit, so a call to Scott revealed the these are to be a tight press fit. I told him where I was with it and he told me that he would send me another. Also to go with this is the fact that he didn't have any older Saigas to work from. My saiga is a EAA corp 2003 model. He found that the front sight blocks varied on all of the ones that he had for sale. He took a survey of the saigas on hand and took the median of those for the tolerance measurements and held a standard of + or - .004". After dealing with my ordeal he said that it may take a short while but he was going to send them back to the machine shop and have them bored a hair larger. Man if more manufactures were like this we would have some very nicely made things, instead of junk that falls off the end after firing. I cant say enough nice things about dpharms and the people who work there. This is the first time I have had any problems with any of the things I have bought from them and they dealt with it in the best of manners.

So may be in a week or so I will have pictures to post with some experience with shooting also.

+ 10000 :super:

Am I right in that this slides over the muzzle with the metal cover still intact? Or do u have to take the cover off?

(Don't say u do.)

Yep, I gotta have one, the 74 will make it long enough to sit right in the safe again.

The warsaw stock really shortened it!

Yep you just slide the cover off set the screws tight against the front sight block, and then slide the cover back on. The cover doesn't look out of place either.

I think he was referring to the metal sleeve that already surrounds the end of the barrel.

Got any pics of it on the gun?

My mistake, the metal sleeve was what I was referring to.

OK, maybe I'm retarded, but am I reading all this as: You don't need to do anything to the muzzle of a Saiga for these brakes to fit? They just slide over the tip? I want a brake, but don't wanna get into removing the part covering where the threads would go.

Mine is supposed to arrive at my doorstep tomorrow. After reading the posts, I'm now somewhat wary, but hoping for the best. I'll let you guys know how it works out ASAP. If it takes a turn for the worst, I'm not too worried...this is my third order from Scott and I've had nothing but good things happen so far. I'm sure it will continue.

OK, maybe I'm retarded, but am I reading all this as: You don't need to do anything to the muzzle of a Saiga for these brakes to fit? They just slide over the tip? I want a brake, but don't wanna get into removing the part covering where the threads would go.

Yes that's correct. It slides onto an unmodified muzzle.

Yes that's correct. It slides onto an unmodified muzzle.

Awesome! I may have to look into these, especially for the price, and no need for threading.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Dinzag I hope it was alright I passed on your info to Scott at dpharms. He told me that they were going to open some up a couple of thousands. Also thanks to Dinzags info that they may end up putting out two different sizes so as to be able to keep the fit tight. He also informed me that these will also fit the .223 saigas but that they were having trouble coming up with a .308 version since the muzzle in front of the sight is even shorter than the .223/7.62 versions. But they have something in the works.