Large Caliber Revolver-I Think I Need One!

Hello

As much as I enjoy and respect a semi-automatic large-caliber pistol, I feel I need a large-caliber revolver. Something that can be easily fired from a purse, pocket (ouch!) or holster, if need be. I have a .38 Ti revolver that I got for my wife, but I'm looking for a "manly" gun.

I was eyballing .357/.41/.44 Magnum loads, but then I realized that up until 2-3 years ago, there were .45 ACP revolvers being made and sold by S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus, etc.

It appears they have fallen off the market, pretty much, but I bet I could find one at a fun show. I like the idea of not having to add a new caliber to my supplies/reloading equipment.

Anybody have one, or have experience with one? Or, any reasons why I should reconsider the traditional revolver calibers listed above?

TIA for any advice or experiences.....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product...oducts_id/43753 Personally I would go with the 3" Model 29 S&W Bounty Hunter for $575 delivered in a .44 Magnum. The reason for this is that .45ACP in a revolver requires you to use half moon plates that slow down your reload. To me it doesn't seem worth the trade off. However, You can find Smith & Wesson .45ACP Revolvers at the same place for about $300 more if that is your hearts desire.

The reason for this is that .45ACP in a revolver requires you to use half moon plates that slow down your reload.

They make full animmoonoo4.gif clips, also. They are a damn sight faster on the reload.

Hello

As much as I enjoy and respect a semi-automatic large-caliber pistol, I feel I need a large-caliber revolver. Something that can be easily fired from a purse, pocket (ouch!) or holster, if need be. I have a .38 Ti revolver that I got for my wife, but I'm looking for a "manly" gun.

I was eyballing .357/.41/.44 Magnum loads, but then I realized that up until 2-3 years ago, there were .45 ACP revolvers being made and sold by S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus, etc.

It appears they have fallen off the market, pretty much, but I bet I could find one at a fun show. I like the idea of not having to add a new caliber to my supplies/reloading equipment.

Anybody have one, or have experience with one? Or, any reasons why I should reconsider the traditional revolver calibers listed above?

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

if you want "manly" try a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull.

I have played around with the old S&W .45 ACP revolvers. They shoot ok, I just don't care for the half moon clips. If you load you own ammo .45 rimed cases works alot better.

Edited by Banshee

Hello, Banshee

Hmmm....I don't know if I need to be THAT manly.... :unsure:

I do load my own, though...Which was one reason I was hoping to stay with hardware and components that I already have. I assume some rimmed-type brass would get me in the park?

TIA,

guido2 in Houston

Hello

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

if you want "manly" try a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull.

I have played around with the old S&W .45 ACP revolvers. They shoot ok, I just don't care for the half moon clips. If you load you own ammo .45 rimed cases works alot better.

Hello, Banshee

Hmmm....I don't know if I need to be THAT manly.... :unsure:

I do load my own, though...Which was one reason I was hoping to stay with hardware and components that I already have. I assume some rimmed-type brass would get me in the park?

TIA,

guido2 in Houston

The .45 Auto Rim cartridge was designed to eliminate the need for the clips. The cartridge came along in the 1920s when surplus 1917 Colt and S&W revolvers were plentiful and cheap. Both Remington and Winchester loaded factory ammo, but have long since discontinued it. You can use .45 ACP dies for the AR.Since tha case headspaces on the rim,cartridges can be roll crimped when the bullet has a crimping groove.If the bullet has no groove a light taper crimp will work. You will need a #8 shellholder/max cartridge length is 1.275"

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=205181

I also was going to say I like 44mags, also a buddy's brother has a 460 S&W it has the 10" or so barrel but I was impressed with that gun he load every thing to the max and the recoil was not that bad.

Edited by OrRedbeard

I have an old 1917 Colt New Service that I bought for $175 years ago. I used to shoot it a lot more before I learned to use a taper crimp die for loading good .45 ACP.

I had an opportunity to use a S&W 625 in .45 ACP during a stage where we had to transition to a "guest gun" simulating a back-up revolver and I remember how it was very smooth and worked very well. The .45 ACP had very little recoil in that size frame.

800px-625.jpg

And as far as reloading from full moon clips being slow or cumbersome, this gentleman may disagree:

Jerry Miculek with .45 ACP revolver

I like this better than the Judge. It takes 3inch .410 and 45LC the Judge will not take 3inch

Mine has a smooth cylinder. I don't have a .454 casull but got to shoot one and know want to buy one :devil:

What is that?

I think I need one!

:devil:

-E

Hello, Bob

Now, that's a MANLY gun!!!!!!

I'm thinking anybody with forearms less than Popeye's might be a candidate to bust a tooth out....... :rolleyes:

Good one!

guido2 in Houston

Well, if you must absolutely win the game of one-upsmanship, there's always the 50BMG revolver...

50BMGpistol.jpg

If you reload, the true revolver cartridges tend to offer a far greater range of performance (from cowboy to OMG). The 45 acp is nice, but part of the joy of revolverhood is that you get to load up ammo for every occasion (thanks to those loooong cases). For example, a 44 mag with solid lead 44 cowboy ammo would not completely blenderize a rabbit, and the same round juiced up with quality hollowpoints would easily drop a deer in its tracks.

Another advantage to the revolver cartridges is the array of leverguns that offer even more versatility. There are decent 45 carbines though, so maybe that's a toss up, but I wouldn't want to have to drop a deer with a 45 carbine at any distance.

The one cartridge thing became a bit passe when autos hit the market, but it's still awfully fun. Most turret presses will churn out decent ammo at a good pace.

I like this better than the Judge. It takes 3inch .410 and 45LC the Judge will not take 3inch

Mine has a smooth cylinder. I don't have a .454 casull but got to shoot one and know want to buy one :devil:

Thats the Thunder 5 - 5 shots....they are big five shots though....

i handled one at a gun shot about a year ago. While i like the concept, it felt cheap.....not saying it is, but it felt that way to me....

i do like the judge though.......

"Joy of revolverhood" - I like that!

guido2 in Houston

If you reload, the true revolver cartridges tend to offer a far greater range of performance (from cowboy to OMG). The 45 acp is nice, but part of the joy of revolverhood is that you get to load up ammo for every occasion (thanks to those loooong cases). For example, a 44 mag with solid lead 44 cowboy ammo would not completely blenderize a rabbit, and the same round juiced up with quality hollowpoints would easily drop a deer in its tracks.

Another advantage to the revolver cartridges is the array of leverguns that offer even more versatility. There are decent 45 carbines though, so maybe that's a toss up, but I wouldn't want to have to drop a deer with a 45 carbine at any distance.

The one cartridge thing became a bit passe when autos hit the market, but it's still awfully fun. Most turret presses will churn out decent ammo at a good pace.