My Saiga thinks it's a PSG-1...

Trying out my new digital camera. I've had the Saiga for about 3 months. It was bone stock when I bought it, and I decided to make a few upgrades.

I installed a Red Star Arms trigger. The Panther Arms pistol grip is intended for an AR-15, but with a little "persuasion", I got a nice snug fit on the Saiga. The scope mount is a K-Var with a Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn scope. Harris bipod on the front.

The stock and forend are completely hand made by me.

It took a little more work than I expected. I'll explain more about that if anyone's interested...

I also have to thank many of the members on this forum for some great tips, tricks and ideas. I'm still a "newbie" here, but I've lurked quite a while to get all of the info I needed.

I bought the Saiga with these mods in mind. I had most of the ideas in my head before I even got it. My buddy has one, and I was able to look his over and plan what I would do if I owned it. I eventually couldn't stand being Saiga-less, and took the plunge. I fired about 100 rounds through it to make sure it was sound, and then the disassembly began. It's been a fun project.

The piece that attaches the stock to the reciever is a scrap of thin-wall inch and a quarter square tube. I welded the framework of round tube (made from junk metal folding chairs) into the square. Then it was covered with fiberglass sheets and resin. There's about three coats of Bondo over that to smooth things out. Finshed with truck bed liner and Aluma-hyde. The recoil pad is a cut-down Pachmyr slip-on, Gorilla-glued to a shaped 11 gauge plate, spaced out for my correct length-of-pull. The cheek piece is 16 ga. aluminum plate "expertly" formed in a vise around a pipe. Some of the excess rubber trimmed from the Pachmyr pad is mounted to the top curve. (Bedliner is tough on the cheek.) The two knobs were just junk lying around. About all I paid for was the 'glass, Bondo, and Allen screws to attach it.

The handguard was fairly simple. I took a piece of inch and a half PVC and slit it length-wise. I slipped it over a pipe and slowly heated it with a torch into a "U" shape, then cut and finished it. It's attached on the bottom to a metal strip that screws into the hole on the reciever from the original handguard. For extra support, there's two diagonal "struts" that extend from each side of the rear sight gas block to the front of the forend. Nothing but the gas tube touches the barrel, but it's not too wide and it's strong enough to support the front weight of the rifle on the bipod.

The only real disappointment so far is the weight. It feels a little heftier than I had planned, but I don't plan on packing it any farther than from my truck to the shooting bench anytime soon.

It was a fun project. I just wish I had time to do more stuff like this...

WAY COOL!!!

That is one of the BEST jobs I have seen yet!!

Proof that a little ingenuity can go a DAMN long way!!!

Just tinkering around with "SCRAPS" and you built *THAT*!!!!

Extremely nice construction!!!

How much "persuasion" did it take?

b_37_08.jpg

I had to trim off the contour at the top of the backstrap so it fit level with the bottom of the reciever. I then steel epoxied a 5/16"stud into it. A lock nut on top holds it in place. Also, I had to Dremel out the front so the trigger guard would sit into the grip a little more. This gives me a comfortable "trigger reach" and keeps the grip from turning should the lock nut come loose (but it won't).

It was really pretty easy.

I'm more interested in the scope. Can you tell me more about it? Thanks

It's a Bushnell "Dusk & Dawn". I got it at WallyWorld for about $130. It has a big-ass 50mm objective lens - adjustable for paralax. Works great for low light. Variable zoom from 6-18X.

I only wish it had target knobs. They're pretty handy.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, if you are close to KY, you need to go!  I go twice a year and love it.

www.machinegunshoot.com

Hey KySoldier, Western KY here. I was wondering if that Avatar is the Galili Stock and regular AK PG? Just curious I want to go for a similar look for my 308. Ive never been to the shoot yall are talking about but sounds awesome might have to check it out next time around. :angel:

Edited by nx468
What is the hook(pointing forward) on the bottom of the butt stock?

It's there so I can hang it up anywhere without a gun rack! (This actually works, but not the reason)

Seriously - it's an "offhand grip". I saw this feature on an aftermarket AR-15 stock. When bench shooting, I pull the stock into my shoulder with my left hand on the grip. Works pretty well.