What optics is everyone using?

I've got the Russian Saiga 12 sights (fixed dovetail rear) on my Saiga 12 and the rear sight so low I had to adjust the height on my ACE Stock to compensate. I had a Halo rail system before with an EOTECH and it was just too large, bulky and front heavy for my needs. As long as I have to shoot Open, I might as well use an optic. What is everyone using for an optic on their Saiga 12's? I refuse to use a BP-02 or other side rail mount because of lack of cheekweld., what are my options for gas tube or rear sight dovetail optics mounts? Is the ultimak mount out yet? My Saiga is a 19" sight rail threaded model and I already removed the sight rail.

I'm thinking something along the lines of either a Micro Aimpoint on the gas tube or moutning a small JPoint or other red dot sight in the rear sight dovetail. Show me pictures of your optics setup. Also, has anyone used the small JPoint clones from Sightmark?

Sightmark for $79 (I worry that it is an airsoft red dot)

SM13001-Sightmark-Mini-Shot-Reflex-Sight.jpg

Jpoint for $269

firepoint_b.jpg

Trijicon Doctor Red Dot for $300+

MS03.jpg

Hello, hartzpad

I have two S12's one with an EoTech on a Halo, the other with an EoTech on a Ultimak rail.

I second your opinion of the Halo forend, bit too much bulk there.

Personally, I would opt for a Cobra (1st choice) rail or an Ultimak rail with an EoTech. I think the large sight picture and ultra-fast acquisition with the EoTech "halo around a dot" aperture is optimum for a S12. Mounting one on a sight-mounted top rail is light and nimble, certainly compared to a Halo forend.

I tried a Docter on one of mine. Sweet little item, but I thought the EoTech was better geared to the shottie, I moved the Docter to my AK pistol and I think it's a better fit.

I also rigged up BUIS to co-witness, another reason to go with the EoTech for me. (really a bitch with the Docter!)

Pic's are in the "Let's see your S12" thread.

JMHO, YMMV.....

guido2 in Houston

I am about to try out a Leupold Prismatic 1X that I picked up cheap. They have a circle with a dot and crosshairs. I could do with out the cross hairs. My thoughts are sight the dot for slugs and use the circle for Bird shot...

WE will see how it goes.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

member3941.png

I'm running a Truglo 40mm red dot mounted on the gas tube using a steel low profile rail that I made and welded onto the gas tube.

Works fine for me, I have it sighted with slugs at 100 yds., and at 15 yds. the shot pattern is almost dead on.

PersonalSaiga003.jpg

Had the ATN digital, but it crapped out after the first 100 or so... Now have a C-more mounted on an E-tac welded front site rail. 1000's of rounds later still going strong. Good field of view, and proven shock reliability with the C-more. CDNN had them for sale at a pretty decent price...around $200... I think

I don't have an optic mounted yet, still waiting to get my gun back from the shop-- it doesn't just feel like it, it's been forever-- :cryss: (no worries, they're good guys who have kept in touch during a major flood and a few other disasters-- and it's coming soon! :beer:) --but it's always seemed to me that it ought to have a Russian-made dot sight of some sort. I have a side rail mount, and still waffling over exactly which one, though-- though the BK-02 looks pretty good. I just want to avoid one that has a rangefinder set up for an AK74. Didn't we do a thread about this a while back??

By the way, I love all the new smileys they snuck in while my computer was disconnected! :chef: