I've been thinking of making an AK pistol using an amd kit. 2 questions, 1--does anybody know the barrel/trunnion size on an amd, 23mm?? 2---Does anybody make ak pistol barrels? I've looked all ove but all i find are expensive ass krink barrel assemblies.

Most folks who do this, own lathes and turn their original barrels down.

There are a few folks around ( on other Kalashnikov forums ) who offer this service.

Edited by nalioth

look over at akfiles.com/forums

look in their equipment exchange section. there are at least two people i can think of that can do the conversion for you. all the way down to the gas block being an actual part of the rear sight block.

• 1 month later...

This is my most recent pistol build. The pic was before I refinished it and after the test-fire. The barrel is 5 3/4" and it functions 100%. Impractical? Perhaps. Loud as all hell and a blast to shoot? Absolutely! :devil:

post-1981-1220748120_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Or if anybody knows where i can get an uncut amd barrel I'd like to get one, damn torch cut barrels--that makes me wanna cry

Don't Cry.......Make a pistol from the stub, here is my amd cut barrel kit build....3.25 inchs of happiness

100_1475.jpg

fly by wire bolt carrier

100_1484.jpg

100_1485.jpg

• 1 month later...
I've been thinking of making an AK pistol using an amd kit. 2 questions, 1--does anybody know the barrel/trunnion size on an amd, 23mm?? 2---Does anybody make ak pistol barrels? I've looked all ove but all i find are expensive ass krink barrel assemblies.

I just got my stripped kit. Not even a barrel stub but the barrel is a 23 mm or that is what my trunion measures. I'm just going to cut down a romainan barrel on the lathe.

I just got my stripped kit. Not even a barrel stub but the barrel is a 23 mm or that is what my trunion measures. I'm just going to cut down a romainan barrel on the lathe.

If you want a used barrel I just got a YUGO barrel from Centerfire Systems. With shipping about $25 bucks. It didn't look like much when I got it but after cleaning about 3lbs of grease (the nice sticky stuff) and degreased and brushed for about an hour the bore looked pretty good. The rear trunion will fit but the rest of the points have to be turned to fit the AMD measurements. Small work for someone with a lathe. If you want to cut the barrel it needs to go into a lathe anyway.

Both of the Yugos I have built had crappy bores, but they are excellent shooters. The fixed stock rifle is more accurate than all of them and the folder's a close second. I may have to pick up a few of those for future projects.