Rube Goldberg would be proud!

Nice work! Us Marvel guys got to stick together!

200px-Beta_Ray_Thor_001.gif

( I did always like Beta Ray Bill)

Heck yes! Stop on by, I'll invite Wonder Woman and Batgirl. She's at least 18 by now.

P.S. Don't invite Beta Billy Ray this time, he's a friggin drunk.

--------------

Yep, wood from a .308

Big thanks goes out to Cobra for showing that it can be done.

Gimmie a sec and I'll post some pics.

post-7224-1220407890_thumb.jpg

post-7224-1220407859_thumb.jpg

post-7224-1220407923_thumb.jpg

post-7224-1220408470_thumb.jpg

post-7224-1220408092_thumb.jpg

post-7224-1220408135_thumb.jpg

post-7224-1220408307_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thor's Hammer

No, it's rattle free. fits snug actually. I got lucky. I didnt want to modify the exterior at all so it would look factory. all the relief was done internally. Therefore to install it you have to slide it down the barrel and give it a couple reasonable smacks to get the rear tongue to insert. I made sure the tongue was tapered a bit oversize. Also the front gas block just happens to be the correct size for the upper opening so it sits tight against the block as you can see in the pics.

The only dubious part is the forward sling mount that I installed just to fill the hole. That's where it goes on the 308, using a special internal mounting plate. The plate had to be cut down to fit and now does not attach to the metal. The sling mount has an internal nut that holds it in place in the wood, but I wouldn't trust it not to break the wood under rugged use as it focuses the stress on such a small area. It needs to have an attachment to the barrel, or be relocated to the mounting screw that sits an inch or two aft. Thats the S12 sling mounting point. I may just install that and have 2 sling mounts or come up with something to camouflage the hole, or jury rig some kind of barrel strap.

Maybe cut a short ring out of stainless 1.125" tubing, drill a hole through the side, slide it over the barrel, slip a nut behind the hole and thread the sling mount screw through the hole in the ring and into the nut...

Edited by Thor's Hammer

Sure is. It is one that has a removable 1/4" pilot bit that I was able to replace with an extra long 1/4" bit. I had to modify the shank in a drill press to take it down to 1/4" diameter so I could use the drill extension. It cuts through easy and fast and the wood doesn't deflect it much that I noticed. Too fast not to have a jig to maintain control. The long drill bit has a slight amount of flex if you want to purposely deflect it, that you can use to your benefit when opening up the handguard. I used a drill stop to limit the cutting depth. Ream a little, test fit, repeat.

If anyone has one that they are looking to modify I can draw something on paper that should roughly explain the jig and the cuts I made inside. The buttstock is simple enough. Trim it down to clear the trigger and trunion, roughly matching the plastic one, taking off as little material as necessary to keep it strong and tight. Mine has a slight 1/16" gap with the receiver when the mounting screw holes lined up. I didn't want to pound it in flush and have the holes misaligned, so I simply used a little black RTV to fill in the transition and it looks fine.

post-7224-1220573698.jpg

post-7224-1220573724.jpg

Edited by Thor's Hammer
Nice work! Us Marvel guys got to stick together!....

Yawn... Yeah, well here is the series that DC Comics did that loosely chronicles my life. I had to get them to change the name a little protect my secret identify. Also it got to be a drag posing for all the damn cover art! :lol:

BTW... Nice work, that stock cutting jig is really creative!

3-1.jpg