Pro-Mag Saiga 12 Mags

I have 2 pro-mag 7.62x39 30 round mags for my AK, and I haven't had any issues with them in terms of function, but the way the mags rattle when loaded is really, really annoying, and the fit and finish quality is not as good as the Bulgarian waffle mags, or my rusty old metal Yugo mags, for that matter. If they were substantially cheaper than an AGP, I may consider them, but I'd have to recognize them for what they are: Cheap.

I have magazines made by Pro Mag and I am happy with them. THey load and insert like the factory mags and function flawlessly. They make the best aftermarket 30 round magazines for the Mini-14 and the ones made for the AK work well. I'll get some of these for my S-12.

I am also happy with the AGP mags, they're also well made magazines.

Both magazine makers have good products and I'm sure the ten round Pro Mag will be a good product.

I have a bunch of promags for my ak 84s 5.56 that work better (flawlessly) than my bulgarian mags that I paid 3x more for.

They also work in my WASR and BWK92 when my bulgys do not fit. Nothing beats steal however.

So I like the company with a lifetime guarrentee.

A bit dissapointed in the price on the saiga12's though - thought it would be more reasonable than AGP's

Let's be fair

Why must we be "fair" when it comes to a business that doesn't seem to care about quality control? Pro mag has earned the reputation of producing crap for a multitude of firearms. It's not like Pro mag got a bad rap because of something beyond their control.

If Tony produced crap saigas...do you think he would have a loyal following? I'd say no...Tony has earned his reputation one customer at a time. Which is exactly what Pro Mag has done, but in the opposite fashion.

I for one wouldn't spend $40+ on any Pro Mag product when I can buy the AGP mags that I know will work. Or AGP will work with me to resolve the issue. It's just not a risk I am willing to take to save myself $10. The frustration alone would be worth more than $10, not to mention my time.

ETA: As others have already commented...a "lifetime warranty" is only as good as the company that is backing up that warranty. Just remember that a lifetime warranty on a crap product means that it's warrantied to be crap for life.

Edited by aubie515

I've paid more than $45 for meals that sucked, I'll give it a shot, even a shithead can poop a diamond once in a while.

FWIW, I got and email from them stating that they are out of the S-12 mags, and making more in October.

my eyes are still bleeding from the video of bear force one posted above.....holy hell.

Promag is welcome to send me a handful of them to abuse the hell out of, and destroy. Ill let you all know if they work or not LOL.

I'm glad that people/companies are willing to come out with more products for the Saiga market, as Bvamp and Mike D can probably attest, the "gun community" can be it's own worst enemy sometimes, and a bear to work with. To be honest, I think Promag did it the right way, just show-up on the market with a product, that way they don't have to listen to people bad mouth and spout crap about them throughout the whole design and production process like what happened to Mike D, and from what I've heard, APG previously. My hat is off to Mike for making it to production with the drum after all the crap he had to take over it, now if he just sends me mine I'll be happy :haha:

When I get my promag 10 rounder I'll post whether it works or not ASAP.

Saiga's ROCK!

Edited by ML Roak

I have four magazines made by Promag; two P38 magazines, and two .50AE Desert Eagle magazines. The P38 mags suck balls, and the Desert Eagle mags work flawlessly. It is unfair to attribute a wholly negative reputation to Promag; their products are hit-and-miss. Their quality (and, often, lack of it) is completely inconsistent. I'll be with the rest of the throng, waiting on the fence for reviews.

I had 2 - 15 rd single stack Pro mags for my Hi Point 9mm carbine. Carbine shot flawlessly with factory mags. Neither promag would work worth a damm. Called in, they were very nice and even sent me a pre payed package to send them to them for replacement. The brand new replacement mags didn't function either. Again, carbine shot great with factory mags.

I traded the other mags off and personally am done with Promag.

We probably have had 500+ requests for metal S12 mags or drums this year. If someone ever decided to make them, I am sure they would sell.

Still want some good solid durable metal ones..... plastic just doesn't inspire confidence.

This reminds me...

I bought two of their 10/22 drums that worked like wraithfakers. I called to have them sent back and they sent me the prepaid mail thingy and I sent them back. That's been a few months or so ago now. I need to call and see wtf is up. Thanks for the reminder. :devil:

There is cheap plastic, then there is good plastic. If something is made of good plastic, or whatever you want to call it, it can be sturdy and durable. Look at the MD20 drum.

I knew an engineer and owner of a avalanche shovel company who one year moved from very nice plastic shovels to these bulky steel garbage ones. When I asked him why in the hell did he do that, his reasoning behind the move was, "People think steel is a better material and they sell better."

I thought the AGP mags were like Nylon 6/6 with some glass reinforcement. What % I don't know, but the plastic has a lot of pluses such as self lubrication, mold and mildew resistant, doesn't rust, good impact resistance. Temperature range is fine, unless you plan on going somewhere to die with it. Small pores which means it can't take a dye and will be that ugly black forever, but better for protection against the sun.

Metal would be fun to have, but I'm not unhappy with plastics by any means.

What are the MD 20 drums made of anyhow?

Edited by Ballistician
  • 2 weeks later...
MAA is taking preorders right now and the mags ship in the beginning of December.

link: surefiremags

I have preordered two of them so that I can cut one down to an 8rd and keep the other in original form.

Keep in mind that some of this stuff may not be available in a couple of months. :bann:

I would like to see some reviews of the Surefire 12 rounder before buying one. They have a good reputation but I wonder if it will make the S-12 a monopod with the tall magazine. I intend to buy the ten round Pro Mag magazine, I've had good results with Pro Mag magazines even though the 10/22 25 rounder works better with 23 rounds.