ITS DONE,finaly! my 308

Finaly got everything together,Firefly did the conversion"Freebie" great guy.I added the Fal flashider,ACE Fal grip,handgaurd from a Saiga 7.62x39 and with a little help/ideal from a fellow member Possenti,i made the extended buttstock.Scope is a Simmons 44mag 6x20x44 Mildot.Also below is my 7.62x39 with the wood furniture from the 308 and real 30rd Saiga 7.62 mags :lolol: Now bring on the 20rd 308 mags!!!

100_0242.jpg

100_0243.jpg

100_0252.jpg

Edited by Pointer

Looking good. My .308 came today,22"wood. Wood is always good! Put in the black BlackJack buffer and cleaned it up. DONE! Needs a 'scope when I find a decent deal, other than that it's perfect as it is! I did notice that it has the one piece firing pin. (04 reciever date) My 01 S-12 has the 2 piece, and the wifes 95 S-.410 does too. Are all .308's 1 piece?

G O B

Edited by G O B

Great job. Glad I could help. Us Saiga owners need to stick together, don't we?

I forgot to ask you about the rear adjustment knob. How did you install it?

When I built my stock, I just welded a nut inside before I applied the 'glass.

It works great for steady shots, as long as you're on a flat surface, and the cross hairs are in the "ballpark" on your target.

The knob came from some old "you build yourself type cabinetry of some type" that i had laying around for years.It had a threaded sleeve that the knob screwed into.Being that i fitted the inside of the stock with wood held with epoxy,i just drilled a hole in the stock/wood and epoxyed the sleeve in the hole.Now i just need a cheek piece about 3/4"-1" high.Dont need anything drastic,just maybe a rubber or plastic piece.I seen some for sale on the net somewhere but of course cant find it now when i want it.

Firefly Arms did the conversion for free,in exchange that he could take pics for buisness advertising and such.He had done many Saigas but not any 308's,i was his 308 guinee pig :lolol: ,he did a great job.The flashhider is a Fal STG drilled out to 5/8".The front site base was removed,about a inch and a half of the barrel is thinner under the site base so 5/8" fit snug,then the flashider fitted and pinned to the barrel.Be sure your flashider/muzzel break has at least that amount of clean area "No holes/ect" so it can sit back to cover the thin part of the barrel. I cut the Site base so that it fit partly around the barrel behind the flashider and silver soldered it on.

OH,and to those requesting where i got the buttstock before mods, it was Interordnance of America,i just found my reciet.

Edited by Pointer
After i did that, would i just slide the sight back 1/2 an inch or so?

"Talking about the 308"You cant just slide the site back because the barrel is turned down smaller under the site base and also has grooves cut for the pins.The site base will be to small to fit over the larger dia barrel behind where the base use to be.You could thread barrel with 7.62x39 tap and die,it will have to be threaded the whole lenght of where the site base was, appr 1 1/2" back from the end of the barrel,use blue lock tight if you choose in case you someday want to take it off.If you want a front site you will have to do what i did or look into a ACE LTD gas block site that attaches to gas block,there might be mods needed for this as i havent realy seen a Saiga with one actualy on a gun.

Edited by Pointer
handgaurd from a Saiga 7.62x39

You know, I put a handgaurd from a 7.62x39 on mine, too. It did require a little fitting, but they look better. Like they're made out of a different material or something. I wonder why they do that?

I noticed that too. It looks like they sand the 7.62x39 handguards smooth and paint them. The handguard on my .308 is rougher and gray in color. I'm going to sand it and paint it black sometime.

handgaurd from a Saiga 7.62x39

You know, I put a handgaurd from a 7.62x39 on mine, too. It did require a little fitting, but they look better. Like they're made out of a different material or something. I wonder why they do that?

I noticed that too. It looks like they sand the 7.62x39 handguards smooth and paint them. The handguard on my .308 is rougher and gray in color. I'm going to sand it and paint it black sometime.

I tried painting mine, and I couldn't find anything that would stick. i used Krylon fusion in matte black, and you can still take it off with a fingernail

I tried painting mine, and I couldn't find anything that would stick. i used Krylon fusion in matte black, and you can still take it off with a fingernail

Those are a lot of quotes LOL. Did you sand the plastic and make sure it was free from grease, oils? I'm gonna try painting mine with SEM Trim Black (the same stuff I used to paint my receiver) or a more matte trim paint. The stuff is made to paint plastic auto trim parts.