Saiga 12 failing to cycle & and eject shells

Mine is a 08/28/08 gun 8428*** It "appears" that I have 4 holes in a diamond pattern, however they look like they are only Pre-drilled. As in they dont go through. I tried using a paperclip to see if they were open and they dont appear to be, though the paperclip may be too big.

Dunno, going to take some ammo out and shoot it in stock config this weekend and see what happens.

I have gunfixers plug and will put that in to see if there is any difference. hopefully those holes go through.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your gun is cycling anything in 2 3/4 it probably has more than just the two ports shown. Sometimes the only way to find them is to ,feel for them with a small hook, towards the forward edge of the

Well I finally got to try my saiga today. As I mentioned, it has the 2 hole setup...visible and unobstructed. I bought the plain green 00buck and rifled slugs from Remington. I started on setting 1

I made it out today to test my modifications(adding two holes to make a square pattern). As luck would have it, I was out shooting with a friend that also just bought a 2 hole S12.   Mine cycled hi

Posted Images

Mine is a 08/28/08 gun 8428*** It "appears" that I have 4 holes in a diamond pattern, however they look like they are only Pre-drilled. As in they dont go through. I tried using a paperclip to see if they were open and they dont appear to be, though the paperclip may be too big.

Dunno, going to take some ammo out and shoot it in stock config this weekend and see what happens.

I have gunfixers plug and will put that in to see if there is any difference. hopefully those holes go through.

It's very easy to check whether the gas ports in your gun are viable. Insert a pick/standard paperclip into the visible ports you've exposed by removing the gas plug, while looking down the barrel from the business end. If you can't see the tool protruding into the barrel and/or encounter obvious resistence to your probings, you've got blocked ports, i.e. non-functional. If that is the case, contact RAAC and they'll make it right.

It's very easy to check whether the gas ports in your gun are viable. Insert a pick/standard paperclip into the visible ports you've exposed by removing the gas plug, while looking down the barrel from the business end. If you can't see the tool protruding into the barrel and/or encounter obvious resistence to your probings, you've got blocked ports, i.e. non-functional. If that is the case, contact RAAC and they'll make it right.

all I had was a large paperclip and it definitely wouldnt go through any of the holes. Going to get something smaller and see if they are indeed holes or just

dents.

Good luck. I'm having the same problem but for a different issue right now. It completely sucks to have a cool semi-auto shotgun that only functions as a bolt-loader. Plus, you know it's not that complicated a design with so few moving parts. Like a nail in your brain... someone has pics of in their sig line of how I feel after 2 fix attempts now.

i know im going to sound retarded, but does someone have a chart or a word of advice on which shells uses which setting, IE walmart stuff uses this setting, low recoil uses this setting, etc etc, IE idiots guide to tuning. even my first siaga confused me and would only go in single shot mode

all I had was a large paperclip and it definitely wouldnt go through any of the holes. Going to get something smaller and see if they are indeed holes or just

dents.

UPDATE:

Well before I went shooting I got a dental pick and checked the holes. 2 of the 4 holes WERE open but the paperclip I had was too big. the other two were partially blocked but after 10 min or so of picking at them I got the dental pick through.

I put in my chaos gas puck and gunfixers gas plug.

PUt it on #3 and started with Federal Premium LE 00 Buckshot (2 3/4 9 shot pellets) and 2 3/4 slugs in the stock 5 rnd mag

had 10 of 10 FTEs on the first 10 rounds.

Then ran another 10 through it and had prob 7 FTEs

I continued till I had 0 FTEs on Setting #3 and then turned down to #2 and fired till I had 0 FTEs, then to setting #1 to zero FTEs.

(took about 80-90 rounds)

Then switched to the AGP 10 rnd mag. Used Remington reduced recoil 2 3/4 8 pellet 00 buckshot.

Started on #3 then #2 then #1 till I had 0 FTEs

This took another 30-40 rounds

Then I put in Winchester Super Target XX 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz 8 shot target loads. These were a cheap case I picked up at a gunshop, all low steel

started on #3 and ran 20 rnds with maybe 3 FTEs. next 10 had no FTEs

#2 till it ran with no FTEs (maybe another 20 rnds) then

#1 it had 2 FTE out of 25 rounds. Ran another box of 25 more through it on setting #1 all about as fast as I could pull the trigger and had ZERO FTE

then I ran 5 of each of the 4 types of ammo through the gun rapid fire on Setting #1 and had Zero FTEs. It ran flawlessly.

Im thinkin its broken in and ready to convert. Least I hope so, was an expensive day. :)

^ :lol: An expensive day? No kidding. It sounds as though you've got the gun broken in, but you really should have started with the lowest gas setting that would cycle the ammo you were shooting. You start on setting 3 using 9 pellet 00 buck? No, you start on -1 for shells like that. If that doesn't handle it, you go to +1, and then up to 2 or 3, (neither of which should ever be necessary).

I think you spent a lot more on ammo than was necessary to break the gun in. Oh well, it's done and your gun should have no more problems cycling low-brass.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
^ :lol: An expensive day? No kidding. It sounds as though you've got the gun broken in, but you really should have started with the lowest gas setting that would cycle the ammo you were shooting. You start on setting 3 using 9 pellet 00 buck? No, you start on -1 for shells like that. If that doesn't handle it, you go to +1, and then up to 2 or 3, (neither of which should ever be necessary).

I think you spent a lot more on ammo than was necessary to break the gun in. Oh well, it's done and your gun should have no more problems cycling low-brass.

Well thats the thing, It wouldnt cycle on #3 with the high brass so I kept shooting till it did and then stepped down. On #3 with the first 5 or 10 rounds the bolt never moved.

I guess I figured if it was going to FTE on the highest gas setting then there was no point putting it any lower since it would just FTE more on the lower settings. Thought it would be break in better or faster if the bolt at least moved and tried to eject rather than just fire and sit there.

Looking back I should have hand cycled the thing a bunch of times to maybe wear it in a bit. Or did the metal polish thing like a few on here had done.

Maybe mine was xtra tight, dunno but its running well now.