My mom got a picture from her friend who breeds mastiffs. I guess I never realized how effing big these dogs are!! :eek:

Anyone have one of these monsters? Good family dogs? I like big dogs that I can mess around with, and not worry about snapping its neck.

(Pic below is my mom's friend's husband, and a couple of her dogs)

I have a Mastiff / Sheppard mix. Definately looks more Mastiff than Sheppard - 110lbs of love and adventure and still growing. Vet says he'll top out at around 150-160ish. Next door neighbor has a pure-bred female whos about 220lbs. Great family/kids dog if you get 'em as a puppy. Good with other dogs and VERY protective and playful. Just plan on getting a Sam's Club card for food and a snow shovel for... the other end... :rolleyes:

Also - They chew on EVERYTHING the first year or so... Mine has distroyed my deck and eaten (not just chewed on) whole 2x4's, footballs, softballs, baseballs, bricks and a spare tire I had for my trailer (he at least left me the rim on that one)...

I have a Mastiff / Sheppard mix. Definately looks more Mastiff than Sheppard - 110lbs of love and adventure and still growing. Vet says he'll top out at around 150-160ish. Next door neighbor has a pure-bred female whos about 220lbs. Great family/kids dog if you get 'em as a puppy. Good with other dogs and VERY protective and playful. Just plan on getting a Sam's Club card for food and a snow shovel for... the other end... :rolleyes:

Also - They chew on EVERYTHING the first year or so... Mine has distroyed my deck and eaten (not just chewed on) whole 2x4's, footballs, softballs, baseballs, bricks and a spare tire I had for my trailer (he at least left me the rim on that one)...

220 lbs?!?

Good to hear that they're well tempered dogs. I've never met the lady (my mom's friend), but I'd like to go check out some of her dogs. Not that I have the room/time/money for a dog right now (let alone one that weighs more than I do), but I've never met a dog I didn't get along with.

I have a Bulmastiff. Great family dog and great disposition. The Bulmastiff is one of the smallest versions of Mastiff weighing in at only 130 to 150 pounds. They don't require a lot of exercise and are not hyper so they even make good companions for apartment dwellers.

The Brazillian Mastiff weighs in at around 220 pounds and can be extremely aggressive. They are also very athletic and energetic dogs. If you google them under Fila Mastiff you will find stories of them attacking bears at 7 months old and winning. They are truly amazing but due to their aggressive behavior and the need for running room, they make a better country or mountain dog.

The English Mastiff like the show dog that was pictured get very large also. Depending on the bloodlines they too can be aggressive toward non-family members and other animals. Once you have made buddies with them they are great dogs. They are all droolers and some have oily coats requireing more frequent bathing because the oily coats can smell. I just go to Wal-mart and get the spray on waterless dog bath. You just spray it on and vigorously wipe it off and no more smell or oily coat. This allows me to bath him every two to three weeks and he loves it. He comes running and with put you on your backside when he sees the spray bottle.

If you are thinking about getting one, research which version would fit best in your living arangment.

I drove all the way to Cowpens SC to pick my little buddy from a breeder up there. The ones in my area all seemd to have been poorly bred. They are ugly and do not look like the ones pictured on the internet when I was researching them. They were also getting about $1200.00 for them. I was able to go online and look at individual photos of the puppys that were availible and pick the one I wanted. I bought "Milo" for $900.00 and he has a great personality and show quality apperance. I have had several female Bulmastiff owners request stud services from "Milo".

No mastiff but I have a 4 year old 160# St. Bernard. Giant breed dogs aren't that tough. It's not just drool they fling around...... it's drool, food particles and hair and it sticks to anything. We have to use the magic eraser thing to get it off the walls. She has the best disposition of any dog I've owned.

She is not lazy..... she runs and runs around the yard and plays like there's no tomorrow. She weighed 17lbs at 8 weeks when I brought her home. Extremely easy to train and teach tricks.

Inga

post-10707-1230059019_thumb.jpg

post-10707-1230059397_thumb.jpg

post-10707-1230059384_thumb.jpg

St. Bernards are another fantastic breed! Gentle giants, for sure. :up:

Here's a pic of my two knuckleheads... Not Mastiffs, but Rottweilers:

TaraJimmySeptember07.jpg

Tara, my female in the background, is a therapy dog. We visit nursing homes and will be going to pediatric wards in the near future. She has her CGC title and her TDI certificate. Jimmy, my male, was rescued from a shelter in North Carolina. He was abused; someone beat him and burned him with cigarettes. If I ever happen to somehow come in contact with the bastard that did that to him.... :anger::evil:

Edited by TR Young

A co-worker of mine has a mastiff named Dozer. Very well mannered dog. Quirky though. He will not ride in the back of the truck, only in the cab. He is deathly afraid of children, except for the children in his family. He's a very good protector of his family when directly confronted but is a poor watchdog. My co worker got his truck broken into twice while Dozer was right there in the front yard/driveway.

He is a cool dog to have around. He always comes to work and just layes down and watches whats going on.

TaraJimmySeptember07.jpg

Tara, my female in the background, is a therapy dog. We visit nursing homes and will be going to pediatric wards in the near future. She has her CGC title and her TDI certificate. Jimmy, my male, was rescued from a shelter in North Carolina. He was abused; someone beat him and burned him with cigarettes. If I ever happen to somehow come in contact with the bastard that did that to him.... :anger::evil:

Rottweilers are awesome dogs. There's a house by a restaurant we go to and they guy has 4 100pound + rottweilers The yard is fenced and it looks like they are guarding his Duckworth fishing boat lol......

Rottweilers are awesome dogs. There's a house by a restaurant we go to and they guy has 4 100pound + rottweilers The yard is fenced and it looks like they are guarding his Duckworth fishing boat lol......

Jimmy would guard my home with his life........ that is until the offending party produced a Dustbuster. Jimmy would then disappear with a little dust tornado in his place. :lolol:

Tara would just take you to every room and ask if you need help carrying anything out. As long as you threw her tennis ball for her a couple times. :rolleyes:

Yeah the St. Bernard is not a guard dog by any means but when any stranger comes to the door she will posture up which is scary to most as is and then if she barks..... someone is gonna shit their pants.

But in the long run she would tell the buglers where all the good stuff is hidden.

If you are thinking about getting one, research which version would fit best in your living arangment.

Absolutely. I research everything I spend more than $20 on :D . Unfortunately, getting a dog is on the backburner right now.

No mastiff but I have a 4 year old 160# St. Bernard. Giant breed dogs aren't that tough. It's not just drool they fling around...... it's drool, food particles and hair and it sticks to anything. We have to use the magic eraser thing to get it off the walls. She has the best disposition of any dog I've owned.

She is not lazy..... she runs and runs around the yard and plays like there's no tomorrow. She weighed 17lbs at 8 weeks when I brought her home. Extremely easy to train and teach tricks.

Inga

post-10707-1230059019_thumb.jpg

post-10707-1230059397_thumb.jpg

post-10707-1230059384_thumb.jpg

I hear ya on the drool. Not that labs are huge dogs, but when I go to a friends house, I always get covered in their labs' drool from playing with them. One of them, as soon as they see me, goes and grabs his "tug-o-war" ring, and after a few minutes of wrestling with that, he's drooling like slob.

TaraJimmySeptember07.jpg

Beautiful pups ya got there!

Jimmy would guard my home with his life........ that is until the offending party produced a Dustbuster. Jimmy would then disappear with a little dust tornado in his place. :lolol:

Tara would just take you to every room and ask if you need help carrying anything out. As long as you threw her tennis ball for her a couple times. :rolleyes:

I find it hilarious when big dogs are terrified of things. My friend's Pit/Boxer mix freaks out and takes off when you turn on the vent above the stove :lol: . He looks like a badass, but he's a softy :D .

Yea, on an episode of Mythbusters they tested the myth that elephants are afraid of mice, so the hid the mouse in a cavity in some elephant dung and put it in the path of the elephants so not to interfere and attached a string to it and when the elephants would go by would yank the string causing it to roll over, letting the mouse out.

The first test, the elephant stopped, stepped back, and went all the way around

The second test, to make sure it wasn't just the dung moving that startled them, they did it with no mouse, the elephants didn't notice and almost even stepped in the dung.

The last test they did it with the mouse again and the elephants reacted even worse!

They came to the conclusion that elephants are afraid of mice, so, no matter the size of the animal, that doesn't reflect what they're afraid of!

I just looked up Cane Corso's and....... :eek: . I won't lie, them is some intimidating looking pups. I've never heard of them before.

Another breed that I recently heard about, and seems interesting is the Dogo Argentino. They are almost always pure white, which is kind of different. They almost look like oversized Pits.

Dogo Argentino:

dogo-argentino.jpg

Nice dogs everybody. I've had Rotts, Labs, Shepherds, and Hounds. This is Jake the Pittbull mix.

Jake.jpg

Nice coloring!

Cane Corsos are another breed that gets bad press due to ignorant owners. When trained and properly socialized, they are outstanding. The training facility I took Tara to for her TDI training had a Cane Corso and she was the door greeter! She would run over to greet everyone who walked in and she would beg and beg to be petted before you walked past her. She was a trip!

Cane Corsos are another breed that gets bad press due to ignorant owners. When trained and properly socialized, they are outstanding. The training facility I took Tara to for her TDI training had a Cane Corso and she was the door greeter! She would run over to greet everyone who walked in and she would beg and beg to be petted before you walked past her. She was a trip!

Yeah, I don't buy into the "the whole breed is bad" type of stuff. Personally, I've yet to meet a Pit, Rottie or any other breed dog that is labeled a vicious man-eater, that wasn't a big softie.

A friend in highschool had a Pit/Boxer mix, and it was the biggest baby ever. His only downfall is that he didn't know he weighed 80LBS and would try to lay on you any chance he got. That same friend, when I got in touch with him a few years after graduating highschool, had a purebred female Pit who would try to lick your skin off.

My uncle has a Rottweiler that he adopted, and I think it was abused beforehand. She loves women, but is very skiddish around guys. Not aggressive by any means, just very timid.

My parents Chihuahuas on the other hand.................now those are some vicious animals :lol: . Everyone thinks it's "cute", but I always tell my mom; "If these dogs weren't 5lbs and 6" tall, they would be tyrants!!".

Mastiff breeds, and for that matter what are classified as working breeds, are great animals. Unfortunately they have much shorter life spans while Chihuaha's get to annoy people for close to 20 years. There is no justice in that :(

I have a Rottie, 100lbs of pure energy (no joke). Just because the dogs are of a larger breed, does not always mean they are couch potatoes or do not have a lot of energy. Just like people, each dog is different.

If you actually talk to vets, most will give you an honest response in that they are more apt to be bitten by a Chi, Cocker, Poodle, or other "Napolean disease" small dog than they are of the larger breeds. It is also very much up to the owner to train the dog (which so few people do these days). Understanding the psychology of canines is also very interesting as well.

I have trained my current Rottie in "Protection Sports" and will do so with future dogs that I get. This does NOT mean that he is a loose canon, just like your firearms are not. In many ways this has actually made him a better dog than if I had not trained him this way. It helps work out his energy, keeps him in great physical condition, works the mind, and gives him an outlet (just like going to the range for us 2 legged types).

Anyway, I advise really researching a breeder when dealing with a pure bred (especially large breed). Find out the history and lineage of both parents and go back 3-5 generations (including litter mates). Look for heart conditions, cancer, hip AND elbow displasia, and find out if there are other breed specific ailments.

Reputable rescues are also a very good source for pure bred dogs wespecially if you are not interested in breeding or showing or doing any of the other stuff and just want a good pet.

BTW good looking Rotties, they look like they are in good health and trim weight. Very nice to see that.

I've been told the life expectancy of Inga is 9-10 years. She's 4.5 right now. Not something I wanna think about really but there it is.

The vet told me to keep her on the healthy side of skinny and her joints will be much better off as she ages. I also give her glucosamine tabs and she gets the same fish oil I eat every day. Just doing everything I can. She's the greatest dog I've ever had.

...I have trained my current Rottie in "Protection Sports" and will do so with future dogs that I get. This does NOT mean that he is a loose canon, just like your firearms are not. In many ways this has actually made him a better dog than if I had not trained him this way. It helps work out his energy, keeps him in great physical condition, works the mind, and gives him an outlet (just like going to the range for us 2 legged types).

Absolutely! When I discuss Schutzhund, which I think you may be referring to, to other people, I liken it to 'martial arts for dogs'. It teaches them their physical limits and they have fun learning. You are so correct in saying that it DOES NOT turn the dog into a 'loose cannon'; just the opposite. You teach your dog just what kind of strength it actually has, when to 'turn it on', and when to 'turn it off'. Schutzhund is amazing.

...Anyway, I advise really researching a breeder when dealing with a pure bred (especially large breed). Find out the history and lineage of both parents and go back 3-5 generations (including litter mates). Look for heart conditions, cancer, hip AND elbow displasia, and find out if there are other breed specific ailments.

Great stuff, once again. I advise everyone who is interested in the larger breed dogs (well, any breed for that matter...) to seek out a reputable COE (Code of Ethics) breeder and to steer clear of BYBs (Back Yard Breeders) and puppy mills. These places sell junk dogs to unsuspecting buyers. Their hips, elbows, joints, hearts, and eyes are NEVER certified from a BYB or PM and more than likely any pups from these breedings will produce heartache for the owner and chronic pain for the pups.

BTW good looking Rotties, they look like they are in good health and trim weight. Very nice to see that.

Thanks! I take my dogs' health very seriously. Overweight dogs only leads to dogs with hip and back problems and a quality of life that is very lacking. Both of my dogs enjoy life; we train, romp and play, and learn every day. They are a pair o' aces and have changed many people's perception of what the Rottweiler breed truly is. We are in public as much as possible socializing and letting people see what proper training, socialization, and responsible ownership can produce. :up:

TR Young,

Schutzhund is one sport. I trained in that for a bit, then found the full suit sports like PSA and Ring sports. I like the full suit more (more my style... no tracking), but I don't care what protection sport you train, I just firmly believe that a working dog should be trained. When my Rottie was starting the work, he would get mad at me if we went too long between work outs. Unfortunately, I ruptured a disc in my back earlier this year and am recovering from surgery right now. It's going to be a while before I will be in any condition to work him :( Luckily, he is still ball crazy and will play fetch to get his energy out.

Nice to meet a fellow Rottie and Saiga owner that see eye to eye :)

Absolutely! Working breed dogs NEED A JOB. Whether that job is pulling a cart, protection training, Schutzhund, or something more basic like daily heeling or simple sit, down, stay, etc... commands to receive their toys, food, treats, or whatever, their minds need stimulated and they need to know that they have pleased you. When you give them something to put their mind and bodies into, they will amaze you with their results and their enthusiasm to produce those results. To me, there's nothing quite like watching a dog who loves it's work complete a task... They are so proud of themselves and they let everyone know it.

I think the next Rottie that I own will be trained in herding and agility, as well as Schutzhund. I have not really looked into the PSA and Ring sports yet; I'll have to do some research into them. There is a very highly regarded fellow here near me who teaches Schutzhund who's name is John Nussbaum. I have met him and seen him teaching his students and their dogs and the man is amazing. he's an old farm guy who just knows how to get in the heads of the dogs and turn their energy into sport. He is never heavy handed with them and always seems to know what makes each dog 'tick'. That is awesome in my book. :up:

I agree; it's always good to meet people with more than one thing in common on these forums and even more so when it's something that is a passionate hobby. Guns and dogs (Rotties in particular) are two of my biggest hobbies.

I grew-up with big dogs (St. Bernard, Wolf/Shepard mix, Doberman & Rottweiler).

Lately I've been trying to talk the little woman into a Moscow Watchdog, but she's not budging yet.

Just buy it. Women, in general, fall in love with puppies of any breed (ex. "Awww, he's so cute!"). By the time she/he gets to "big dog" size, she'll already be attached to him/her. :D