Yeah, it's my airplane. I have been a pilot since I was a teenager.

I was a flight instructor in small propeller driven airplanes when I was 18. I was an F-16 pilot in the Cold War and was a captain for Delta for many years after that. I am a helicopter pilot and a glider pilot as well.

I retired from the airline shit a few years ago and now just fly my airplane for fun.

It's an airplane designed to do airshows. It's a monster. It has only one seat and is designed to turn aviation gasoline (Av-Gas) into noise and "Ooh"s and "Ahhhh"s.

I don't do airshows, but I have done some competition aerobatics in it.

The wings are designed to withstand 20 Gs, but the mount that holds the engine on the airplane will only take 10. I generally only fly to +6/-4.

I got my fill of Gs in the F-16 (where we regularly pulled to 9).

I got the name "Bounce" as an active skydiver. My wife and I met skydiving, in fact.

I am one of those people who "bounced" and lived. Yes, it's a true story. I jumped with my wife (we were newly-weds at the time) on Memorial day, 1986 from 15,000 feet (yeah, you read that right, fifteen THOUSAND feet) and I managed to smack the ground without the benefit of an open parachute. I had about 500 skydives at the time.

There were all kinds of reasons I SHOULD HAVE DIED, but a few things happened that swung Lady Luck in my favor. Maybe I will spend the time to type out the whole nausiating story at some point.

I spent 10 weeks in TRACTION - that seriously sucked - and it was six months before I was walking unaided again.

My wife and I made another 100 jumps or so AFTER the bounce and we finally stopped jumping when we started having kids.

The moniker "Bounce" was given to me by my F-16 squadron homies. I was an F-16 pilot at the time. A fighter squadron is a pretty tough crowd and if there's ANYTHING in your life you'd like to forget, THEY WILL NAME YOU WITH IT.

LOL

The name stuck and I still go by it today (23 years later).

Edited by Bounce12

Cool story.

Learning to fly is on my list of things to do before I die (I should get started on that list).

I've seen those Red Bull air competitions.........them dudes are craaazy!

So when do you plan on mounting a couple Saigas to the wings of your plane? :D

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Mike Mancuso's airplane is an Extra 300.

There are many similarities with our airplanes, but there are many differences as well.

His airplane is quite a bit more expensive than mine is.

Mike Mangold's is too - Red Bull Air Race guy. He flies a Zivko Edge - monster airplane BEFORE the mods he did to it.

I appreciate all the helpful advice you guys have given on this web site. I bought the S-12 before I found this site and if I didn't have problems with the cycling, I might not have even stumbled in here.

I'm actually glad I had the cycling problem.

This web site is great.

I have some advice for those of you who want to learn to fly - DO IT.

However, wait until you can afford to go straight through without wondering where the money will come from for your next lesson.

You should fly three times per week (every other day or so) - not every day. Don't let more than a week go by without taking your next lesson (four days is really too much). Between lessons, you need to devote several hours to what we call "chair-flying."

Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger on it and I will help you out with the best way to do it and not waste money.

Edited by Bounce12