About 10 years ago I bought a Skorpion pistol at a gunshow in York PA. I didnt know anything about it (and still dont) but enjoyed shooting it and showing it off very much because it was so different from other handguns. I sold the pistol after only a few weeks for money to buy "assult" stuff because the ban had just arrived and I thought all the good semi-auto rifles would dry up. Ugh, the cool pistols did instead!

Now I see that the F.A.C. catalog has them for $190. And they look new. Does anybody know any history on the Skorpion? I am assuming that it was a military sidearm but from what country? It is a 9mm, I think mine was a .32 acp. Are they any good like the CZ and Makarov? Or are they just another cheap display piece that jams and misfires?

The original military version (VZ61) had a wire buttstock, was FA and used .32acp with an 800rpm rate reducer. But this one is obviously a civilianized semi-auto 9mm. I havent been able to find any information or facts on this pistol on the internet. Who makes them now? Who made them before? Are they worth a shit....etc. I would appriceate ANY information you guys have on this beauty, because I am ready to buy one now, but wont until I can research it a little bit. Thank You.

post-20-1106697892.jpg

Ok, since I cant find any information on this "skorpion" I am not going to buy it. The most I could find about it on the internet was a one line description saying something about it having a stainless steel reciever and being rechambered in 9mm semi. I am not going to make a $200 mistake when there are soooo many finely crafted high quality pistols to be had. Or even take the chance just because it looks cool.

The wife and I got our tax returns back already so I got the green light on a new firearm (not to exceed $500) I had off today, so I spent about 6 hours surfing through page after page of pistols, rifles, parts kits... you name it!

After all of that, heres what I came up with. Its an AMD65 parts kit that comes with an 80% reciever (for a pistol build) and all the bolts, screws, templates, instructions etc. to build it. (I was going to do this anyway eventually). I e-mailed the guy and got answers to a dozen questions in about an hour! They are also going to throw in free headspacing and heat treatment for me. The co. is called Marsh Hawk Arms. They are only a few bucks more than the cheaper parts kits but this guy really takes the extra time to put together a nice kit. He also offered to answer questions all the way through the build process. The kit I am going to order is grade A handpicked and they ship super fast.

http://www.ak-47.org/page3.html

post-20-1106981582.jpg

I am getting the combo kit that includes the grade A, Im not going to go through all the trouble of building a nice AK pistol to put crappy parts on it. I won't need the squishy US made fcg either since 922 doesent apply to "pistols". There are cheaper parts kits and cheaper recievers, but this is the only kit that sends it all together, even the screws. And its worth it IMO to spend the extra couple bucks for my first kit if it comes with it all. Plus the guy pays extra special attention to his customers. Just go on ak47.net or the gunsnetwork and type Marsh Hawk in the search. He gives everybody the royal treatment. Even the most mechanically impaired guys are building thier own AK's with these reciever kits because they are layed out so nicely and perfectly.

I am hoping that this will open the door for me to start building from scratch like the hardcore AK guys. I figure after about 3 or 4 of these kits, I will be able to put together a real nice AK without a ton of instuction and hand holding.

KEEP us all posted.... I may follow your lead... I have always wanted an AMD65... just never got to buying/building one... I think you got the right start... I will be waiting to hear how it all goes!! :)

:smoke:

Finally found a FFL that will recieve the reciever as a "pistol". For some reason none of my usual local guys would touch it <_< I am going to order the AMD65 with a 100% reciever tomorrow. I will let you guys know how this works out. I know alot of you like this rifle, well... you should. When these dry up, everybody will want one real bad! So far I love this Marsh Hawk guy. Wish me luck!

pistonring8,

As far as I can tell the SKORPION is now made by COBRAY. The same ones who make the

m-11 9mm (mac-10 look alike) That being said, the warranty and quality on cobray firearms

are good. This link clearly shows the cobray emblem on the top of the manual.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976438709.htm

There is also another one with fake suppresor

http://www.williamsandsonarms.com/page4.htm

Hope this helps.

MAC_TEK

Ohhhh! MacTec where were you 2 weeks ago?! If I would have known Cobray was the manufacturer, I would have went ahead and got it for $200. The Cobray stuff looks like it is real hard to find on the internet. I almost bought a Vulcan Arms Mac .45 before deciding on the AMD because I was so burnt out on looking for a fun handgun. Cobrays version of the MAC looks a little nicer than the Vulcan and its cheaper! Now I know they are the ones making the Skorpion 9mm too. Will Cobray sell privately and ship to a FFL? THANK YOUa thousand times Mac Tec, I have been bouncing my head off the computer screen for far too long trying to unravel this mistery.

Pistonring8,

Sorry about not being of help sooner. Glad you liked the info. I am so busy any more

that I only get to read the forum about once a week. Let me know if you see them again

for $200. Have you seen extra mags ?? How much ??

Have a good one,

MAC_TEK

Look in the link above in my first post. They are available from the F.A.C. catalog. Thier website is www.gunsnstuff.net Not .com that takes you somewheres else.

The catalog was the first place I ever saw such a thing. All it says is its in 9mm and comes with a 10 round mag. I had the money put aside and was ready to order, but thought better of it because I could not find any other info. Now I am going to have to wait until I build up a firearms fund again because I ordered that AMD with a numbered reciever.

I still cant seem to find out if Cobray will sell to a private person or only to dealers. I dont know if this pistol will take a mag from another make or not like the Vulcan Mac10. And I dont know how much of it is made of plastic. If you dig up anything, please let me know.

• 1 year later...

:lolol: Bump over a year later.

LOL :lolol:

The above picture is actually a "scarab"...not really anywhere near a true Skorpion. None of the parts are interchangeable. The above is 9x19mm.

The real Skorpion is .32ACP/7.65mm.

I should pm pistonring and see if he is interested in a real VZ-61 parts kit. Go for about $200.00 right now.

The receiver is the spendy part! $600.00 plus!

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor
  • 3 years later...

I guess they stopped making these pistols. The 9mm skorpion's were made by cobray years ago for a short period of time. I only found this post because I watched the lobby fight from the matrix here.

and searched to see if these pistols were still avalible.

he uses them from 1:21 to arround 2 min into the clip.

keanu reeves uses two of these pistols in the movie, however they piece together film of the wrong brass falling, you'll note its 5.56 brass from a 9mm gun.

Edited by mike123456

The real vz61 was a preferred tool of Carlos the Jackal, IIRC. Machine-pistol designed for ease of concealability, designed to use .32ACP because it's widely available--and then promulgated within the ComBloc and black market because of its suitability for "wetwork".

• 2 weeks later...

When this thread originally started.............I had a different girlfriend, less guns, lived in a different house, and was about 40LBS heavier than I am now. :lolol:

Man I had the same girl, owned a house, made about 45,000 more per year and weighed 40lbs less.......

Still had less guns though.....unless that AK sold.... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up one of the Skarabs on a trade 2 weeks ago at a gunshow. I'm embarassed to say what I traded for it. I always liked the Vz.61, and jumped at the chance to won one in 9mm.

Now I'm wishing I would've picked up one in .32ACP. I only have one 32rd mag for it, and I'm not having any luck finding any more :o

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...