What reason to give chief LEO to sign Form 1 for 8" SBS?

"Any Legal Purpose" I like the best.

I'm going to use that one when I get my first sound suppressor... Then a SBR, then a SBS... :)

I say try and hold a straight face and say: Any legal Purpose ..... dramatic pause.... look very serious..... And.... Zombies.... :lolol:

Seems there's some confusion in this thread.

The question was, what reason should he give to his CLEO as to why he wants a shotgun with an 8" barrel, and not what should he put in the "Reason" box on the Form 1, which is asked by the ATF and not the CLEO.

My advice on the Form 1 "reason" box is always to put, "Any and all lawful purposes."

As far as what to tell your Sheriff, if you are there when you're asking him to sign it (I just mail my forms in and he signs and mails them back), I would probably say something like collector and investment reasons.

You should tell him that you are no criminal and to mind his own business. If he insists, tell him it's because you are in the pursuit of happiness and to go fuck himself.

Yeah, telling an officer who you want something from to "go fuck himself" is a good way to get your business taken care of. :rolleyes:

You should tell him that you are no criminal and to mind his own business. If he insists, tell him it's because you are in the pursuit of happiness and to go fuck himself.

spoken like a true prodigy.....i live in california so no matter what i say about my happiness, no one cares....

"Any Legal Purpose"

Some states won't except "Any Legal Purpose" as it is to broad.

"Research And Development"

"Range And Target"

"Collecting"

I am very lucky and my CLEO is NFA friendly.

If I really wanted to I could put "Zombies", "Commies", "Undead", "Chupacabra", "Bigfoot" whatever.

But like Bob says. "This is not the place to fuck around."

So it's "Any Legal Purpose"

Seems there's some confusion in this thread.

The question was, what reason should he give to his CLEO as to why he wants a shotgun with an 8" barrel, and not what should he put in the "Reason" box on the Form 1, which is asked by the ATF and not the CLEO.

There's no confusion, at least not to me. Except in very small districts, you'll probably never see your CLEO when you get the signoff. You just submit the form, which has the explanation on it.

Now, if the CLEO wanted to interview you it would be different, but not difficult. Just tell him the truth (without sounding like a nut); you like to collect firearms and NFA guns are a great investment.

What would one engrave on the receiver in the case of a "Living Trust"?

John Doe Living Trust

City, State

I have an ATF letter explaining the depth, font size, and approved locations (receiver and barrel)

The way I understood it, you're not asking permission from the CLEO, you're notifying them almost like a courtesy, and giving them the opportunity to deny it if there's a real reason. They are required to sign it unless you have a legitimate reason. Trying to argue that with the Sheriff might be tough though...I simply went the Trust route myself.

Wish that was true. You're asking them to certify there are no laws in your area prohibiting the NFA item. They don't have to sign (except TN) and can choose whatever reason they want or no reason at all. My sheriff refused to sign on my first purchase so I found somebody else, I had done my homework. After that I started a trust, and its been smooth sailing ever since. There's a list of who can sign off.

"That list of persons comes from 27 CFR sec. 179.85,

which is the regulation that created the law enforcement

certification requirement for Form 4's. 27 CFR sec. 179.63 is the

companion regulation for Form 1's."

It includes the

local chief of police (if any), the local sheriff, the local

district (prosecuting) attorney, the chief of the state police, and

the state Attorney General.

• 2 weeks later...

"Add to collection" for me was denied after an 8 month delay and screw-around. I went with a trust, because I was up a creek with no representation (hahahaha).

I'd try as non-smartass as possible. If it fails, you got corporation and trust methods.

I wrote All lawful purposes on my form 1's.

The form 4's say collecting and sport shooting.

My sheriff does a quick check on me just to see if i've been good before he signs.

Do I also need to do a form 4?

or just form 1?

Form 1 is for manufacturing a class 3 item, Form 4 is for transferring one to a civilian. If you're buying something, just the Form 4. If you're making something, just the Form 1.

Hmm.

Well ive contacted a coroner, he wont sign it.

I've talked to my FFL, who is a cop for a local city and he told me our Sheriff wont sign it because hes a dick, so I'm not bothering there.

I have left a message for the secretary of the chief of the suburb my mother lives in.

Techincally I live in downtown cleveland, I dont even know/think that weapons are legal to own in the downtown area, let alone NFA type weapons.

So I need to call around with out raising any red flags and see if I can perhaps get the Chief for the downtown area to sign off on it, if in fact I'm able to have them down there.

I feel I may have to go the route of a trust... but when i talked to a local lawyer to draw it up and make sure it covered gun laws, he told me the costs were around 4k.

he was talking about opening up an LLC in MD or something because that way they are covered as assets to the LLC, then the trust and no one can go try and get the weapons as assets this way.

I want my assets to be secured and the way he explained it, this LLC in MD was the only way to gurantee that.

Edited by TronJohn
Hmm.

Well ive contacted a coroner, he wont sign it.

I've talked to my FFL, who is a cop for a local city and he told me our Sheriff wont sign it because hes a dick, so I'm not bothering there.

I have left a message for the secretary of the chief of the suburb my mother lives in.

Techincally I live in downtown cleveland, I dont even know/think that weapons are legal to own in the downtown area, let alone NFA type weapons.

So I need to call around with out raising any red flags and see if I can perhaps get the Chief for the downtown area to sign off on it, if in fact I'm able to have them down there.

I feel I may have to go the route of a trust... but when i talked to a local lawyer to draw it up and make sure it covered gun laws, he told me the costs were around 4k.

he was talking about opening up an LLC in MD or something because that way they are covered as assets to the LLC, then the trust and no one can go try and get the weapons as assets this way.

I want my assets to be secured and the way he explained it, this LLC in MD was the only way to gurantee that.

My lawyer charged $500. I was put in touch with her by a different lawyer, my understanding is that he can pretty much help you no matter what state you are in, here is a link to his website. Send him an email and he'll get back to ya.