So guys, how much do you know of your car maker? where was your car made? Here are some questions for you guys

Where are these made?

1. Chevy

2. Ford

3. Chrysler

4. Honda

5. Toyota

6. Nissan

7. Hyundai

8. Volvo

Now I posted this up to see how sharp you guys are, but also to keep myself refreshed because I have lost track myself. But I do know this, Some of the best selling Toyota and Honda vehicles are built here in the USA. So when you guys go out and buy that car/truck, who are we really supporting? (and I don't mean big shot CEO, I mean the average worker)

So guys, how much do you know of your car maker? where was your car made? Here are some questions for you guys

Where are these made?

1. Chevy

2. Ford

3. Chrysler

4. Honda

5. Toyota

6. Nissan

7. Hyundai

8. Volvo

Now I posted this up to see how sharp you guys are, but also to keep myself refreshed because I have lost track myself. But I do know this, Some of the best selling Toyota and Honda vehicles are built here in the USA. So when you guys go out and buy that car/truck, who are we really supporting? (and I don't mean big shot CEO, I mean the average worker)

I am a full time Nissan master tech. Some models are completely made in Japan usually the Z and some models have parts shipped from Japan for final assembly in Mexico (Sentras mostly) the US and Canada.

May not be the most current info :unsure: but I just fix em. Usually under warranty. :wet_eyes::angry:

As we say in the shop I didn't buy it, build it or brake it.

ah, I know a lot about cars....all of these are made on a planet called earth! huh? HUH? hows that for informed!!

sorry, im not one of those guys that goes "aw SWEET my lift kit is here!"....I am more of the "ah FUCK I need a lift to fix this f'n thing" kind of guy.

spend less, and drive it till ya kill it!!!

We live outside of Flint.... If it's not GM... they come for you in the night...... :unsure:

Lorie's Dad just retired after 42 years of service... with in a year of retirement.. they SCREW him by yanking his health care...

We live outside of Flint.... If it's not GM... they come for you in the night...... :unsure:

Lorie's Dad just retired after 42 years of service... with in a year of retirement.. they SCREW him by yanking his health care...

That figures.

I've had a Mitsubishi, two Nissans, and a Chevy. The 3 japo ones were made in the US, the Chevy was Canada/US.

I got a lot of flack from "domestic" guys back in the day. Up until the point I told them their Ford F18,000 was made in Mexico and my Mitsu was made in Illinois.

There was a Nissan sentra plant in TN. There's a Honda plant, a Toyota plant, and a Hyundai plant in Alabama.

Toyota made a corolla for a while, but it was badged as a Chevy Prism, the only difference was that the Prism didn't have a front sway bar, I believe.

The definition of "made in the USA" has been seriously bastardized. Most of the time stuff's either assembled in the USA with foreign parts, or assembled in a foreign country with USA parts.

Like Ripper, I'm a full time Tech/Working Foreman for a large car rental company (20+ years). In the good days we were 88% GM with just enough Fords and Chrysler products to take care of customers doing business with local plants (like Juggs stated, you don't want to drive a competetor vehicle to the wrong place). Today we have everything you can name in a fleet of 3-6000 vehicles in my city. Assembled is the catch word-most US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Korea. Other than that, it's like a one world government when it comes to parts. Made in America has become almost a joke

Where are these made?

1. Chevy

2. Ford

3. Chrysler

4. Honda

5. Toyota

6. Nissan

7. Hyundai

8. Volvo

While I'd love to help out and get really specific, it depends on the MODEL as much as the make. F'rinstance, the old Chebby Camaro was built in Canada.

Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, and even VW have plants in Mexico. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and I *think* Hyundai have plants here in the US. Some Volvos are built in Sweden, some in England, and I think a few are even built in the Czech Republic, if memory serves.

Also, some may not know it, but Nissan is owned by French automaker Renault.

Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Spanish automaker SEAT, and Audi are owned by the VW Group.

Volvo is (or was, maybe it sold) owned by Ford, along with Aston Martin, Jaguar (just sold to Indian maker Tata last summer), and Range Rover (also just sold). Ford holds a major stake in Mazda, too.

GM has Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, Saturn, and Buick, of course (and the late Oldsmobile brand), but they also have Suzuki, parts of Daewoo and Kia, Subaru, SAAB (just went bankrupt), and until last summer, they also had a 20% stake in FIAT, who happen to own Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, and Maserati.

What else?

Lexus is a Toyota brand, as is Scion; Acura is a Honda brand (did you know "Acura" only exists in North America? Everywhere else in the world, they're just sold as Hondas); Infiniti is Nissan's upscale brand.

Lexus is a Toyota brand, as is Scion; Acura is a Honda brand (did you know "Acura" only exists in North America? Everywhere else in the world, they're just sold as Hondas); Infiniti is Nissan's upscale brand.

I knew that too. You can see a lot of similarities in certain makes. Example: Certain Lexus' look damn near identical to Toyota Camry's of the same era, old Infiniti G20's look damn near identical to Nissan Sentras of the same era, and so on and so on.

I did a :huh: when I first saw a "Honda Integra" (which is an Acura Integra, here) for sale on eBay, years ago.

<--My '98 Civic was made/assembled in the US. So was my '93.

I knew that too. You can see a lot of similarities in certain makes. Example: Certain Lexus' look damn near identical to Toyota Camry's of the same era, old Infiniti G20's look damn near identical to Nissan Sentras of the same era, and so on and so on.

I did a :huh: when I first saw a "Honda Integra" (which is an Acura Integra, here) for sale on eBay, years ago.

<--My '98 Civic was made/assembled in the US. So was my '93.

Actually, the old P10 Infiniti g20's were on the same frame as a car sold in europe called a Primera. I think the Nissan stanza might have been the same body. The sentra is a B series chasis.

The first Lexus's that came out were pretty much rebadged Camry's with leather and fancy sound systems.

I don't know ANY of the new model names of Lexus cars, the only ones I know are the old SC300/400's that people call Supras and you look and see what they're actually driving.

But I think they still offer a few cars that just are rebadged Toyotas though, right? Like, they have a FWD series that are just rebadged Toyota models, and RWD line(s?) which is like the Mercedes style luxury mobiles, right?

I don't know ANY of the new model names of Lexus cars, the only ones I know are the old SC300/400's that people call Supras and you look and see what they're actually driving.

But I think they still offer a few cars that just are rebadged Toyotas though, right? Like, they have a FWD series that are just rebadged Toyota models, and RWD line(s?) which is like the Mercedes style luxury mobiles, right?

The newest body style Lexus' are pretty different from the Toyota's now, the IS series is pretty wild looking, and the ES is more like a camery but not as similar as the previous generations, I would say their LS series which are pretty damn big is a huge improvement, but I'd have the say their IS 350 is very impressive, boasting faster then BMW quarter mile and a nice ride/looks. Ford may no longer have a stake in Subaru, if they do, its very very small, Subaru (which is Fuji Heavy Industries) may now be majority owned by Toyota. It's kinda sad whats going on, too hard to even keep up with, I'm probably going to buy a newer Tacoma, which is assembled here, and bury my worn out Ranger. At least i'll be supporting an average american's job

The SC300/400 was a version of what was sold in Japan as a Toyota Soarer, if I remember correctly. Not quite a Supra, but the twin-turbo Supra drivetrain does drop right into the old SC. There's a guy here who drag-races one of the old SC300s with the Supra TT engine, plus a LOT of under-the-hood modifications. He's been dyno-verified at 700hp at the rear wheels. Funny thing is, the car looks damn near stock, until you get a look at it from behind, where you notice the big-ass racing slicks tucked under the rear end!

The Lexus ES is still a rebadged Camry, but made a lot more luxurious. You'd be amazed how many cars share the same platform (Acura Integra and Honda Civic, for instance, are built on the same basic floorpan; pretty much all of the Integra's engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension will swap right over to a Civic, which is why the ricers love them so). I think right now the record belongs to the VW Rabbit, which last I heard was the underpinnings for some SEVEN different cars (Audi A3, Audi TT, VW Rabbit, Jetta, and Eos, SEAT something or other, and a couple others that slip my mind).

I was surprised that Ford sold Jaguar. I assumed that the next-generation Jag XJ sedan and the Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis were going to share the same architecture. I mean, look at the newest versions of each, and see how similar they are!

The newest body style Lexus' are pretty different from the Toyota's now, the IS series is pretty wild looking, and the ES is more like a camery but not as similar as the previous generations, I would say their LS series which are pretty damn big is a huge improvement, but I'd have the say their IS 350 is very impressive, boasting faster then BMW quarter mile and a nice ride/looks. Ford may no longer have a stake in Subaru, if they do, its very very small, Subaru (which is Fuji Heavy Industries) may now be majority owned by Toyota. It's kinda sad whats going on, too hard to even keep up with, I'm probably going to buy a newer Tacoma, which is assembled here, and bury my worn out Ranger. At least i'll be supporting an average american's job

Yeah, the Lexus IS series are pretty sweet. They're an Americanized version of the Toyota Altezza (now you know who to blame for all those ricer taillights!).

Far as I know, Ford never had a stake in Subaru; that was GM. They owned enough of Subaru to dictate terms to them. When the Subie WRX was a big hit and a hot ride, GM ordered Subaru to make a version for SAAB to sell - it was known as the SAAB 9-2x, and came only as a 5-door wagon. By all accounts, it was MUCH nicer and more refined than the WRX while being just about as quick, but it just didn't sell. Really pissed off Subaru at the time, too, because they were selling WRXs as fast as they could build them - they sure as hell didn't need the headache of having to build someone else's cars alongside theirs!

Yeah, the Lexus IS series are pretty sweet. They're an Americanized version of the Toyota Altezza (now you know who to blame for all those ricer taillights!).

Far as I know, Ford never had a stake in Subaru; that was GM. They owned enough of Subaru to dictate terms to them. When the Subie WRX was a big hit and a hot ride, GM ordered Subaru to make a version for SAAB to sell - it was known as the SAAB 9-2x, and came only as a 5-door wagon. By all accounts, it was MUCH nicer and more refined than the WRX while being just about as quick, but it just didn't sell. Really pissed off Subaru at the time, too, because they were selling WRXs as fast as they could build them - they sure as hell didn't need the headache of having to build someone else's cars alongside theirs!

The first good car Saab ever made, ain't it ironic?

(Acura Integra and Honda Civic, for instance, are built on the same basic floorpan; pretty much all of the Integra's engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension will swap right over to a Civic, which is why the ricers love them so).

Which is funny. I've lost count of how many times I've seen/heard of people dropping GSR motors into Civics, back in highschool. I never got it. The Integra just looks better than Civics, and generally had a much nicer factory interior. Why not just keep the GSR motors in the damn Integra!?!? Maybe a weight issue? I dunno.

(Acura Integra and Honda Civic, for instance, are built on the same basic floorpan; pretty much all of the Integra's engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension will swap right over to a Civic, which is why the ricers love them so).

Which is funny. I've lost count of how many times I've seen/heard of people dropping GSR motors into Civics, back in highschool. I never got it. The Integra just looks better than Civics, and generally had a much nicer factory interior. Why not just keep the GSR motors in the damn Integra!?!? Maybe a weight issue? I dunno.

It's because the Integra has 200 or so pounds on the Civic. Although you put Integra suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires on a Civic, and there you are. The Integra obviously has a stronger frame (body) as all the windows are smaller.

If you ask a Honda guy, the Civic is better, if you asked somebody with a clue, they'd tell you the Integra was better. If you asked me, I say get a $300 '80s mustang and go sideways.

It's because the Integra has 200 or so pounds on the Civic. Although you put Integra suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires on a Civic, and there you are. The Integra obviously has a stronger frame (body) as all the windows are smaller.

If you ask a Honda guy, the Civic is better, if you asked somebody with a clue, they'd tell you the Integra was better. If you asked me, I say get a $300 '80s mustang and go sideways.

Yeah, I figured it was a weight thing. Personally, I like Integras better, eventhough I've owned 2 Civics. The other common thing I saw was taking H22 motors out of Preludes and throwing them in Civics.

Yeah, I figured it was a weight thing. Personally, I like Integras better, eventhough I've owned 2 Civics. The other common thing I saw was taking H22 motors out of Preludes and throwing them in Civics.

Yup, it's a weight thing - plus a handling thing. Dropping the GSR or Integra Type-R engine into a CRX gets you a bunch of power (relatively speaking) in a very small, light package. I used to autocross an '89 CRX with an Integra GSR engine and transmission, plus some other goodies. On a tight course, the ONLY car that could compete was a Z06 'Vette on racing slicks! Of course, I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to drag-race a $300 Mustang with that CRX - a 'Stang with just a few mods can be a monster in a straight line!

As for the H22 Prelude Type S engine - I never wanted one in my CRX, but I *still* want one in my old Accord wagon. Horsepower jumps from a stock 130hp to the H22's 195hp, a solid 50% boost in power. It's supposed to be a pretty simple drop-in, but my money situation just doesn't allow it right now.

Yup, it's a weight thing - plus a handling thing. Dropping the GSR or Integra Type-R engine into a CRX gets you a bunch of power (relatively speaking) in a very small, light package. I used to autocross an '89 CRX with an Integra GSR engine and transmission, plus some other goodies. On a tight course, the ONLY car that could compete was a Z06 'Vette on racing slicks! Of course, I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to drag-race a $300 Mustang with that CRX - a 'Stang with just a few mods can be a monster in a straight line!

As for the H22 Prelude Type S engine - I never wanted one in my CRX, but I *still* want one in my old Accord wagon. Horsepower jumps from a stock 130hp to the H22's 195hp, a solid 50% boost in power. It's supposed to be a pretty simple drop-in, but my money situation just doesn't allow it right now.

Oh man, CRX's. I forgot all about those things. A buddy of mine used to have one. He, at 6'3"/300ishLBS, had a really hard time getting in and out of that thing :lol: . But he loved that car.

I like all types of cars. I like to see someone take a 4-cylinder "grocery-getter" and turn it into formidable machine. No, I'm not talking about those punk asses who go to Auto Zone, buy a generic fart can, and think they have a race car (that's the definition of a "ricer", in my eyes). I've seen people mod the hell out of Civic's, Integras, Accords, etc, and end up with a nice looking car, and a car that can hold it's own at the strip or track.

On the other hand, there's nothing like American muscle. A friend in highschool took me for a ride in the old Chevelle that he and his dad built up. Holy shit, that thing was fast. Just hearing that <chug, chug, chug, chug> when it was idling was drool-inducing.

Edited by 22_Shooter

22Shooter, you and I agree on quite a bit!

I love my CRXs - I'm down to only two of them now, from a high of 5 a few years back - and at 6'8" and 260 lbs, I find I fit just fine in them. It's a li'l tight, but certainly no worse than most cars I encounter. I fit better in the CRX than I do in my '01 Dodge Dakota, that's for sure! Damned Dodge has zero-point-shit for headroom, and there's a nice structural brace running across the roof right where my head wants to be.

I tended to like smaller cars growing up - my dad had a weakness for European cars - Porsche, Jag, MG, Rover, and the like, and I kinda caught the bug from him. So the Hondas are a natural progression for me. My brothers both gravitated to musclecars, though - specifically Mopar muscle.

And yeah, I can't take the ricers, either. I've done quite a bit of mods to one of my CRXs (the other is bone stock, and will stay that way, since it looks like it just left the factory), but ALL of the mods are out of sight, except for the addition of 15" wheels and wider-than-stock tires (about 1" wider, not sticking-outside-the-fenders wide!). For all who see it, the car looks like just another daily-driven CRX. But it tends to be just a li'l quicker than most. ;)

But yeah, there's still nothing like the sound of a good old American V8 breathing through glass-paks. No fart-can on a Honda is ever going to replace that sound!