My Weaponlight Project

Oh man that slid right by me! Nice Bob!

But now ya can't mount a side rail connected to an AR carry handle with a rail, connected to another rail, riding piggy back on a telescope. What gives bro? :unsure:

:angel: lol

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I made a little more progress on my shorty. I was going to wait until it's painted, but I'll post that later.   Anyway, I wanted a bright spotlight, but I wanted a more "built-in" look. Here's

That gas plug mod is pretty cool.

No problem, Bob, cool is cool.   When Mike D and I were discussing getting the plugs mass-produced, there was some talk of a lever to assist in rotation. It just complicated the manufacture and woul

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

WANT WANT WANT!....... bump.... Oh, and where do ya get these super cool skull weld on charging handles I been seeing as of late? Man, I cant believe how much cool stuff is out there now for these guns since I started coming back to this site. I had no idea.

ETA: someone oughta do an actual punisher skull version. That'd be too cool.

Oh, and that gas plug lever mod....... too fuckin sweet..... Ya gotta make it for the masses. I'll getcha a $2000 dollar an hour hooker if ya do. ( I just wont be able to buy ya much time)

Edited by mikw1972
  • 1 year later...

Amazing work! I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering.

How is the flashlight lamp mounted? Do you think you could post some pics? Has the flashlight lamp assembly survived the recoil on its own or did you have to do any mods to keep it running?

Very slick set up. It really blends with the gun extremely well. I have seen pics of your gun before and never really noticed the light (or if I did it didn't quite register) until I read this thread...

Trigun,

The lamp head has a welded extension on the bottom, like a piece of channel. The channel fits between the inner walls of the handguard perfectly.

4 flathead screws go through the handguard into threaded holes in the channel piece. In the pic below you can see the screws, and directly above the weld bead. I had to look for a while to find a pic where the light caught it just right and blow up that section, they really are hard to see.

No mods were necessary for the lamp. LED lamps are extremely robust from vibration; it's heat that kills them. Since I removed a lot of aluminum from the head, it probably won't withstand a very long run time followed by shooting. But that doesn't bother me. The way I use it (night varmint hunting) we drive around spotlighting and I energize the light to aquire targets.

If you wanted to run it full time it would be fairly simple to add an additional heat sink to the design. Also one could replace the LED board with a surefire if a greater "feeling" of reliability was required. In fact you could just start out with an expensive flashlight I suppose.

I have been unable to break mine yet. I did buy a couple of extra lights just in case though.

post-2775-0-06058100-1295360499_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobAsh
  • 2 months later...

Nice ideas Bob. That's part of the reason I went with the Auto-plug. Saves alot of space. I always wondered why so many VFGs have "battery" storage compartments/switch space and no lights to go with it all. I see another market opening up. WOOWHOO