New trigger guard available

Slightly OT, but out of curiosity, has anyone tried using pop rivets to attach the trigger guard?

I wonder if this trigger guard is going to come with screw hardware for installing without rivet jigs.

Inadequate,the first time you go prone and jam your mag against something it will rip them right out via leverage alone.

Use screws,nuts and a backing plate if you don't want to rivet but pop-rivets are useless

Au contraire, mes ami. We're talking Saigas here.

The mag catch is not part of the trigger guard on a Saiga.

Pop rivets (while ghetto) should work reasonably well.

I'm not sure what the big deal is with going to the hardware store and buying 8/32 cap head screws is, though.

By golly you're right,LOL

I haven't even picked up the shotgun in so long I'd totally forgotten that.

I still think he should use some screws

The drilling is a strike against. Not a deal breaker, but a definite strike against.

Tromix, Saigatech, anyone else with metal forming talent and tools, are you listening? There seems to be a small market for DIY trigger guards more similar to OEM shape. A void needs to be filled. :ph34r:

This is exactly why I have been collecting takeoff TGs and plates...

Sweet! I can tell you you've got at least one customer waiting to see the fruits of your labors. :super:

Is there some reason that my posts are being deleted? Is it a problem with the board, am I wrong somehow or is it deliberate?

I have been watching it for a while and have said nothing, but now I am beginning to wonder! I posted a comment to this thread and it has been deleted.

I stated that if folks lacked the technical skills to reuse the factory trigger guard that this one was going to be outside of their technical ability as well because of the rivets.

Now, it is gone...

Whats up?

Is there some reason that my posts are being deleted? Is it a problem with the board, am I wrong somehow or is it deliberate?

I have been watching it for a while and have said nothing, but now I am beginning to wonder! I posted a comment to this thread and it has been deleted.

I stated that if folks lacked the technical skills to reuse the factory trigger guard that this one was going to be outside of their technical ability as well because of the rivets.

Now, it is gone...

Whats up?

If a Mod deletes a post, it is kept in the trash file..... I can not find any recently deleted post associated with your account.... I may Trash and ad or edit a post... But I don't just make stuff disappear for no reason...

No odd chatter in the admin section either.....

Very strange......

I also have not deleted anyone posts... and juggs is right... if they were, they would be in the "trash can" where mods can see them... So it must be a computer glitch... or someone higher than us mods was messing around... although I cant imagine WHY max would do such a thing... it makes no sense...

:smoke:

i have installed one of these trigger guards. i wanted the original look for my s12. i filed the extra material down to leave a smaller support by the rivets.

i didnt see the saiga selector stop or pistol grip nut. great products!

i ground down a standard 4 hole selector stop plate and used a pg reinforcement plate. i made the hole for the pg nut.

use the original hole to the rear of the trigger opening. then line up the trigger guard straight. mark the holes and drill. wasnt hard at all. worked out nice.

it is far enough back that you have plenty of room to hit the mag release. especially if you take off material like i did.

I would be very interested in seeing a pic of your mods. Did you use rivets to attach?

sorry,

no pics at this time. i did rivet it on. i have a little more material on mine than the s12. i may file it down more. not sure yet.

Thanks for the reports Mods!

I first noticed it a few weeks ago in BobAsh's Skull Charging handle thread. It has happed twice since then.

At no time was a controversial post or some such. Oh well... :unsure:

Here are the ones I have made for a few friends and some members on the board.

P1040479.jpg

For the price the AK-Builder is a great choice and if you wanted it to be OEM style it could be reshaped to the original style very easily.

sKott

I know I'm a newbie on this site, but here's my .02. Curtis is a A+ parts supplier.

I have build 10+ AK rifles with his parts for myself and other forum members.

Before he offered the Saiga trigger guard, I bought his new production AK trigger

guard, safety stop and reinforcement plates for my Saiga builds. One build is done, and I'm

waiting on my NOBAMA special.

Here's the first build. Since I like the look of the AK trigger guard, this build has the

AK-Builder rivets, reinforcement plate, safety stop, and trigger guard from a Romanian

part set. The receiver has also been modified for the double hook trigger, and the

reinforcement plate spot welded on. Since I have built my AK's from flat's, all tools

necessary were already on hand.

img7926i.jpg

img7921d.jpg

Here's how it looks for now.

img7937.jpg

img7938.jpg

I know I'm a newbie on this site, but here's my .02. Curtis is a A+ parts supplier.

I have build 10+ AK rifles with his parts for myself and other forum members.

Before he offered the Saiga trigger guard, I bought his new production AK trigger

guard, safety stop and reinforcement plates for my Saiga builds. One build is done, and I'm

waiting on my NOBAMA special.

Here's the first build. Since I like the look of the AK trigger guard, this build has the

AK-Builder rivets, reinforcement plate, safety stop, and trigger guard from a Romanian

part set. The receiver has also been modified for the double hook trigger, and the

reinforcement plate spot welded on. Since I have built my AK's from flat's, all tools

necessary were already on hand.

img7926i.jpg

img7921d.jpg

Here's how it looks for now.

img7937.jpg

img7938.jpg

That is just beautyful! I love the classic lines.

7.62m43,

That's a Ace internal block, stock, and push button folding mechanism.

The hardest part of the modification was setting the front set of rivets.

The forward most set are directly under the center support/magazine

catch. kbailey3

I have to agree with the others about Curtis, great seller and would do business with him again in a heartbeat. I ordered this guard late monday night and even though UPS tracking said it would be delivered the following monday, it was on my door step when I got home from work yesterday. I ordered it cuz I like the traditional lines of it as opposed to all the sharp angles of the tromix kit even though the tromix kit looks a little easier to install......either way, I can't wait to get the rest of my parts so the conversion can commence

• 2 weeks later...

I don't imagine the model with the plate would work with a SAW grip. Probably the second model would I'm guessing. I already have the square hole cut for the PG nut, but I'm wanting to use a SAW grip. What to do......what to do.....

Corbin

The drilling is a strike against. Not a deal breaker, but a definite strike against.

Tromix, Saigatech, anyone else with metal forming talent and tools, are you listening? There seems to be a small market for DIY trigger guards more similar to OEM shape. A void needs to be filled. :ph34r:

I hope that someone, anyone, starts making a DIY trigger guard kit that approximates the look of a standard AK. In the meantime, I'll probably just order a saigatech kit,

He offers it both ways for those who are afraid to drill.

saiga_pistol_grip_mount.jpg

http://www.ak-builder.com/

img7926i.jpg

I have a question. Is there a reason to not to weld up the hole where the rear rivet of the original trigger guard was? I am getting ready to weld up my old FCG holes and have noticed a couple of pictures were people left that hole.

Thank you

jonblack

My thinking is, if you are spending the money and the time to de-convert your Saiga to the pistol grip variety, go the extra few steps. Putting on the easy trigger guard is like going the extra steps to make a cake from scratch and then using a canned frosting to ice it. My personal tastes is for the square Kalashnikov trigger guard, so I bought a Bulgarian TG and the selector stop and the rivets. I kept all four holes in the front of the TG and selector stop and did not cut them back to two. I riveted the rear rivet and the rearward two rivets on the front of the TG. I then cut down the front-most two rivets, tapered them, drilled two slightly smaller holes in the receiver for them, and hammered them in (I also put a very small amount of epoxy on them before hammering). (Thanks to Cobra for the tip on those pesky front two rivets). It looks good and classic.

As for the old existing mag release housing, I kept its rounded shape, but cut it down proportionately. It is still rounded, like the original, but smaller. There is not a big gap for the mag release, but it is sufficient. I will have to post pictures later.

Drilling holes in the receiver or cutting out the square hole for the pistol grip nut are no problem. All you need are a good drill bit (titanium or cobalt work well), a Dremel Tool, a measuring device, and patience. Remember: measure twice, cut once. Also, it has been posted here before to use bee's wax as a lubricant for your drill bits when drilling the receiver.

The only thing I did not do was the reinforcement plate.

img7938.jpg

The hole I am referring to is not covered by the pistol grip in this photo. I see the guy who submitted the photo didn't weld up the other holes, either, though.

jonblack

There is no reason to leave that hole. If it is left, it is due to oversight. I had a friend TIG weld up all unessential holes except for those explicitly covered by the pistol grip. I then grounded and smoothed the welded holes down flush with the receiver.

Blackthorne,

I'm not done with the Saiga yet. Here are the options I've been

toying with:

1) Weld up all old holes. (I need to practice my MIG welding first)

2) Secure the internal stock block through the old FCG holes with

Button Head Cap Screws, as mention on this board.

3) Secure the internal stock block through the old FCG holes with

rivets. I would have to parkerize the gun first as you can't phosphate

aluminum.

4) Nothing for now and keep building/buying firearms while they are

still legal. There will be plenty of time in the future to do cosmetic

changes.

So far I've gone with #4. All of my builds are still in the white. kbailey3

Edit: for spacing

Edited by kbailey3
img7938.jpg

The hole I am referring to is not covered by the pistol grip in this photo. I see the guy who submitted the photo didn't weld up the other holes, either, though.

jonblack

No, an original AK PG will not cover it. But most folks are using either a Ergo or Saw grip. Both of them cover the rear hole.