Kool-Aid drinking friend. :cryss: Welder by trade. Great at it, have him do fine welding of parts for me. Pays for his art stuff. Kind of stuff, you never quite figure out why it is named, or what it is. :unsure: It starts like this, "You're a gun nut, right" Thought, here we go again. Yet, no. He wants to know really about which handgun and longgun he should get. :eek: I just about fall over. We are talking, 60's protestor type, that's now in his sixties. So, have made plans to take him out shooting about half dozen pistols, and a few rifles. :super: His exact words. "Maybe we messed up this time." Didn't push it as we talked. Just that even some know it was easier to bitch, than really be in control. Got the idea, he is spooked that leftist, not liberals, really are in control. :smoke:

Kool-Aid drinking friend. :cryss: Welder by trade. Great at it, have him do fine welding of parts for me. Pays for his art stuff. Kind of stuff, you never quite figure out why it is named, or what it is. :unsure: It starts like this, "You're a gun nut, right" Thought, here we go again. Yet, no. He wants to know really about which handgun and longgun he should get. :eek: I just about fall over. We are talking, 60's protestor type, that's now in his sixties. So, have made plans to take him out shooting about half dozen pistols, and a few rifles. :super: His exact words. "Maybe we messed up this time." Didn't push it as we talked. Just that even some know it was easier to bitch, than really be in control. Got the idea, he is spooked that leftist, not liberals, really are in control. :smoke:

Not suprised, seems to be some of that "maybe we messed up this time" going around some of the people I know, and family. I like the way you've handeled it, I find it more difficult to keep my cool with some of my older family members. Good job :super:

Just really got the felling of his dread. Must be like, after a commie revolt, when no one knows who to trust. The peoples fight turns on itself, and who ever is the most vicious takes control. :unsure:

I hadn't really thought about it until reading what you wrote, but I find myself thinking much mor carefully before saying certain things either to, or in the presence of certian people. I never used to care too much about it, now I question whether they might be trusted to hear certain things.....Hummmm. :unsure:

Good job there brother, you have really done your friend a service.

Just really got the felling of his dread. Must be like, after a commie revolt, when no one knows who to trust. The peoples fight turns on itself, and who ever is the most vicious takes control.

Yes, very astute observation.

Extreme opinions are a luxury only for people with their comfort assured. It is easy to call for banning or controlling something if it is something you see no need IN YOUR LIFE for.

When times get uncertain and those who formerly comfortable in their smug existence are forced to take a HARD look at what they NEED to survive in the real world - opinions have a way of becoming a LOT more conservative.Not BUSH conservative, conservative as in "how do I hold on to what I can and conserve what I have left for my children?"

Damn good job.

When I hear people argue politics, both sides usually end up yelling and neither side listens. The best way to handle friends (or people in general) with different views than yours is to just inform them and calmly add support to your cause. It's a matter of attrition, not brute force.

Anyone worth keeping around will figure things out for themselves. Those that don't......

I've been seeing a lot of that regret also.

Still haven't figured out if it'll be a good thing or bad thing.

It's great to sell guns and ammo like they're going out of style, but not because everybody's afraid.

Had a very similar experience just last week. A good friend of mine who's a musician and also a former "hippie" for lack of a better word, was over here and asked me if he could come in and have a look at my guns. At first I was like...oh boy, here we go again...he and I have had some long discussions in the past and he's very much a liberal. Most of those talks were about why I or anyone "needed" a semi automatic, or especially a military type firearm. So we go inside and I let him check out some of my Saigas and AKs, as well as handguns. Then my jaw almost hit the floor when he asked me for my honest opinion on what would be the best choice for him for his very first handgun, and maybe a shotgun, to have around in case he ever needed to defend himself or his family.

I was like... :eek:

Then I proceeded to invite him to come out shooting with us one day and get some hands on experience, along with a good lesson in firearms safety. I'm hoping he takes me up on that offer.

Good job Ruffian72! As my wife calls me,"you're a pig!"or a cave man is what she usually calls me. In the past I would make no effort to engage these"hopeless idiots",as I viewed them. Perhaps now is a different time,and we can bring some of the more reasonable liberals into the fold.

I had a best friend in high school who grew into a flaming liberal. We used to get into drunken debates,but the older I got the less amusing I found our exchanges. Eventually I stopped talking to him all together. I've never been a third party guy,but maybe something will come of all this madness.

Not too left ,not too right.

I've had a hand full of "friends" do the same thing. A couple of weeks ago my brother said my dad said (he would never tell me . . .) he's starting to think he's wrong about me being crazy for being so into guns! He's got a few guns, but they're all pump, revolvers and lever-actions. The first time I pulled out my S-12, he couldn't have cared less. Different story today . . . I guess my dad and other "friends" have had what Jeaux would refer to as an "Epiphany". :haha2:

But I do like how I'm seeing more women taking an interest in firearms. I've had a few of my friends wives recently start asking me about guns, who previously "saw no need for one," in the middle of a party. So, I'll have to second the :eek: all around!

I work with many people who have liberal views; after reading many many posts here, I'm sure my views are more liberal than many of yours. The other day, one of the directors walks up to me and says, "You're the guy with all the guns, right?" I kind of interrupted her and said, "Yup, I'd be more happy to take you to the NRA range and teach you how to shoot any time you want. So far I've taught 6 people and all of them said they had a very good time." She looked really surprised and replied, "Uh, maybe I'll take you up on that."

One of the other directors was talking to me about some golf crap, I replied, "Well, you're into golf, have you tried the other gentleman's sport, shooting?" He said, "Actually, I'd be really interested in trying that!"

Liberals and conservatives both are interested in saving their Constitutional Rights, I think that is easily forgotten, because the media outlets which either side views paints a negative picture of the opposite side. Many people with liberal views, who I have spoken to think this whole Mexico thing is a load of crap and they are pissed off, not as pissed off as us, but still pissed that the govies think they can take away our Rights to benefit another country. Once both sides start to understand that we aren't each others enemies the feds are going to crap their pants.

Liberals are pissed off, because for the last 8 years, the Bush administration shat all over the Constitution; they voted for Obama, who promoted this idea of "change", is now doing the same goddamn thing. The presidents are all working toward the same goals, to secure money and power for extremely rich people, the top 5%. It used to be that conspiracy theorists called this the New World Order, as these things go on it seems less and less conspiratorial.

Teach people about your ways of life, show them that there is not much difference between their points of view and your own.