Non-metallic feed ramp?

I have all I need to make a feed ramp now and I am wondering if I can just make the ramp from a plastic material. Other than wear, I don't see a downside, as the built in feed ramp on the mag is plastic. Some downsides may be solvent resistance, or the ability to be tightened down enough to stay in place, but I am hoping the Locktite will take care of that. I am only assuming the plastic will be easier to cut and shape than cutting it from the pipe nipple as shown in the tutorial. Any thoughts?

I may be wrong but I think that the mags are made of "glass filled nylon" That stuff is super strong and damn near indestructable. I just sold a buttstock made of that stuff and it was like flexable iron. I dont know for sure but I would say you will do ok with it. It is heat/cold/impact/pressure/alien/scratch resistant. It is as easy to shape and mold with wood working tools as standard plastic but keeps its shape more like steel. It will blister but it will not melt and deform under high heat. So it might work. But it might not.

Why ("other than wear" -isn't THAT enough) ?

That is what I am asking, other than wear what is the downside. I am just looking for considerations other than wear as wear is one unknown. Looking at the leading edge of the stock mag you can see wear from cartridges and that is some tough stuff like pistonring8 mentioned. I am thinking in terms of the dark grey PVC to make the ramp out of initially, then look for other materials at work or other supplier if needed. Teflon would probably be ideal. I don't think the feed ramp in an AK gets a lot of abuse as the rounds very nearly make the chamber unaided with my 30 round steel mag. My FAL on the otherhand appears to get a workout in the feedramp area as there has been a definite smoothing to the feedramp after about 1200 rounds. I never checked the Saiga to see how hot the trunion gets in the area of the feed ramp, so that may be a factor. PM2790, I will drill and tap a hole in the trunnion and fix the ramp with a screw and loctite. I guess give it a whirl and see what happens.

That is what I am asking, other than wear what is the downside...I guess give it a whirl and see what happens.

Errr...

It's like something that requires COGNITIVE restructuring.

Example:

Setting: Hiroshima 1945, a Japanese version of the Lucy Show:

Rik-kee-san: "Lu-cee, did you bring da saki home?"

Lu-cee-san: "Oh Rik-kee, they went and dropped a ATOMIC BOMB on downtown. Ethel-san and I had just a terrible time. We were lucky just to get home at all, much less get your silly ole' saki."

Rik-kee-san: "LUC-CEE!!!"

Lucille-Ball.JPG

Kinda like that. I'd stay with metal.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

Honestly, I don't think you'll have any major problems using pvc. Wear is really dependent upon how much contact each cartridge makes with the ramp and at what point (both on the cartridge and the ramp). Of course then there is exactly how often and at what speed it is being fired. Either way, properly planned, I see no reason it shouldn't work. If someone else does, please... by all means: let us all know. I'm perfectly willing to admit I could be wrong.

The only thing I could see may be a problem is heat. Being so close to the chamber unlike the mag, if it gets soft enough to deform it will quit doing what its supposed too, if it gets soft enough to melt you may glue a case in the chamber. :D

Of coure I realize none of us never unload a mag as fast as the trigger is pulled so that shouldn't be a problem.

I am glad to hear someone else has tried the PVC, I started cutting it last night, and I will report back after I shoot up a significant number of rounds (getting to the range at this time of year behind the Cheddar curtain is definitely dependent on the weather). I would think that the initial wear would be to the square shoulder the edge of the PVC would present to the cartridge when it first leaves the mag. If it gets to the point that it would have to be replaced every 1000 rounds then metal would be the better choice. Heating is another variable; I am hoping the trunnion acts as a heat sink to moderate the temperature. I am not sure I would trust any adhesive exclusivly as a way the attach the ramp, even in a trial period. Thanks to all for the replies, even to lollygagger for the feeble attempt to humiliate me for my challenged query.

Edited by glennb

Glad to see that you're going to try it. I know I'm looking forward to the range report. As far as heat goes, if you left a bit of space between the front edge of the barrel and the feed ramp, or used a heat resistant adhesive on that area, you shouldn't have to worry much about it. It also would probably help if you kept the bolt open when you aren't shooting. This helps some of the heat dissipate into the air. That's the reason some machine guns fire from an open-bolt. Another nice thing about plastic is that it's self lubricating. Unless you've got a sharp edge of the cartridge case scraping across the feed ramp on every cycle, it shouldn't wear too quickly. Besides, as you pointed out, it would be cheap and easy (not to mention less work) to replace. Good luck.

lollygagger, wtf?!?! hahah maybe ive had too many biers, but your last post... hahhaha.

anyway, why wouldnt you just use metal? if you have a hack saw and a file you can make one in about 10 minuts, if you take your time. then youd never need to wory about it again.

I agree completely. The iron pipe nipple cost about $1.50, and like you said, in 10 minutes you have a feed ramp that will probably outlast the rest of the rifle.

a piece of a chain slipper might work. it is used to protect the swingarm from the drive chain on dirt bikes and enduro bikes. it does eventually wear but it takes a long time.

anyway, just an idea.