Let's put it like this: I got the pins out with a small hammer and a punch... the block, on the other hand, is not moving :)

You know where the front sight gets attached to the muzzle shroud? Mine is offset. Like the muzzle shroud is pointed a little left and the sight block is pointed a little right... Like the holes inside each weren't manufactured square, they're angled.

It's hard to explain.

Anyone else see this or do I have an issue that may require cutting off the muzzle-shroud from the FSB?

My fsb had the two dimples on either side (at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions), as opposed to being pinned. Once I drilled those (analogous to punching out the pins), I used a press to get the fsb off. Support the fsb on either side (with barrel pointing upward, and press the barrel down and out of the block). Worked like a charm. I know not everyone has a press, but if you know someone that does, or can take it somewhere, I betcha' that will get it off. Also works well for getting the new one on. Good luck...

Is there any way to get the FSB off without cutting the tac-welded shroud on the muzzle? Or do i need to cut that off first?

Tac-welded shroud?

That's part of the FSB.

If you've got the pins out, just knock it off with a 2x4 and a hammer.

They're press fitted, so they're tight.

Edited by nalioth

a trick i used on my sks's is get a gear puller, one of the three armed if you can, grind down the center piece (it's pointy). Get a penny, stick it between the lever press and the muzzle of your barrel (to prevent crown damage) and work it out.

a trick i used on my sks's is get a gear puller, one of the three armed if you can, grind down the center piece (it's pointy). Get a penny, stick it between the lever press and the muzzle of your barrel (to prevent crown damage) and work it out.

-----------------------

Hey I got one of those. Cool. New use for the old junk in my trunk.

Great idea! I may go with a Bulgy FSB someday after all! Do you wrap it with electrical tape or something to keep the hooks engaged and not slipping off behind the FSB?

It keeps falling off the FSB, any suggestions or tricks to keeping it griping?

yeah, there is another tool you can use to put behind the fsb, but i can't remember what it's called. it's a clamp of sorts. basically two pieces of metal with various holes drilled in them, held together by two screws.

It keeps falling off the FSB, any suggestions or tricks to keeping it griping?

yeah, there is another tool you can use to put behind the fsb, but i can't remember what it's called. it's a clamp of sorts. basically two pieces of metal with various holes drilled in them, held together by two screws.

Yah, that would be helpful. Let me know what it's called or at least give me a picture. :)

It helps to let some penetrating oil seep down in there first. I use "Liquid Wrench".

It also helps to heat it up. You don't have to have a torch but those little propane jobs are plenty good enough. Hell you can just hold the damn thing over the grill or stove if you have to...

Thanks Cobra, Yah, i put PB blaster on it for 2 days (sprayed it down in the morning and evening). The pins came out easy, the FSB, not so much. I'm just going to cut a nice line down the bottom with the dremel, and chizzle the line until it cracks, then slip the new FSB on.

I can buy a new FSB for $25. Fuck this worrying about messing the shit up. GRIND IT OFF, buy a new one later if you need it!

I used a 5/8's inch inner diameter split shaft collar to go around the barrel just in back of the FSB. I only tightened one Allen screw all the way so it would not bind when the gear puller was tightened. It fits the 7.62 barrel like a glove at the FSB area.

post-5881-1241818586.gif

I put a 10-mm socket against the barrel with the screw in the center and the arms of the gear puller as stretched and straight as I could get them.

I cranked about one turn and it was tight. I tapped everywhere with a small wrench and tried to tighten the gear puller some more. No movement, so I tapped everywhere again and this time when I really tightened it as hard as I could here came the FSB sliding off of the barrel.

I double-checked everywhere and no damage to barrel.

louielouie

LoL barrel looks good besides the dimple i drilled for the set screw. :)

The entire assembly looks nice, i just need to refinish it in Black :)

Gonna test it all on Weds... we'll see if things go flying down range! LOL :)