Red Dot or Iron Sights? Opinions please...

Been giving some serious thought about upgrading my sights. General opinion here seems to be that the Krebs is the way to go, either that or Dinzag's short sight block to use with the existing rear sight. The issue? Cost. The Krebs is going for $89.95, Dinzag's is $95.

Now if I bite the bullet on a Kobra, Ebay has them going for $295 from East Wave Optics. I would consider a PK-ASV but no one seems to have them in stock. Guess I'm hesitant on the irons because I'm 1/3 of the way to a red dot cost wise.

I would be shooting about equal buckshot and slugs.

I would appreciate any constructive advice on which you would prefer and why... :)

Red Dot... $300. is much better spent elsewhere, like on ammo.

Krebs Combat sights... I freaking :wub: mine.

I like shooting slugs at 50-75yrds for target practice, and I put'em on target all day long with Krebs.

It's a shotgun, (aka a "scattergun"). Effective range = ~100 yards. With those two facts in mind, imo, a red dot is completely unnecessary, (and costs much more as well). My advice is to go with Krebs iron sights. The ghost ring setup ensures very fast target acquisition, just about as fast as you're likely to get using a red dot, (zeroed the Krebs with slugs at 50 yards and then shot skeet with em all yesterday afternoon). They're great.

Buy em now and thank us later. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
It's a shotgun, (aka a "scattergun"). Effective range = ~100 yards. With those two facts in mind, imo, a red dot is completely unnecessary, (and costs much more as well). My advice is to go with Krebs iron sights. The ghost ring setup ensures very fast target acquisition, just about as fast as you're likely to get using a red dot, (zeroed the Krebs with slugs at 50 yards and then shot skeet with em all yesterday afternoon). They're great.

Buy em now and thank us later. :smoke:

I love how these threads go completely night and day. Please post that in the "other" thread about how a laser sight is so useful on the shotty. And I think there was someone else here who posted about using a 4x scope on the shotty. :haha: My cheapie $20 BSA red dot sitting on a "plastic" SGM rail is good enough for me. And if that fails, all I have to do is just point it in the right direction and shoot. BTW I think you meant "Effective range = ~100 FEET" Any further than that, then its time to bring out the rifle.

IMO if you aren't competing in open 3 gun a red dot on your Saiga 12 gauge is just a toy. The krebs sight kit is VERY nice. With the aperture removed from the rear sight acquisition is extremely fast. If "SHTF" you never have to worry about forgetting the reddot on and running the batteries down rendering your 2 or 3 hundred dollar optic nothing more than added weight that will ultimately be left on the ground.

If you have 2 Saiga 12 gauges it would make sense to put Krebs on one and a nice optic on the other. That was initially my plan, but now that I look at the price and think about what my other gun will ultimately be, it makes more sense for it (the one with the folding stock) to have Krebs sights, so I've now decided to just set them both up that way.

As for the Laser: I've been using iron sights from day one and have trained myself to hit stuff while using them. The times I've shot a gun with a laser I found it distracting, and typically they are only usable under certain lighting conditions, at certain distances, and against certain color targets.

Edited by hobbyshooter
Been giving some serious thought about upgrading my sights. General opinion here seems to be that the Krebs is the way to go, either that or Dinzag's short sight block to use with the existing rear sight. The issue? Cost. The Krebs is going for $89.95, Dinzag's is $95.

Now if I bite the bullet on a Kobra, Ebay has them going for $295 from East Wave Optics. I would consider a PK-ASV but no one seems to have them in stock. Guess I'm hesitant on the irons because I'm 1/3 of the way to a red dot cost wise.

I would be shooting about equal buckshot and slugs.

I would appreciate any constructive advice on which you would prefer and why... :)

Less things to go wrong with iron sights

I've got the Krebs and a top rail on one of my S12's.

I don't have anything on the top rail anymore because the Krebs is so easy. It gives a rear circle and the front sight hood is curved to create a second circle and then you have the post to give elevation. It really is awesome. $100 well spent on a Saiga 12 IMO.

I think the Kobra would look cool and serve function if you plan on shooting competition or at night. Otherwise, go with the Krebs!

I used to run a Halo quad rail with a Dinzag front sight block. A standard AK front sight post isn't really the best for a ghost ring, so I stuck a red plastic fishing bead over the front post. Worked OK, but windage adjustments would make the front post uncentered in the protective ears -- not good for a snap sight picture.

Recently I dumped that setup for a new lighter handguard and Krebs front and rear sights. All windage adjustment is achieved by drifting the rear ghost ring. The AR-style front post is always centered between the protective ears of the front sight block. This makes getting a proper sight picture so much easier!

The boat anchor Halo rail is long gone, but I'm keeping the Dinzag FSB in my parts bin because it's a slick piece of hardware.

Old setup:

3030394271_8452960325.jpg

New setup:

3505558553_f9fbbdbc93.jpg

I used to run a Halo quad rail with a Dinzag front sight block. A standard AK front sight post isn't really the best for a ghost ring, so I stuck a red plastic fishing bead over the front post. Worked OK, but windage adjustments would make the front post uncentered in the protective ears -- not good for a snap sight picture.

Recently I dumped that setup for a new lighter handguard and Krebs front and rear sights. All windage adjustment is achieved by drifting the rear ghost ring. The AR-style front post is always centered between the protective ears of the front sight block. This makes getting a proper sight picture so much easier!

The boat anchor Halo rail is long gone, but I'm keeping the Dinzag FSB in my parts bin because it's a slick piece of hardware.

Old setup:

3030394271_8452960325.jpg

New setup:

3505558553_f9fbbdbc93.jpg

Thanks for those photos! That sight picture with the Krebs looks excellent. First time I've seen one depicted like that on a S12. I think that's the way I'm gonna go now...:)

I got a sight mount and Weaver rings for my AK and use it on the Saiga-12. Cheap. A Sportsmans Guide red dot completed the picture and it works well, damn good actually.

Face it, the factory sights on the Saiga stink. Well at least mine did because? it was a 2001 shorty rib that barely qualified as sights period. I added the SAIGA-12.com front hooded sight and the rear notch but the old sight stud sticks up....not good and no I aint gonna cut it off...yet.

So I added the Red Dot and Voila! the darn thing ACTUALLY puts lead where I want it to go!

So whatever you decide to do, it will be better than what you have.

Well, you asked for .02 so here's mine.

I use a red dot because it makes transitioning from one target to another faster, in addition I find that I can reacquire the same target faster with a red dot as opposed to lining up my sights.

I find I'm more accurate while moving and shooting because I don't have to obtain the exact same check weld every time I fire. Put the bright red dot on what you want to hit and pull the trigger.

And that's an edge I want in a gunfight, when you're moving and the target is moving.

Now if your shotgun for fun then no, good set of iron sights are fine.

For what it's worth I've used iron sights exclusively for decades, it's only been the last year that I've gone to red dots.

The PK-AS is a far better optic than a Kobra. I've owned both, and still own the PK-AS. It really is an awesome sight, and the dot/circle reticle is great for a shotgun. However, this thread is making me think about Krebs sights for my next S-12.

Well, you asked for .02 so here's mine.

I use a red dot because it makes transitioning from one target to another faster, in addition I find that I can reacquire the same target faster with a red dot as opposed to lining up my sights.

I find I'm more accurate while moving and shooting because I don't have to obtain the exact same check weld every time I fire. Put the bright red dot on what you want to hit and pull the trigger.

And that's an edge I want in a gunfight, when you're moving and the target is moving.

Now if your shotgun for fun then no, good set of iron sights are fine.

For what it's worth I've used iron sights exclusively for decades, it's only been the last year that I've gone to red dots.

Paladin got a pic of your set up? Are you still 3 gunning I saw that you were about 2 years ago? After my first match I've already got at least $500 in mods to the shotgun and pistol in mind with out a red dot. :eek: Well the threaded barrel for the beretta is also for the suppressor that I have coming.