I am a BIG fan of the FAL! In my opinion it has just the right balance of power, ergonomics, reliability, robustness, serviceability and accuracy! While it certainly a different classification of rifle then the AK it has been used in theaters of war against it. It has been called "The Strong right arm of the Free World" and with good reason, it has been used in over 70 countries with more then 1,000,000 rifles produced. This is an "old school" rifle, with many machining steps, and therefore a prime candidate for collection of someone that admires the craftsmanship that goes into many of these rifles.

This is one of mine. I had it custom built by DSA. I had built two FALs myself and had a good idea of what I wanted one to be ideally. I took all the parts and features that I wanted in the DSA Catalog and made them the same size and scale. I then "assembled" the rifle on the computer and sent the picture to DSA to get a quote on them building me the rifle. Here is the picture I "drew" with PC Paint. I was torn at the point over whether I wanted the Picitinny railed hand guard. After handling one on a 16" barrel, I thought it too heavy for my intended usage. I may now add it in the future. The computer generated picture is show below.

MySA58-B.jpg

They did a damn good job and the rifle looks almost exactly like the picture I sent them! It is basically an OSW in Stainless Steel with a 16" fluted barrel and without the Picitinny railed hand guard. The is a picture of the real rifle.

MyDSASA58.jpg

Made from painless stainless, guaranteed not to rust, bust, or collect dust! :lol:

Plus it makes a nice match when paired with my Remington Marine Magnum in the cruiser! :D

The one feature that the could not provide me was a Israeli Style Forward Assist for the rifle in Stainless Steel (Not shown in this Picture). I had a very talented gunsmith that goes by the name of Mountainman on the FAL-Files make me one and I am confident that my FAL is the only one like that in the world. The Forward Assist is not a normal feature for a StG pattern FAL, like the DSA.

CH-N-Hand2B.jpg

I now have a Leupold Mark 4 CQB Scope on it. The EoTech was just not enough scope and being able to go from 1X to 3X is handy.

I consider it the perfect MBR and I am quite happy with it!

So, show us your FAL!

Below are pics of my DSA STG with bent carry handle. It doesn't really want to come out of its little slot so that I can shove it in a vice, so I'm leaving it as-is. Best gun I ever touched. Some guns impress me, but holy CRAP does this one impress me. I don't have a forward assist, but boy does this thing have every stupid doodad I could ever want. My friends make fun of me for liking FALs so much. They're heavily into AR's (especially the gay H&K ones) and M-14's... because of videogames. Apparently FALs don't get enough videogame use to be cool. They're too busy being the best thing ever I guess.

I held an Israeli DSA like Tritium's at a gun store. They wanted $1,700, even if it was $600 I'd have left it there as I already have this one. But boy was that a great looking gun. With that barrel, I'm guessing they shoot 1MOA. Mine shoots 2MOA with me at the trigger. It also had a really cool bipod, heavy-ass duty.

I hate stainless guns, but whenever somebody says it's for marine use, I guess I drool a little. That'd ruin a pirate's day for sure.

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

Dustcover off for you non-FAL guys:

DSC_0170.jpg

Red specks are primer sealant from new mil surp PPU ammo.

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

butthex.jpg

Ignore my serial number, punks.

DSC_0166.jpg

Edited by Twinsen
I held an Israeli DSA like Tritium's at a gun store. They wanted $1,700, even if it was $600 I'd have left it there as I already have this one.

I stole that match FN for $900.

Wow some nice FALs here.

Tritium, that is Izzy is nice! I always had a weakness for them and meant to get me one. My home built StG is furnished like yours.

Banshee, your FAL is exactly what I would expect from DSA, super nice!

Twinsen, that is a great example of a StG. I have some good news, the handle is supposed to be bent like that, otherwise the handle would not fold flat to the receiver!

Any more?

My DS Arms STG-58

FALonwall.jpg

"Right arm of the Free World"

Mine looks like this but without bipod and it has a purple receiver. It is an inch with folding charging handle.

Edited by Racer 27
Mine looks like this but without bipod and it has a purple receiver. It is an inch with folding charging handle.

There's no way you're getting away with telling us you have a purple FAL without showing pictures. Especially as I have a friend that wants to make a pink one for his wife (self).

Twinsen, I am sorry! I started looking at your carry handle in picture 2 and realized that you are right, it is a little bent. Gun Parts Guy can hook you with a new one!

I tried to get it out with a couple light taps and it didn't want to. Is there a specific direction I should be trying in? I'll just throw it in my vice and lean on it once I get it out.

did you remove the gas tube and unscrew the nut from the receiver? Mine was so tight when I got it I couldn't hardly move the handle. I tweaked the handle with a vice so it would move freely.

I tried to get it out with a couple light taps and it didn't want to. Is there a specific direction I should be trying in? I'll just throw it in my vice and lean on it once I get it out.

did you remove the gas tube and unscrew the nut from the receiver? Mine was so tight when I got it I couldn't hardly move the handle. I tweaked the handle with a vice so it would move freely.

Exactly. It is easier with the StG style half tube, but no big deal either way.

Don't you guys ever use your FAL!?

bro.jpg

...And now, for some reason, I have urgent need for shortening and polishing my (another) FAL. :cryss: Pictured one will remain in "rat"-class. :devil:

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

Dude, what are you, a Somalia pirate? :chris: That is one seriously used FAL! Thanks for sharing! :D

I had 2, but I still got one !!

CustomFAL001.jpg

CustomFAL002.jpg

My custom shorty. The barrel is 16 1/4" at the end of the permanent mounted Vortex. It's probably the only mid-length gas system FAL in existence. It's halfway between the gas system of the original and DSAs short system. It's an Inch pattern rifle. I made the stock from scratch, it doesn't fold, but I'm thinking of changing that, and made the pistol grip. Replaced the wood on the custom shortened Israeli handguards with a solid plastic piece so the VFG could be added.

Nah, I didn't even know there was a nut in there. I just pulled the gas piston out. Then I tried to pull it off, nothing, and then tapped it with a rubber mallet thinking it might be held in by paint or something. I didn't know what to do, so I just left it alone. As if I'm ever going to use that handle.... I'll take a look at it later in the week. Thanks.

...As if I'm ever going to use that handle.... I'll take a look at it later in the week. Thanks.

Glad that you got your bent Carry Handel out, if you don't want to replace it, they do make a spacer to go in there.

Gunfixr, that is a seriously nice Izzy Carbine!

Edited by Azrial

Just a plain old Century Arms L1A1 inch pattern rifle with a few modifications:

post-2898-1243982658_thumb.jpg

post-2898-1243982682_thumb.jpg

Keeping it simple coz I cant's seem to get the stock retaining nut off. Even ordered the special tool and just jacked it up even moreso I left it alone till I can get a folding Para setup.

nyclu3

I've always thought about picking up an FAL but I have a couple concerns with the rifle... how is accuracy and where do y'all buy ammo and mags? I'm leaning towards a G3 for a 308 rifle but I like how pointable FAL's are.

Accuracy isn't match grade, but it's a battle rifle. From what I've seen, they're about on par with the average G3 at least.

Mags are everywhere, metric ones at least. Most kit built guns are using metric magwell receivers, even on Inch guns, simply because the mags are more available. They can be had for under $10 if you shop a little.

I think about the cheapest ammo right now is the Radway Green British ammo. It's plenty good ammo.

I've always thought about picking up an FAL but I have a couple concerns with the rifle... how is accuracy and where do y'all buy ammo and mags? I'm leaning towards a G3 for a 308 rifle but I like how pointable FAL's are.

get both. They fire the same ammo and magazines are cheap, but HK Mags are cheaper.