Firing pin replacement

That's crazy talk.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I know I put more rds than that through mine already. That claim is also not mentioned in the owners manual and it seems that no one else has heard it.

As for the site, they are not contributors so I didn't include the link. It doesn't matter though, they are based in greece and I am not sure if I would even want to try to order from them anyway.

There have been reports of S12 firing pins breaking, but I don't know about a mandatory change out every 1,000 rounds.

However.......we have spare pins in work, so picking up a spare "just in case" would not be a bad idea. I don't have an ETA or a price, but they should be available in about 30 days or so.

Tony

There have been reports of S12 firing pins breaking, but I don't know about a mandatory change out every 1,000 rounds.

However.......we have spare pins in work, so picking up a spare "just in case" would not be a bad idea. I don't have an ETA or a price, but they should be available in about 30 days or so.

Tony

Will be an option for the 2011 list for those who have bought and stored a late version S-12 against the "Send it in arrival day" in the future I hope.

Tony

Is CSS going to stock them for you? I did buy a complete bolt assembly from Tantal, but will still buy several spare Tromix firing pins just in case.

Edited by Crusader
Strip of 16 gauge steel, couple minutes with a file, case harden and temper it in the garage with a torch and kasenite. There's your firing pin.

True, but I want one that says Tromix on it or comes in a bag that says Tromix.

Tony

Is CSS going to stock them for you? I did buy a complete bolt assembly from Tantal, but will still buy several spare Tromix firing pins just in case.

Crusader, this is the real Krusader, lol.

Hey how much did you pay for the complete bolt, and where did you get it? link if you got it.

Thanks

Tony

Hey how much did you pay for the complete bolt, and where did you get it? link if you got it.

Thanks

I don't think that Tantal is a buisness member so I can't post the link. Your best bet is to just wait until Tromix sells their pins. Theirs is likely to be better than that Russian crap anyway. A new bolt assembly would require head space considerations and is more expensive than just buying the firing pin, which is what you really need.

Tony

Thanks

I don't think that Tantal is a business member so I can't post the link. Your best bet is to just wait until Tromix sells their pins. Theirs is likely to be better than that Russian crap anyway. A new bolt assembly would require head space considerations and is more expensive than just buying the firing pin, which is what you really need.

no head spacing in a shotgun. Tantals site has been listed here before. you should be able to google it easy enough. Just googled it and it comes up top of the list. Just type in tantal

Edited by utahhandyman

Crusader, I do believe, IIRC, that that that Greek site, mentioned replacing the firing pin spring every 1000 rounds, not the pin/striker themselves.

Hot damn!

Tony gets me all excited with his talk of Tromix made spare parts & sexy accessories.

Tony, you build it, I'll buy it.

The firing pin going to come with a new spring?

Crusader, I do believe, IIRC, that that that Greek site, mentioned replacing the firing pin spring every 1000 rounds, not the pin/striker themselves.

Hot damn!

Tony gets me all excited with his talk of Tromix made spare parts & sexy accessories.

Hey Chili or anyone, how do you replace the firing pin and spring, is it difficult?

Thanks ahead of time

I'll definitely be getting a couple extra pins from Tromix when they release them.

I don't have the pics, but to get to the firing pin and spring out, you drive out a large pin that holds the rotating bolt head to the main body. It only comes out in one direction (towards the locking lug). Not too hard to do. Then the bolt head is able to pull forward out of the body. The firing pin and spring can come out then.

Be aware that the firing pin mechanism is made up of two separate pins, both having a rectangular end that butt up against each other.

Corbin

I thought that I read that a piece of correctly sized drill shaft could be used in a pinch?

I believe Pipesfa65 used one until he got his replacement from Gunfixr.

Actually I used a nail but I would think a drill rod would work just as well. It just needs some sort of "head" on it to retain the spring. I put over 200 rounds thru my Saiga with that nail in it. I tried the nail until Gunfixr could made me a couple spare pins. I really just wanted to see if the nail would work or not after someone mentioned trying to use one. After 200 rounds the nail showed little, if any, deformation. I now have my gunfixr pins in the gun but I saved that nail. The pins he made me are top notch and way better than the factory ones. I keep an extra in my buttstock cleaning kit now just in case. Anybody who needs strikers cannot go wrong with Gunfixr's pins. His work is excellent and he is a really plesent gentleman to speak with as well.

Edited by pipesfa65
I saw a greek site that recommened that the saiga 12 firing pin should be replaced every 1000 rds. Is this true or are they just trying to sell parts?

Man, if that were true, I'd be severely disappointed.

I don't even have 1K through my S12 yet, but there's been times when I put damn near 1K through other guns, in one session.

I'll definitely be picking up some firing pins when Tony spits some out. I feel I'm at the point where I'm happy with the amount of guns I have (long guns anyway), and want to start picking up spare parts for each of them (preferably, multiples of each part I want, for each gun) to keep them running long after I'm dead.

Anybody who needs strikers should cannot go wrong with Gunfixr's pins. His work is excellent and he is a really plesent gentleman to speak with as well.

Does he stock these as for-sale items, or did he just make some up for you, because you were in a pinch?

Anybody who needs strikers should cannot go wrong with Gunfixr's pins. His work is excellent and he is a really plesent gentleman to speak with as well.

Does he stock these as for-sale items, or did he just make some up for you, because you were in a pinch?

Special order.

Hey Chili or anyone, how do you replace the firing pin and spring, is it difficult?

Thanks ahead of time

Pop one pin out of the bolt, separate the head from the tail, and the striker, pin & spring come right out, very easy. Edited by ChileRelleno

Oh wow, haha. You don't even need a firing pin spring.

Some modern AK variants have firing pin springs based on the idea that it would prevent slam firing in case the pin channel gets badly fouled. That would only hold true if the spring doesn't get fouled too. Mikhail Kalashnikov designed 'em right in the first place. You don't need a spring.

keepthatcrapoff.jpg

Hot damn!

Damn, your right. It does say firing pin spring. I must have read it too fast. I doubt a spring will wear out that fast.

Special order.

Thanks ahead of time

Pop one pin out of the bolt, separate the head from the tail, and the striker, pin & spring come right out, very easy.

Thank you Chili, your great!

Hopefully I will never have to do it.

I wanted to shed some light on the firing pin dilemna from personnel experiences. I broke a firing pin on St patty's day and RAAC was helpful in getting one but took 3 months.

No one else on this forum had any parts at all. Tantal had a new bolt assembly and after recieving it and some e-mails I was able to be satisfied by the order. Gunfxer has my order for firing pins and after an answering machine message, 2 emails and a month's wait I still have no pins. In his defense I did see a post that work is backed up so I will wait.I have read numerous good things about his work. After the last 3 month of phone calls and e-mails I have resorted to stockpiling extra parts for all of my Saiga's

This forum was very helpful in all searches for info.

I wanted to shed some light on the firing pin dilemna from personnel experiences. I broke a firing pin on St patty's day and RAAC was helpful in getting one but took 3 months.

No one else on this forum had any parts at all. Tantal had a new bolt assembly and after recieving it and some e-mails I was able to be satisfied by the order. Gunfxer has my order for firing pins and after an answering machine message, 2 emails and a month's wait I still have no pins. In his defense I did see a post that work is backed up so I will wait.I have read numerous good things about his work. After the last 3 month of phone calls and e-mails I have resorted to stockpiling extra parts for all of my Saiga's

Gunfixr is a busy man these days. It took him about a month to get my pins made. He has had several unforseen events pop up in the past few months and I know he will get them to you as soon as he can. I talked to the man on the phone and he was a stand up fellow. I know how you feel when you say you are fustrated about the lack of parts. It seems there is a market out there for those hard to find parts. That is the downfall of using a platform that is made in a former eastern block nation. I think you hit the nail on the head when you started stockpiling spare parts. Although most parts will interchange with standard AK parts, there are a few that can put your saiga out of action until you can find them. RAA wasnt much help to me and gunfixr was my best option. You will not be disapointed with the quality of his work. If I have learned one thing it is that one should have a few strikers on hand just in case it breaks. The quality of current imports appears to have suffered due to the rush to get as many in country as fast as they can. Another part that I feel would be a bitch to replace is the little dust cover on the bolt carrier. Has anybody found a source for this part yet? I would buy one as a spare because I feel like that it would be the next part to go on my Saiga. I think pretty much all other parts could be fabricated from AK parts.

Gunfixr is a busy man these days. It took him about a month to get my pins made. He has had several unforseen events pop up in the past few months and I know he will get them to you as soon as he can. I talked to the man on the phone and he was a stand up fellow. I know how you feel when you say you are fustrated about the lack of parts. It seems there is a market out there for those hard to find parts. That is the downfall of using a platform that is made in a former eastern block nation. I think you hit the nail on the head when you started stockpiling spare parts. Although most parts will interchange with standard AK parts, there are a few that can put your saiga out of action until you can find them. RAA wasnt much help to me and gunfixr was my best option. You will not be disapointed with the quality of his work. If I have learned one thing it is that one should have a few strikers on hand just in case it breaks. The quality of current imports appears to have suffered due to the rush to get as many in country as fast as they can. Another part that I feel would be a bitch to replace is the little dust cover on the bolt carrier. Has anybody found a source for this part yet? I would buy one as a spare because I feel like that it would be the next part to go on my Saiga. I think pretty much all other parts could be fabricated from AK parts.

Can the firing pin from an ak be made to work in a saiga 12?

Can you use the S12 without the dustcover?

I want a bolt assembly too :)

Another part that I feel would be a bitch to replace is the little dust cover on the bolt carrier. Has anybody found a source for this part yet? I would buy one as a spare because I feel like that it would be the next part to go on my Saiga.
Dust cover on the Bolt Carrier? :rolleyes:

I'm going to suppose that you mean the small dust/cover plate on the Recoil Spring Assembly, which is not sold separately, you need to buy the whole unit.

Tantal at avtomats-in-action, sometimes has them... Another option would be to fabricate one and then tack it on.

Unless, by chance you meant the actual receiver cover?... Tantal has those in stock.

Edited by ChileRelleno

First, before someone gets themselves in trouble, Saigas do have headspace, all guns have headspace. The only difference is where the measurements are taken. The headspace on a rimmed cartridge is taken from the rim seat to the breech face. Shotguns are fairly low pressure, and the headspace is not so critical as in some other guns, but it is important.

As for the firing pins, I make them when they are ordered, I don't have time to make a bunch and keep them. I am looking into getting them made, but haven't really had time to do that either. I do make them slightly different than stock. I delete the flats, although there are flats on the rim at the rear end. This is simply to allow the passage of debris or water that may get inside the bolt head, so that the pin can move freely back and forth. I also found that there is plenty of room around the tip of the pin, and I make them larger, which will mean a stronger tip. This may be the problem. I'm not sure, as I haven't compared the older guns with the newer ones. The slop of the pin in the hole will allow the pin to move around side to side, and may be causing the breaks. This condition will also allow the pin to "bow" when it gets pinched between the rear pin and hammer and the primer.

First, before someone gets themselves in trouble, Saigas do have headspace, all guns have headspace. The only difference is where the measurements are taken. The headspace on a rimmed cartridge is taken from the rim seat to the breech face. Shotguns are fairly low pressure, and the headspace is not so critical as in some other guns, but it is important.

As for the firing pins, I make them when they are ordered, I don't have time to make a bunch and keep them. I am looking into getting them made, but haven't really had time to do that either. I do make them slightly different than stock. I delete the flats, although there are flats on the rim at the rear end. This is simply to allow the passage of debris or water that may get inside the bolt head, so that the pin can move freely back and forth. I also found that there is plenty of room around the tip of the pin, and I make them larger, which will mean a stronger tip. This may be the problem. I'm not sure, as I haven't compared the older guns with the newer ones. The slop of the pin in the hole will allow the pin to move around side to side, and may be causing the breaks. This condition will also allow the pin to "bow" when it gets pinched between the rear pin and hammer and the primer.

Very interesting, Gunfixr. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I'm trying to get a spare complete bolt assembly.

How does one headspace a replacement bolt assembly?

And what is the dimension?

I'm sure others might need to know this too.

Many thanks.