Knoxx Feed Devices

Sorry about the silence. I have midterms this week, so I've been busy studying (damn those priorities :rolleyes: ). The good news is that Friday is the start of my spring break and of course I'm not going anywhere (wait, that's not good news! :angry: ), But I'll have little to do but finish and test my NLFD conversion. I just have to work out a small issue. The rounds aren't sitting at the right angle when the NLFD is inserted in the Saiga, so they aren't feeding 100%. I am taking a little meat off of the bottom of the front front of the mag so that the shells sit at higher and higher angles unti they feed right (I'm matching the angle of feed to that of the 5 rnd mag). I'm doing it in very small incriments cause you can't replace plastic already taken off, and I really don't feel like cutting up another 2 rounder. I will keep you guys posted as much as I can.

1st.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should you have any problem?  it's the factory upper...is the follower causeing problems?

I'm really not sure what the problem is.

Here's what's supposed to happen:

With a factory magazine, the bolt strips the round out of the magazine, and when the round clears the feed lips, it pops strait up, which aligns it with the bolt face and the chamber, unlike with a rifle, which has a feed ramp to angle the round up into the chamber.

Here's what's happening:

Some rounds are pushed forward and when they clear the feed lips, they are never popped up. Instead, they just ride forward and the front face of the shell is jammed into the magazine well just below the chamber. I've come up with an idea as to why this could be - not enough positive upward pressure by the follower of the NLFD. I've thought about shortening the length of the feed lips, to give it more "time" to pop up into the path of the bolt, but I'm reluctant to do this. I'll keep working and experimenting.

1st

Why should you have any problem?  it's the factory upper...is the follower causeing problems?

I've come up with an idea as to why this could be - not enough positive upward pressure by the follower of the NLFD. I've thought about shortening the length of the feed lips, to give it more "time" to pop up into the path of the bolt, but I'm reluctant to do this. I'll keep working and experimenting.

1st

You know that the earlier or first generation S12 mags did have shorter feed lips. Somebody posted a picture of them a few weeks back. The feed lip metal is a bent sheet metal piece that can be snapped off. Maybe you could find someone to trade your new style one for their old style one to test out the shortend feed lip idea.

weigh the pressure exerted on a 5 round mag's follower while pressed into the mag body 1". compare that. is the follower's top surface at the correct angle to the breech with the magazine in place?

1st Ranger, in my conversion I made certain I had a smooth, clear pathway for the rounds to pop-up. My Knoxx is smooth in the pressure exerted upward.

One thing you could try is to open the Knoxx (not sure if you've done this yet, but it is easy) and put an extra rotation in the spring (it looks easy to do). That would put more pressure on the mag follower.

I just took mine out yesterday morning to the range and had a blast with it, lots of folks were interested in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you dropped and/or let the magazine hit the ground yet, say, during a rapid reload? Will it be resilient enough to last? Just looking at it from a competitive point of view. I was looking at their website at the video, and I noticed what appeared to be the shooter gently lowering the magazine to the ground during his reload.

Woohooo, 100th post!

Hey Gents. I still haven't produced a reliable NLFD. Some of the rounds still aren't popping up into the path of the bolt yet. I took it apart completely and rotated the whole follower group to add more tension to the follower, and with just one extra rotation, it is too tight. There is too much upward pressure exerted on the bolt (by the round right below the one stripped), which causes it to close on the chamber sluggishly, or not at all. So I had to back off on the spring tension. I still haven't given up yet, I've come this far, I'll finish the race. For those of you who are curious about what the insides of the drum look like, I'll attach a pic below.

Flogger, if at all possible, could you take some measurements of your cut up two rounder for me. I'm interested in exactly where you cut yours, since my cut wasn't quite right. Could you measure it for me from:

Front: from the bottom of the mag catch to the bottom of the mag

Sides: From the top of the rib to the bottom of the mag (both "front and back")

Back: from the top of the rib to the bottom of the mag.

AH6IP;

As far as dropping it goes, if you take a knee for mag changes, and you dropped it from that height, it will withstand a few droppings, probably quite a few. If you drop it while standing (and we all know that NO ONE should ever change a mag standing), it probably won't withstand too many of those, probably not even one if it was completely filled.

Thanks bro.

Here's that pic:

post-829-1113399919_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1st Ranger

Congrats on your 100th post! Sounds like frankendrum still need a bit of tweeking. Good luck on your future DD. (damned drum) Not trying to be a smartass but what's wrong with changing mags while standing? Is that a competition thing? If not then having to squat to change a mag sounds like havig to sit down to pee.

Hardcorps was right, plus, it gives the your buddies behind you the ablility to press up against your back and cover your sector. With their barrel overtop of your head, you won't accidentally stand up and mask their fire (or, worst case cenario, become another statistic).

Cobra 76 two, not my 100th post, but 100th for this thread!

1st

Edited by 1st Ranger
  • 1 month later...

It looks like the Saiga mag is narrower than the stock knox feed tower, so maybe the the Saiga mag should be widened at it's base into more of a "funnel" shape, perhaps even by heat forming, because maybe the shells are getting hung up where they first start to go into the cut-off Saiga mag, i.e. at the transition between it and the Knox.

Or maybe you have already looked into this possibility. :lolol:

• 1 year later...
Well boys and girls... Looks like the fun's over. Knoxx has discontinued the Sidewinder and try as I might I can't find one of the NLFDs anywhere.

I have one I was going to use on a Rem 870 but never got it. I could part with it.

Send me an email if interested.

Well boys and girls... Looks like the fun's over. Knoxx has discontinued the Sidewinder and try as I might I can't find one of the NLFDs anywhere.

I've got two, was thinking about building a back up competition gun from my 590, it's in my "round tuit" list. Let me know if you are looking to "stock up" and I'll pull the plug on that project (it's flat lined for quite some time!).

I've got two, was thinking about building a back up competition gun from my 590, it's in my "round tuit" list. Let me know if you are looking to "stock up" and I'll pull the plug on that project (it's flat lined for quite some time!).

glad to hear you didn't put a 590 through such a project, my 590, 500, S-12 all have the mavrick 88 w/ knox conversion beat by miles in reliability (feeding espically)

I made a deal to get the one from MAC_TEK. I don't have the funds to do more than 1 at the moment.

Edited by XD45
Here's the rub: only the two screws on top have metal reinforcement where the screws thread into the body. ALL four of the side screws are just screwed into the plastic. What's with this? When I removed the side screws origonally, most of the plastic that the screws were threaded into came out with the screw, so when I put the screws back in, they never really tighten down. Obviously, someone spent a lot of time desgning this thing, so why didn't they add metal reinforcement to all the screws? I just don't get it. I'll definataly epoxy these screws in when I'm done tinkering with it. It just seems like such an obvious weakpoint. Ok, Rant off. Thanks for listining.

1st

Damn, I should have registered earlier, I could have told you why that is, and why Knoxx discontinued the Sidewinder. The quality of their designs are top notch, but their material suppliers was sketchy, at best. Knoxx made the decision to axe the Sidewinder after numerous quality control inconsistencies from outsourced suppliers.

Chicago screws sound like the answer to that problem, if you haven't solved it yet.