Greetings from Manila Comrades...

We've got a gunshow(Discount City everyone. One of the very best things about this country) coming up at probably our most famous mall (SM MegaMall) and I was thinking of buying a nice Rock Island .45 that I could slowly dress up nicely as time and funds allow. I'd like to know if there are any members who own a Rock Island .45. The attraction for me is 1)They're made here. 2)They are relatively inexpensive 3)They are said to be acceptably reliable. 4)Because they are made here there are many skilled people I can hire to competently modify the gun (for very good prices I might add...)

I'd just like to know what you folks think....

-Jah Ras Ta Far I,

-rastamanila

Edited by rastamanila

I've thought about getting a Rock Island 1911.

I think I'd like the Colt Commander Size better

than the full size 1911.

My only complaint is the relatively low capacity

of the 1911's, but other than that I like them.

Greetings from Manila Comrades...

They're made here.

-Jah Ras Ta Far I,

-rastamanila

not quite. Rock Island Armory Guns are made in the Philippines.

........which is where Manila is. :huh:

I didn't notice that the OP was from the Philippines. :blush:My apologies to the OP.

I need to stop assuming that everyone is in the US.

Edited by Banshee
I didn't notice that the OP was from the Philippines. :blush:My apologies to the OP.

...soooo... in his opening line that reads, "Greetings from Manila Comrades...", you thought that Manila was in the US??? :haha:

Welcome to the forums, rastamanila. One of the fellows with whom I work has said that Rock Island produces a quality firearm. They are solid and reliable, but they do have slightly "sloppy" tolerances, but that is what allows them to be a more reliable firing gun.

...soooo... in his opening line that reads, "Greetings from Manila Comrades...", you thought that Manila was in the US??? :haha:

Welcome to the forums, rastamanila. One of the fellows with whom I work has said that Rock Island produces a quality firearm. They are solid and reliable, but they do have slightly "sloppy" tolerances, but that is what allows them to be a more reliable firing gun.

no, I didn't think Manila was in the US. Somehow I missed the Manila part..

Although not as accurate as my Colts and Kimbers, my RIA is my most reliable 1911. It eats any ammo. Like any 1911, they are magazine sensitive, so find some good mags and get one!

post-10946-1247237331_thumb.jpg

i have their 4" version. i like it. i had one problem with it extracting, call ray over at armscor, they fixed it no questions asked, free of charge. it's run flawlessly since. btw, i bought it used and they still fixed it under warranty.

I have used two. Both were accurate and reliable. They have good triggers and are a great value.

The loose tolerances are becuase they are not match guns, but mil-spec.

The extractor issue I had on one also. The gunsmith pulled out the extractor bent it slightly and it is 100% now.

I would buy another one of these over anything to the $700 range. I had a Sprinfield with the worst trigger (about $600) and traded it in because the Rock Island was significantly better and much cheaper.

There was a Manila Town in New Orleans a village of houses on stilts built by my compatriots. I've heard there's a Manila, Arkansas...?

I got an Auto Ordinance 1911 which is made in the U.S. and except for some colt 70 safety feature parts about as true to a WWII 1911 as they come. I think I paid 300 for it last fall. Lots of folks will rag on A.O. because they use to be very iffy quality wise but Kahr owns them now and IMHO and others who know more it is a decent 1911.

Although not as accurate as my Colts and Kimbers, my RIA is my most reliable 1911. It eats any ammo. Like any 1911, they are magazine sensitive, so find some good mags and get one!

post-10946-1247237331_thumb.jpg

i have their 4" version. i like it. i had one problem with it extracting, call ray over at armscor, they fixed it no questions asked, free of charge. it's run flawlessly since. btw, i bought it used and they still fixed it under warranty.

Armscor is my country's dominant armory and ammo manufacturer. Despite being a modest concern they are very price friendly and produce what I wpuld consider very decent entry-level ammo and firearms. Rock Island is the "premium" brand for 1911's. I'd like to note here that the Colt .45 was invented for use against our more troublesome brethren at the turn of the century. "Juramentados" were muslim Moro brethren in Mindanao who would wrap their bodies tightly with cloth to slow bleeding and would hack any and all christians in the vicinity until death (they shaved all body hair prior to this). Their Kris's could slice through Garand barrels. Whilst they would eventually die from bloodloss the tightly wound cloth would retard bloodloss, Thus, the US developed the .45 for instanteneous "stopping power". They needed to drop people on the spot...Hence the 1911...