Just got stuck for jury duty for 3 weeks!

You don't want to get out of it. I put a double child molester away a couple of years ago. He was charged for a third time before the trial, but of course that wasn't disclosed to us at the time. He dated single moms with young girls to get to them. It's a good thing I was there, or he had a very good chance of walking.........you can't imagine how many complete dumb fucks there can be on a jury.........I had to work them over for quite some time.

The next time they call me....I will be right there, taking care of business. "Getting out of it", is the last thing on my mind.

Tony

i've been selected before but got a lucky break. After jumping through hoops to get my ambulance seat covered...I showed up at court the for the trial and the punk plead out. So just hope they plead out and your free.

You don't want to get out of it. I put a double child molester away a couple of years ago. He was charged for a third time before the trial, but of course that wasn't disclosed to us at the time. He dated single moms with young girls to get to them. It's a good thing I was there, or he had a very good chance of walking.........you can't imagine how many complete dumb fucks there can be on a jury.........I had to work them over for quite some time.

The next time they call me....I will be right there, taking care of business. "Getting out of it", is the last thing on my mind.

Tony

+10

EXACTLY. Think about it... on the flip side of the coin and hypothetically speaking.... would you want good people like us to "get out" of duty for your trial for some BS trumped up firearm related charge someday and let some real idiot jagoffs serve as your jury?

Edited by 690gr

Absolutely, serving on a jury is an honour, and one of the few things you are allowed to do these day to make your country better. Think about how many bogus legal cases you have read about that sounded like some poor schmuck got railroaded, and the jury was too dumb to see it. Havent you ever thought, "If i was on that jury, there is no way that i would ever go along with that" Well, now you can make that difference, and know that the right decisions were made. How many people can you see being grabbed from GenPop who know that owning an "assault rifle" doesn't mean you are a violent criminal, or an antigovernment nut? Or who have ever heard of Jury Nullification or have actually read and understood the constitution of the United States? If anything hope, that every other tom dick and harry tries to get out of it, but know that any responsible inteligent patriotic and concientious person should more than glad to be given the opportunity to make such a difference.

If you doubt that one person on a jury of twelve can make a difference, everyone should watch 12 angry men at some point in their life.

I'm 26 and have only been summoned once. There was a county website on the summons, and it said to check that site the night before you were to be at court, to check and see if the case was dropped or you were otherwise no longer needed. I checked it the morning of, and the case had already been settled or something.

A lot of my friends and family, of the same age, have been summoned many times, compared to my one summons. I've since heard that having a "colorful" record/legal background was the reason for this :huh: .

I say go for it. I was slightly excited when I thought I was going to be able to do it.

Not sure of the crime yet. I was called once and spent 3 weeks calling in EVERY NIGHT to see if I had to go in the next morning, never did because it was over Thanksgiving. I dated a girl who was raped, abused and molested by her dad her whole life, along with her sisters, and the court gave him 3 years only! This system is corrupt! They should bring back the hanging trees! That's great others find it an honor, I just want to be left alone and not deal with any more drama in my life. That broke me.

I served as a Juror, in a criminal case, when I was working as an Assistant United States Attorney. The Defense counsel committed malpractice Per Se by failing to voir dire me. He never even asked where I worked. I would never, ever, ever, have let an AUSA serve on my jury if I was the defense counsel. The only thing I could think of was he thought I could grasp the technicalities of his legal defense - good idea in theory, bad idea in practice. I think you all can guess what happened to his client. :killer:

It was actually fun serving on the jury. I would not want a steady diet of it, but was interesting from the perspective of someone who has "picked" juries to then serve as a juror.

Good luck and follow your heart and intellect and you will be fine.

(Personally, I do think it is your civic duty to serve, at least one time.)

WJ

P.S. Good job, Tony!

I'm 44 and I've never been summoned for jury duty. My ex was twice though and got out of it both times by telling the truth. He was the sole support for 4 other people and missing work (we were self employed at the time) would have been a serious hardship. I'd gladly serve if asked.

Have you ever done Jurry duty? If not I think it is a good experience. Besides it is our duty as a citizen to do so. I got one coming up in september, and althoguht I have a lot of important projects to design at work, I am looking forward to serving if I will be picked.

Edited by Deussne

I was booted from a jury pool once during the Voir dire process by a DA for being honest. It also caused the judge to stop what he was reading and peer over his reading glasses.

Sir do you believe in the death penalty ? Yes

Sir what will I need to do to get a conviction in this case? You will need to show me some tangible evidence from a third party or a source like audio or video.

Thank you.

Question for the next perspective jurist. Sir what will I need to do to get a conviction in this case? The same as what that guy just said. That went on for about the next six people. The lesson learned for me was that the conviction was the most important thing for this DA rather than the truth. I also noticed that the attorney for the defendant was feverishly taking notes on his note pad. That's when I noticed the judge peering over his reading glasses. Just remember without smart thinking people like yourself, the system would be anarchy. Never be intimidated just speak up because this is YOUR government.

Yakdung

I have always gone gladly and served. In the 7-8 times called I have ended up on two juries. I was seated but removed from one during the preliminary stuff (?) because the defense lawyer caught that I rolled my eyes as he explained over and over "a person is innocent until proven guilty" He called my name and asked if I had a problem with the concept. I replied that I didn't but I was starting to form an opinion about his client based on the fact that he kept harping the issue.

Who says you can't have fun while serving on a jury? Certainly not me!

In the other trial that I was on, we were sent to deliberate the defendants fate. The other jurors thought for some reason that I'd make a good foreman. I asked the lady to my right to be my "secretary" and since it was almost lunch time I asked her to go ring the little bell (that tells the baliff you've reached a verdict) and order four pizzas and some soft drinks. Keep in mind that we had been in there all of five minutes. Secretary did as asked and the balilff stuck a suprised head in the door and asked if we had a verdict. Secretary said no we just need to order lunch. Baliff got a little mad and started to lecture my secretary and I said "whoa hey my fault, I asked her to get lunch, sorry about that" (ha ha) Found out later that we freaked out everyone in the courtroom including the judge and especially the defendant. Funny thing, I ended up giving the defendant a ride home (1 1/2 drive) after I saw him sitting at the bus stop after the trial. Told him to tell his wife that I was his PO and we were there to get a few things and then he was back off to jail. He didn't think that would be too funny, guy had no sense of humour :rolleyes:

I hope and pray that if I ever end up in front of a jury, it is made up of people who want to be there and do the right thing.

I did give a Jury nullification lecture after we found the verdict when I was the foreman. None had heard of it and I recommended that they do some research and think about it.

edit to add: I own my own business and when I don't work I don't make a dime, jury duty is a sacrifice that I gladly make.

Edited by Psssniper

I got called up and during the screening process I told them a story that I knew would keep me off the panel. I would have loved to serve but I had a wife and two kids to take care of and I was the only one working at the time. I couldn't afford to do it.

I have been called a few times over the years, myself. I havent been selected as of yet, although I came close to sitting on the GRAND jury down here in florida recently. The grand jury is the jury that decides whether or not someone will be charged with capital murder and if they are eligible for the death penalty. I never realised that the court and state arent the ones who put criminals up for 1st degree murder, it is a jury of your peers that does this. Another jury decides if the shithead is guilty or not, the grand jury just decides if you are eligible for the chair or not. I thought that was pretty neat.

I was told on the way out, that my name was next on the randomised list, if someone else had been excused, and I probably woulda been on call for 6 months.

Jury duty is something that you do as a right as an American. Unless it will finacially cripple you (whats up with this 15 bucks a day shit, btw), you really shouldnt try to get out of it. It isnt called "jury service".

RaceGal20 is correct. Grand Juries decide if there is sufficient probable cause to indict someone. Serving as a juror during a trial is serving on what is called a petit jury. Grand Juries hear evidence on various types of criminal offenses.

WJ

I have been called a few times over the years, myself. I havent been selected as of yet, although I came close to sitting on the GRAND jury down here in florida recently. The grand jury is the jury that decides whether or not someone will be charged with capital murder and if they are eligible for the death penalty. I never realised that the court and state arent the ones who put criminals up for 1st degree murder, it is a jury of your peers that does this. Another jury decides if the shithead is guilty or not, the grand jury just decides if you are eligible for the chair or not. I thought that was pretty neat.

I was told on the way out, that my name was next on the randomised list, if someone else had been excused, and I probably woulda been on call for 6 months.

Jury duty is something that you do as a right as an American. Unless it will finacially cripple you (whats up with this 15 bucks a day shit, btw), you really shouldnt try to get out of it. It isnt called "jury service".

That's fine and all but when you are framing houses and work is slow as it is that time spent getting paid what they pay you would have put us out on the streets. And I understand that you were not advocating that, I was just futher commenting on the bind it can put some people in. I wish they would just pick welfare and retired people first.

Edited by superA