Saiga 12 thows soot

Are you shooting right or left handed?

Do you see where the soot is coming from?

I agree with the previous posters about the type of ammo and wearing some sort of eye protection, but I have shot some really crappy ammo through mine and never really had too much of a soot problem.

I'm not sure where the soot is coming from. I do wear eye protection now, but it is kinda a pain to hunt around for some glasses every time I want to to shoot something. I am using Winchester and Federal value pack ammo.

Gun cycles poorly, every other FTE , but I'm not sure how to check the gas ports

Some brakes and muzzle devices increase backblast to the user. Are you using any muzzle device?

Ain't that the truth :eek:

Here's a night shot of me firing my Saiga .223 with the Tromix Shark brake...lol. You can feel the heat from every shot.

post-1293-1249312404.jpg

Edit to add....I'm not sayin that's a bad thing....the brake works really well. And I really like the fireballs! :devil:

I shoot right handed. I do have a Tromix shark brake.

I got this shotgun from Tromix about a year ago. I have had it apart for cleaning, but I have not dissembled any major components. From what I saw. it was very similar to my AK. So I'm wondering, is the "gas puck" located behind the gas plug? what is the function of the gas puck? What parts should I not oil up?

I have an extra gas plug from MD arms, maybe its about time I disassemble the gas system and check everything out.

Mine was spitting out some serious soot last Saturday,..

I have a perforated handgaurd and it kept collecting in the sweaty webbing between my fingers, left hand only, I kept trying to figure out why my hands kept getting so dirty,.. Win AA light Target load (the red low brass ones), wouldn't cycle worth a crap either,..

Yes, the gas puck is behind the gas plug. It fulfills the same role as a piston in an AK. Don't oil anything in the gas block unless you really want to your shit to start smoking. The fact that you've never disassembled (and therefore never cleaned) the gas system is probably the root of your problem. How many rounds do you have through it? And, yes, Gunfixer's gas plug is great, and it should be installed after a thorough cleaning.

By the way, I'm not trying to be a douche, but it seems to me from your posts that you might not be quite cool enough to own a Tromix. Sell it to someone who will take care of it, please. Tony Rumore : Saiga-12s :: Stradivarius : Violins.

Edited by fasdfs

If you think it's a pain in the ass to find safety glasses every time you shoot, you should try shooting after your blinded by burning gunpowder or a misfired bullet! That will be easy!! Dude, just keep your safety glasses with your shooting supplies! they only cost a couple of dollars. How much is an eye transplant?

Nobody is too cool for dorky safety glasses. The alternative sucks. I personally know of 2 people who have suffered eye injuries while shooting, so just be carefull!

Do I sound like someones mom?

I have a Saiga-12, but am thinking of getting rid of it.

The problem is, that whenever I go to shoot it, I end up getting a eye full of soot.

Is there any way to fix this, or is it common on all Saiga-12 shotguns?

I'll take it off your hands for $50 or so. These damn sooty guns are such a pain in the ass. It's a wonder there is a whole forum devoted to them. You should ALWAYS wear shooting glasses and ear protection. It sucks not being able to see or hear if something should happen.

Lets not tear the poor guy up too bad, they are his eyes after all and he can do with them as he sees fit. Shooting glasses are always a good idea though. I'll always wear mine ever since the stock on my M11/9 collapsed during FA fire and drove the rear sight into my right eye. Big ol gouge on the glasses. Eyes are fine though. :smoke:

If its bothering you enough to change something, I'd substitute the shark brake for something without rearward ports.

By the way, I'm not trying to be a douche, but it seems to me from your posts that you might not be quite cool enough to own a Tromix. Sell it to someone who will take care of it, please. Tony Rumore : Saiga-12s :: Stradivarius : Violins.

I'll take it off your hands for $50 or so. These damn sooty guns are such a pain in the ass. It's a wonder there is a whole forum devoted to them.

I'm glad I don't know some of you personally.

I thank the rest of you for the helpful comment that I have received. I am not implying that all Saiga shotguns shoot soot, I merely posted that comment to see if this was a problem isolated to me or if others had had this problem. Using my shotguns for pest control around the house, I usually only have a few seconds to decide whether to grab the old side by side, or to get the saiga, try find some shooting glasses, and hope that the rodent is still standing there. Being I paid substantially more for the saiga I wish I could have more pleasure shooting it. That is why I posted this thread.

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to clean and inspect the gas system. I'll also buy some getter ammo. Thanks again for the help.

I'll take it off your hands for $50 or so. These damn sooty guns are such a pain in the ass. It's a wonder there is a whole forum devoted to them.

I'm glad I don't know some of you personally.

I thank the rest of you for the helpful comment that I have received. I am not implying that all Saiga shotguns shoot soot, I merely posted that comment to see if this was a problem isolated to me or if others had had this problem. Using my shotguns for pest control around the house, I usually only have a few seconds to decide whether to grab the old side by side, or to get the saiga, try find some shooting glasses, and hope that the rodent is still standing there. Being I paid substantially more for the saiga I wish I could have more pleasure shooting it. That is why I posted this thread.

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to clean and inspect the gas system. I'll also buy some getter ammo. Thanks again for the help.

Hey, I'm sorry guy. I didn't mean to come off as such a smart ass. This is a topic that has never, IMHO came up before. Anyway not in the threads that I've read. I do kind of run my AR a little "wet" since I don't shoot it a whole lot, and have had some people complain about the oil blowby on their safety glasses. But that is a whole different system, and you really should not be having these issues with the S-12. I have no idea or clue on the lefties though. You really should wear safety glasses and ear plugs when you shoot though.

If you think it's a pain in the ass to find safety glasses every time you shoot, you should try shooting after your blinded by burning gunpowder or a misfired bullet! That will be easy!! Dude, just keep your safety glasses with your shooting supplies! they only cost a couple of dollars. How much is an eye transplant?

Nobody is too cool for dorky safety glasses. The alternative sucks. I personally know of 2 people who have suffered eye injuries while shooting, so just be carefull!

Do I sound like someones mom?

+1 Not just safety glasses but hearing protectors also. They are always in my range bag ready to go.

If we had known of the long term impact of not wearing eyes and ears in the old days, I wouldn't be half deaf today. I know of no ranges that will let you anywhere near the firing line without both in place. It's too late for Me, but it's a good policy.

Huh? could you speak up a little?