Home conversions and the elusive BHO

Did you restore it or trash it?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. While doing your home conversion, did you put the BHO back in?

• Yep, no problem.
    • Yes, but I caught hell in the process!
    • I wanted to but couldn't manage it.
    • I don't need a BHO.

I just finished my conversion, and like many others, I had difficulty with the BHO. I got it back in and functioning 100% but it was tough. I tried the "floss" method....first with string, then with fishing line. Both broke before I could secure it. I ended up getting it into position with a small pair of needle-nose pliers pressing down on the spring. So how much trouble did you have?

I didn't have ANY issues with it.... laid the spring in, put the pin through, took a small screwdriver and pulled it up the side of the gun, grabbed it with some small needle-nosed pliars, pushed the BHO against the side of he gun, released the spring and TAHDAH!!!!! worked perfectly.

after I take it apart to paint and put it back together, I'm gonna put a bend in the leg of the spring and make it ever easier..... it'll be a piece of cake

I think I got mine back in backwards, with the long spring leg pushing against the BHO and the short leg against the receiver. The long leg was catching against the safety, making it harder to engage the BHO, but I bent it a bit and now it works fine. Unless it gives me a problem I won't be taking it apart to put it back in properly.

I did mine the way Carolina shooters showed on thier video. Except I used a small diameter punch thru the FCG pin

hole, got hold of the spring pulled it down and jiggeled it a bit to get the pin thru (bent the sring leg of course)

then installed the hammer pin. I had never done any work on any firearms before this. I must say that it is so

gratifying to do your own conversion. I just recently had the barrel and reciever coated with ceramic coat in a dark

sniper gray. The gun looks great!! Sorry, I don't have a digital camera for pictures. When I get one I'll put some up.

I did mine the way Carolina shooters showed on thier video. Except I used a small diameter punch thru the FCG pin

hole, got hold of the spring pulled it down and jiggeled it a bit to get the pin thru (bent the sring leg of course)

then installed the hammer pin. I had never done any work on any firearms before this. I must say that it is so

gratifying to do your own conversion. I just recently had the barrel and reciever coated with ceramic coat in a dark

sniper gray. The gun looks great!! Sorry, I don't have a digital camera for pictures. When I get one I'll put some up.

Sounds good, can't wait to see it! Post pics soon.

I'm thinking about taking it off my x39. Every time i try to dump a mag with Barry i accidentaly trigger it and have to send the bolt home...
They're absof**kinglutely useless on the military caliber variants.

60,000,000 Kalashnikovs have been made w/o them.

They're only afflicted on us to gain "importation points" cuz "bolt hold opens" are "features found on sporting guns"

60,000,000 Kalashnikovs have been made w/o them.

They're only afflicted on us to gain "importation points" cuz "bolt hold opens" are "features found on sporting guns"

:unsure: What?

Most military arms have a BHO!

The early Saiga 12's did not have them and this site was one of the pioneers in making them available to retrofit.

They are still listed here. That some folks have problems with them is one thing, I am not one of them, but your statements make no sense to me, or am I missing something here?

Edited by Azrial
I'm thinking about taking it off my x39. Every time i try to dump a mag with Barry i accidentaly trigger it and have to send the bolt home...

Did you try grinding it down so it is smaller? Or you can do what I did and weld a tab on the side and cut it even shorter so it sits flush with the receiver when in bho mode, and only hangs down a little in released mode.

post-19224-1249453923_thumb.jpg

post-19224-1249453935_thumb.jpg

My only problem was pulling it all out and putting it back in 20 times, trying to figure out how to use the retainer plate and safety. I found out you can't without cutting stuff. Nobody ever mentioned that until recently...

Did you try grinding it down so it is smaller? Or you can do what I did and weld a tab on the side and cut it even shorter so it sits flush with the receiver when in bho mode, and only hangs down a little in released mode.

Yeah I've ground it down quite a bit with no luck... I'll get a pic... no maybe i won't... batteries dead...

Really I'm not so sure its worth the effort on a otherwise perfectly functional firearm.

My only problem was pulling it all out and putting it back in 20 times, trying to figure out how to use the retainer plate and safety. I found out you can't without cutting stuff. Nobody ever mentioned that until recently...

Everything has to be modified :smoke: all it takes is a little material off the saftey.

Edited by Nailbomb

Mine was a pain in the arse to get back in my s12. I swear I worked on that little spring for 3 hours! LOL!!

I have a 308 and a 7.62 and did not even try to install them after my conversion. Did not see the need in it. The s12 is hard to get a full magazine attached the bolt closed.

IMHO i think BHO absolutely looseles part. But LRBHO i different talk, mostly needed thing. I have pulled out this detail from the my Saiga-12C.

Yes, if a LRBHO had been installed at factory for American import, we would not need a BHO. But that is all we have and it is better than nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

I put it back in both my s-308 and my s-12. It was hard, but the youtube video helped. Afterwards I decded that it rubbed into my finger too much and removed them. If I ever go somewhere where I absolutely have to have one I will put it back in, but the range around here has no rules about them.

I was thinking of cutting a little bit of the receiver like you did but taking the little tab from the stock BHO, marking where it meets the receiver and then just bending it in a vise. The tab will be a bit smaller and hopefully manageable (I don't have access to a welder).

Edited by Tacticool

The BHO is just part of the fun.

I converted 3 Saiga 12s for myself and one for a member.

I shoot 3Gun with mine, so I'm constantly massaging the favorite one.

However, I looked in my other two and decided that they needed new paint, upgraded welding and replacement of the reused trigger guard with a cut down AK47 trigger guard.

More opportunity to remove and replace the BHO.

Lucky for me I have a tiny spring hook from my days fixing IBM Selectric typewriters. It is even spring loaded, so it captures the BHO spring and puts it in the correct position, first time every time.