Looking at Mosin Nagant, 91/30 vs M44

Am open to other suggestions, price limit is $200.00.

Want a cheap & accurate bolt action for 100-500 yard target & capable of handling most any NA big game animals... Four or two legged.

Must be sturdy, easy to maintain, ammo readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Edited by ChileRelleno

They are great rifles and at the current prices I intend to collect them all if I can.

Yeah, I've heard they're good, if, if you acquire a VG-EX condition.

I took a couple shots on one at the range the other day and liked it.

The question is 91/30 vs M44... Which one for my stated usage?

91/30. Longer barrel, otherwise no real difference in the action, and you won't have to mess with either carrying or removing the sidefolding bayonet from the M44. If you don't mind the extra weight, that is; if you want something a little lighter and less awkward, the M44 is still a decently accurate rifle, but I wouldn't count on it at 500 yards without some decent glass. Unfortunately, your budget is a little shy of Finnish M39 territory. They're great, accurate rifles, but seem to be going for $250-$350 lately.

I have a handful of Mosins, and love them.

I picked up some excellent condition 91's to put in the shop a few months ago. Hell I never even looked at them to see where they were made........(too busy to look at new inventory.....whew). Anyway I had some of the chinese type 53 or 51, (I think), when they came in years ago. That chrome lined bore made those one of the best shootin short barrel surplus rifles in the Nagant line. Unless you are going to keep it stock, you're gonna spend so much on the rifle to restock and scope it, you could just buy a used Savage 110 in a commom caliber.....

• Like 1

From what I've read the M44 are slightly more expansive than the 91/30. If you dont want to mess with they bayo you can look for an M38. Same size as the M44 but without the bayo. Its my understanding that the M38s were issued to troops behind the front lines. Someone who needed a rifle but wasnt expected to be in sent into any real battles so they didnt need the bayo for the hand to hand combat. As far as accuracy the 91/30 has a longer barrel making it more accurate. The M44 has a shorter barrel making it less prone to "flex" when it heats up.

Again this is just from what I've read. Check out Gunboards forums. Those guys can tell you everything and anything you want about the Nagants and pretty much any other milsurp firearm.

Having an M91, 91/30, M38 and M44s I can tell you that they all shoot better than I can with the proper ammo. I tend to take the M44s out more often though since its more of a compact rifle (that and I enjoy the flame they produce). If you're interested in longer distances I would say that the 91/30 would be a better choice for you just based on the longer sight radius.

Another thing to think about with going with the M44, the factory sights are set so you need to shoot with the bayonet extended or else your point of impact will be off. I think there are some vendors out there selling a 91/30 with a can of ammo in your price range.

Longer distance, longer rifle :)

Get the Model 28/76 Marksmanship Rifle, I got one from Empire Arms, it kicks ass! Though you can buy around 5 standard 91/30's for the same price.

http://www.estonianarms.com/2876.htm

Here's a good video set on cleaning up the gun, as a lot of them are covered in cosmoline...

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDngd6LWvzY

I don't think any of our vendors sell Nagants, I've bought a few from Southern Ohio Guns, others I usually pick-up at gun shows.

• 1 month later...

Finally made a decision and plunked down the ducats.

Classic Arms is shipping me out a hand picked Tula hex, Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a 440rnd case of Bulgarian 147grn FMJBT.

As far as I can foretell, besides mounting a scope, I'll not be doing any Bubba gunsmithing to this rifle, if I wanted a sporty deer rifle, I'd bought one.

Edited by ChileRelleno

My 91/30 is great. Its a 43' Ivz. (numbers matching) from Classic. Its Been sanded down and then re-done (aka sporterized and bedded) and then scoped-up. Cost was $89 and just got 100 rounds of ammo for $28 (including the shipping).

Got an old clamp on type bi-pod for it. (looks cool and helps also).

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< See pic on left..

Also seeking a MN 44 variety..

Good job on the purchase and happy shooting.

Whoot love them things I have an assorted collection of Nagant,s and I use a 91/30 for 200 + hunting im not shure if they come with all the tools and what not but ive gotten a few in from surplus buys I would check the firingpin purtrusian only reason I say this is had a discussion about it yesterday so its fresh on my mind and the gun should come with a tool kit with a go no go gauge to check it so you dont peirce the primer and mabie put your eye out ive gotten some in that where way past the no go point and had to adjust them out of the box but have a blast with it :super:

Finally made a decision and plunked down the ducats.

Classic Arms is shipping me out a hand picked Tula hex, Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a 440rnd case of Bulgarian 147grn FMJBT.

As far as I can foretell, besides mounting a scope, I'll not be doing any Bubba gunsmithing to this rifle, if I wanted a sporty deer rifle, I'd bought one.

Great! I'm glad you're not going to bubba it up. Sure they may be plentiful and inexpensive, but it's still a proper military rifle. I've got a 1939 Tula round receiver. It's got a sewer pipe bore that makes cleaning it a real hassle, but it still shoots around 4 MOA with iron sights.

Edited by aresv

DSC_0157.jpg

I shoot $0.25 a round Romanian through my old bolt. It's corrosive, so I don't put less than 100 through it at a time. If I'm just gonna shoot a few rounds, I use the small amount of non-corrosive I keep on hand.

Doing it again, I'd have gone Enfield or 1903A3 to get some peep sights and not need a scope to hit things.

Edited by Twinsen

Good looking rifle you got there Twinsen. If you want peeps, have you considered Mojo peep sights? It replaces the rear sight leaf with an aperture. It won't be up close to your eye like a 1903, but it's better than a plain notch.

T38ClickFront.jpg

I've got a Mojo double peep setup on a Finnish Mosin (there's another aperture on the front sight). Shoots really well.

100_5421.jpg

Twinsen,

how do you prefer to clean up after shooting corrosive?

I live a couple miles from the range, but I still consider it a pain. I take a paper towel, rubber band it on the muzzle, then fill the bore with windex. When it pours out, the paper towel is black. I go home, hot soapy water, hoppes, many patches, then a patch soaked with oil. I use hot soapy water on the bolt as well, dry it out and grease it up.

It probably takes me an entire hour or more.

Oh and AresV, my eyes are really bad, I need great sights. Close up peeps or an optic are pretty much required for me to hit anything. My pistol shooting is terrible.

Edited by Twinsen

I just received this rifle from Classic Arms.

I cannot say enough good about my experience with these folks, a pleasure to talk with on the phone,

they knew what they had in stock and what I wanted, at my request they handpicked the Tula hex and matching numbers.

Rifle/accessories were as advertised, rifle/ammo shipped FAST!

Tula hex, 1934, all matching numbers.

Bore was dark with cosmoline, after initial cleaning it is bright, but not mirror, VG rifling & NOT counter bored.

Bolt has a few very light spots of surface rust, no obvious pits, should be very easy to fix.

Chambers a round very nicely, no rattle, smooth and tight, does not stick - we'll see how it does when warmed up with a few rounds.

Wood has the usual minor dings/dents/scuffs, nothing major & no cracks - will refinish nicely with hand rubbed Tung oil.

Accessories - Bayonet, ammo pouches, sling, oil can, tool pouch/tools, cleaning rod - all in grade A condition.

I'm a happy customer with my 'new to me' MN 91 30.

Pics when I get a chance.

Anyone have a 7.62x54r no-go gage or field gage, I can borrow?

a while back my friends and I recently picked up three 91/30s from classic arms- two hex (mine was a tula, actually ordered it for my dad for his birthday (and a few days on the range before I surrenderred it) and he was very pleased with it) and one non-hex.. All of them had pristine bores.. wood work was a bit shoddy in some places (and part of the tula bolt was from Ishmaz wereas the non tula hex's bolt/mechanism was entirely Tula, only the numbers on the non hex matched) , but the damn things were under 100 bucks and 80 years old.. Again, the bores look to be perfect (which is all I cared about).. One of my friends stuck a bit after shooting (probably 1/15 shots) but after a night messing with it (don't ask me what he did) it came out in great shape the next time.. Someone on this forum had recommended classic arms and I have to say I was really pleased with the three I've seen from them.

Only wierd thing was the two hex's were meant to be from the same storage crate, but the tula hardly had any preservatives on it (whatever that craps called) where as the other hex was covered..

Accuracy was good at 100 yards.. I don't tend to measure MOA's because I generally just screw about with different guns and different targets (and zeroing my AKs red dot was priority that day), but my brother came along (was his third time shooting ever, and first on a real range) and he hit the paper on iron sites at 100 yards every time but one (paper being standard printer paper size).

(I'm not sure if I stayed in guidelines or not since I'm saying I liked classic arms's gun and that might be advertising.. I'll keep watching this post and if someone tells me to edit I will.)

Edit: and my whole post is officially pointless because I didn't read the entire page (sorry :unsure: ).. But I'm glad to hear you went with CA and got a nice gun!

Edited by volkov
  • 2 weeks later...

I had originally wanted to scope my 91/30 but after getting a chance to use the MOJO sights (front and rear peep) I decided to keep it simple. With that long sight base the accuracy with those sights is uncanny. Plus there is the benefit of not having to worry about a scope in the field. If you get a chance give them a try, its takes just a little getting used to but its worth it and you dont have to deal with cheesy scout mounts and cutting the wood to get one mounted about the receiver.

MOJO Sight Picture Mosin

Its the one on the far right.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I have a Mosin newb question:

Online and locally it appears that Mosins with the hex receiver are preferred over the round receiver. Why?

Thanks in advance.

Wish I'd bought one from JG back when you could get one there for 80 bucks.

Online and locally it appears that Mosins with the hex receiver are preferred over the round receiver. Why?

They changed over manufacturing from hex to round in the early 1930's. So, the hex receiver ones are older and slightly less common. Round receivers made during the war years can sometimes be really rough.

M44's with hex receivers are super rare and collectible. 91/30's are common with both kinds of receiver but as with all things, people will have a preference for one kind or the other.

My Mosin pile:

1. 1939 Tula M91/30 (round receiver). Mismatched serials, dark bore, but it shoots OK.

2. Late 1945 Izhevsk M44 (round receiver). Shiny excellent bore. Only shoots as well as the 91/30.

3. Finnish M/39 with 1942-dated "B" barrel (made by FN in Belgium), Sako bolt, on undated 1891-1895 Chatellerualt receiver. Nice figuring in the stock. Shoots pretty darn good.

4. Finnish M/39 with 1942-dated VKT barrel, Westinghouse/Sestroretsk bolt, on undated 1891-1985 Chatellerault receiver. Boring stock. Freaking tackdriver. Currently wearing Mojo peep sights.

• Like 1

They changed over manufacturing from hex to round in the early 1930's. So, the hex receiver ones are older and slightly less common. Round receivers made during the war years can sometimes be really rough.

M44's with hex receivers are super rare and collectible. 91/30's are common with both kinds of receiver but as with all things, people will have a preference for one kind or the other.

My Mosin pile:

1. 1939 Tula M91/30 (round receiver). Mismatched serials, dark bore, but it shoots OK.

2. Late 1945 Izhevsk M44 (round receiver). Shiny excellent bore. Only shoots as well as the 91/30.

3. Finnish M/39 with 1942-dated "B" barrel (made by FN in Belgium), Sako bolt, on undated 1891-1895 Chatellerualt receiver. Nice figuring in the stock. Shoots pretty darn good.

4. Finnish M/39 with 1942-dated VKT barrel, Westinghouse/Sestroretsk bolt, on undated 1891-1985 Chatellerault receiver. Boring stock. Freaking tackdriver. Currently wearing Mojo peep sights.

Sounds great. Thanks. Now if only I can convince Wifey-Boo that I need one of those. I'd like to get one while pricings still good. Seems like a great "poor man's deer rifle".

• 2 weeks later...

I just received this rifle from Classic Arms.

I cannot say enough good about my experience with these folks, a pleasure to talk with on the phone,

they knew what they had in stock and what I wanted, at my request they handpicked the Tula hex and matching numbers.

Rifle/accessories were as advertised, rifle/ammo shipped FAST!

Tula hex, 1934, all matching numbers.

Bore was dark with cosmoline, after initial cleaning it is bright, but not mirror, VG rifling & NOT counter bored.

Bolt has a few very light spots of surface rust, no obvious pits, should be very easy to fix.

Chambers a round very nicely, no rattle, smooth and tight, does not stick - we'll see how it does when warmed up with a few rounds.

Wood has the usual minor dings/dents/scuffs, nothing major & no cracks - will refinish nicely with hand rubbed Tung oil.

Accessories - Bayonet, ammo pouches, sling, oil can, tool pouch/tools, cleaning rod - all in grade A condition.

I'm a happy customer with my 'new to me' MN 91 30.

Pics when I get a chance.

Took'er to the range today!

Started at 25 yards, she shot approx 5-6" high, point of aim on a 8" round target was front sight pin on bottom of target and was hitting slightly left & high of center, in 2" group (3 shot groups).

Posted 12" round targets at 100 yards, two targets one above the other with edges touching. Point of aim was front sight pin on bottom edge of lower target, impacts were in lower half of upper target, 3-4" group.

I used a handy black coffee stirrer (that fit nicely over the FSP) to add 3/16" to the front sight pin, posted a single 12" target at 100yrds, POA was bullseye, shots were now impacting 2" low, trimmed a 16th and was then on target with 3-4" group.

Shot 80 rnds total, managed a couple 2" groups at 100 yards.

She is a keeper :up:

• 4 weeks later...

Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62X54R - $85.99 on sale

Midwest Gun Exchange, 3415 Grape Road, Mishawaka, Indiana, 46545

www.midwestgunexchange.com

Midwest Gun and Range, 128 Rush Court Elkhart, IN 46516

www.midwestgunandrange.com

Bought my new Stag 2 AR 15 there and I saw a couple other creates of Mosin bolt action rifles for $99 and $129 not sure of caliber.....