So, just two minutes ago my lady calls me telling me how her good friend has to give up their English Mastiff due to a new landlord. She will be moving in 2 to 6 months but a rescue org. has a no return policy, so they loose the dog forever......UNLESS... yeah.... I agree to foster the dog for her for up to possibly 6 months!!!

I love dogs but I already have two. I know jack about Mastiffs, so I have this vision of a giant dog running down the street with it's leash pulled tight and me on the other end flapping in the wind!! So, do I even want to get involved in a GIANT dog deal like this? Any experience with these dogs?

No experience with mastifs but if it's anything like the lab I got a week ago(9 months old and 80lbs.) say NO! My goofy dog chews on everything in sight including a pair of $100 snake proof boots and an electrical cord that was pluged in, that ought to teach her.LoL. I hope she pays off during hunting season.

A buddy has one.

Were I not a huge Boxer fan, I'd have one of those drooling mosters in a heartbeat!

His is so damned laid back for such a huge dog.

If it's a big one you could probably claim it as a dependent on your taxes! :lolol:

Edited by Will

I have American Stafordshire's. Buddy has a Bull Massie. I guess about 160lbs? FOOD, FOOD, FOOD!!!!!!! Give up your couch! NO electronic's, Drool will wipe them out. They need 10 acre's to crap in.

But a finer friend you will never have, If it's a calm one! They can be really smart, and clumbsy as a drunk! They can lovingly squash adult human's by accident.

You aint seen nuthin, till you see one drink from the toilet! LOOL!!! The Titanic wasnt as terrifying! And a river led from the bathroom to the kitchen afterward's! WAY FUNNY!

I like em, but cant keep one. Shame...

While I don't have a mastif, I do have a big dog. I can tell you it'll be fun! You can wrestle with big dogs, take them in the woods and run them around... The possibilities are endless:)

You mention you already have two dogs, I'm sure it will be a little cramped adding a third dog. Have fun, at least it's only temporary right? Bid dogs are super fun, don't get too attached though!

Sly... I hear you on the toilet water trail! Even the water bowl! He burrows his whole face on the water then either throws his head around or else walks off with water (not dripping) POURING off of him. Stupid dog! Okay... Besides that trait, big dogs rock.

I have a picture of of him in my gallery if you want to see!

Edited by Tacti'cool'Wife

We have a 14 month old English mastiff, and he is the best purchase I've ever made (to include my Saigas). I deploy constantly (out now), and my wife wanted to enhance our home security. "Gunner" is a loving and gentle family member. He is great around our children and worships the ground I walk on. He is playful and even-tempered. The drool is an issue (as are the food bills), but he carries his drool towel around with him and waits patiently to be wiped after eating/drinking. Mastiffs do NOT require much exercise, are homebodies and will thrive in apartment settings.

If he were half as intimidating to strangers as he is now he would still be a great family member. And on the subject of intimidation, his presence in our home has dramatically reduced the number of visits we receive from Jehovah's Witnesses, other evangelists, salesman, electric meter readers, census takers, etc. A 200 lb. dog growling quietly but deeply through a screen door makes most people remember other appointments elsewhere. I had to post our phone number on the "Beware of Dog" sign on our front porch so visitors can call ahead from the safety of their vehicles. He voluntarily stays in our yard and is protective of anything and anyone we allow inside his perimeter.

I know I'm gushing, but anyone who has awakened to the roar of a mastiff in the middle of the night as they reach for their S-12 to start sweeping the house will know exactly what I'm am talking about (last time it was someone turning around in our driveway at 1 a.m. - but oh well). That bark, especially in the wee hours, is hard wired into our brains from the days when a dog and a sharp stick were the only defense we had against saber-tooth tigers and cave bears. Take this giant into your home and heart, and I guarantee you will hesitate to give him back!

Mastiff Info Here!

Regards,

Sapper

Mastiffs are great dogs! My neighbor had a huge Neapolitan Mastiff. That gentle giant used to come over in my yard and intimidate the hell out of my Rottweiler...lol. He was a big baby though.

While I don't have a mastif, I do have a big dog. I can tell you it'll be fun! You can wrestle with big dogs, take them in the woods and run them around... The possibilities are endless:)

You mention you already have two dogs, I'm sure it will be a little cramped adding a third dog. Have fun, at least it's only temporary right? Bid dogs are super fun, don't get too attached though!

Sly... I hear you on the toilet water trail! Even the water bowl! He burrows his whole face on the water then either throws his head around or else walks off with water (not dripping) POURING off of him. Stupid dog! Okay... Besides that trait, big dogs rock.

I have a picture of of him in my gallery if you want to see!

LOL! That sounds just like my Max! He drinks like a camel. Sticks his whole snout down in there and makes all sorts of racket....then after doing that for a few minutes he walks away with water gushing out all over the place. When I take him down to the pond or creek, he just wades out into into it til his face is in the water and drinks like crazy. It's funny to watch...lol.

Here he is doing that....you can see the ripples all around from his voracious chugging....:lolol:

post-1293-12532026286973_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1253202661415_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12532026901232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Tacti'cool'Wife! I've always loved big dogs and this one is truly awesome. He's laying by my feet now....friggin follows me everywhere....lol.

Here's a link to the Neo page at AKC...

http://www.akc.org/breeds/neapolitan_mastiff/index.cfm

RobRez, I had a couple of co-workers down in Cody, WY that kept about a half-dozen mastiffs they rescued. I'll try to find their contact info if you want advice, etc. They might be an alternative to your friend losing this one if no one can keep it. They didn't seem to be put off by mastiffs with "issues" even. I never went to visit them without a sidearm.

Funniest experience with them was watching their reaction after we heard thunder one day while at work. They both stopped what they were doing, looked at each other wide-eyed, muttered one of the dog's names, and then the husband went running for the car.

Evidently one of their mastiffs always lost his mind at the sound of thunder. They habitually left the sliding glass door unlocked, and this dog knew to pull it open and go run around in circles in the horse pasture out back (I guess you don't really need to lock your doors when you have a half-dozen mastiffs @ home). For whatever reason, they had latched that door and forgotten to unlatch it before coming to work... The wife was explaining all this to us after the husband's panicked departure. He returned to report that when the dog found the sliding glass door was locked, he tore the handle off of it, then proceeded to eat his way through the adjoining doorjam, sheetrock, and stud-wall in his frenzy to get outside. By the time the guy got home, it had already torn down the wall next to the door, the thunder had stopped, and the dog was finishing up his last lap around the pasture.