I'm sure everyone has gone to a gun show hoping to find a really good deal on something - a hard to find item, a great price on something you want, etc.

I went to a gun show today looking for several items, a Taurus Judge, some magazines for my various guns and a AR-15 Carry Handle.

No luck on the mags but I did get a great deal on a Judge. Then I hit the jackpot when I stumbled across this:

CarryHandle.jpg

BEFORE you all think I got the deal of a life time I should mention that this handle is plastic.

Now most of you are scratching you heads and thinking "what kind of dork thinks a $3 plastic AR carry handle is a jackpot"

The answer is "ME"

I am about to put a great deal of time and effort into turning an S-12 into a Bull Pup. I want it to look and function like the gun was designed to be a bull pup.

Part of my concept includes mounting an AR-15 Carry Handle to the receiver. I know, most of you would see that as blasphemous but I don't always apply conventional wisdom to my projects.

I planned on buying a real AR-15 handle but didn't want to spend 50+ dollars on one until I knew I could make it work. I was hoping to find a super cheap used or damaged unit that I could tinker with.

Then I stumbled across a plastic one on an airsoft sellers table and realized that it was exactly what I needed. I will be able to easily modify it in my own shop and if I screw it up or if it doesn't work I will have only lost $3.

That is why I consider it to be my new "jackpot" :)

If you have a Gun Show Jack Pot Story please post it below.

If you want to beat me up for wanting to put an AR-15 carry handle on my Bull Pup please hold off until you at least see it :)

Thanks

• Like 1

Good plastic or Chinese plastic?

Either way post pics because I picture this in my head and it makes me puke.

PS:

Predicted flow of this topic:

1. Pics

2. Pics

3. Its shit

4. Super shit

5. Boba threatens to leave

6. Massive flame war

7. Fight club

8. ...

9. PROFIT!!!

Well here's a snapshot of what it may look sorta like.....After thinking about it again....(this was posted awhile ago after "drinkin and thinkin" on it).... my updated attitude on my own design is telling me to scrap the idea...especially now.... but congrats anyway :google:

http://forum.saiga-1...12&fromsearch=1

OH....please excuse the clutter.

Thanks for the images.

I read the thread and your premise was to keep it as an optional and interchangeable item.

In my concept it will be a permanent part.

I haven't purchased the S-12 yet, nor have I received my bull pup kit, but I'm working on a digital mock up of my concept.

It won't be 100% representative since it will be based on an image of an AK bull pup, but it should give people a better idea of what I plan to do.

Well here's a snapshot of what it may look sorta like.....After thinking about it again....(this was posted awhile ago after "drinkin and thinkin" on it).... my updated attitude on my own design is telling me to scrap the idea...especially now.... but congrats anyway :google:

http://forum.saiga-1...12&fromsearch=1

OH....please excuse the clutter.

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

I just scored (for my AKS-12 conversion) an AK gas tube for the retainers, rear sight block & leaf, longer PG bolt (mine seemed too short), 10rd 2nd gen AGP, AK bayonet with all the trimmings (Russian red), a crap-load of ammo & a Polish P-64 that is amazingly accurate for its size (6.3" L x 4.6" H x 1" thick)! Tighter groups than my G-17 :super: !!

I lost track of how much I spent, but it was a JACKPOT that I found everything that I wanted.

They had a Romanian PSL for $750.00...

Someone got a great jackpot! But I couldn't afford all my stuff AND the PSL. so oh well.

Next time.

post-19652-12534959837978_thumb.jpg

post-19652-12534959432606_thumb.jpg

I lost track of how much I spent, but it was a JACKPOT that I found everything that I wanted.....

I have been lucky in the past but not that lucky.

In my bull pup concept I will have 2 dovetail grooves machined into the top of the rear trunnion for the front of the handle. However, the back will be permanently attached to the cover.

When I need to field strip my rifle I will loosen the front clamp which will allow me to remove the cover in a conventional way.

Here is a quick digital mock up of the handle. It may not be perfectly to scale but this should help illustrate my concept:

post-19535-12535044910521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Boba,

I'm planning on selling Azrial and Superhawk at the gunshow next week to the highest bidder, so whatever I end up with will be the ultimate jackpot..FREE :super: I'll let you know what I end up with. :lolol: That is assuming that they are both clean one owners.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

Boba,

I'm planning on selling Azrial and Superhawk at the gunshow next week to the highest bidder, so whatever I end up with will be the ultimate jackpot..FREE :super: I'll let you know what I end up with. :lolol: That is assuming that they are both clean one owners.

Shiiiiiiit.. with merchandise like that.. I wouldn't plan on making much. :lol: You should consider yourself lucky if you're able to recover what it took in gas money to get em there!

Boba,

The carry handle sight is interesting and might just work if you could also use an AR front sight mounted to the front gas block. Could be interesting to see that digital mockup. I'm trying to visualize it in my head, but there is soooo much empty space that the idea just keeps bouncing around. I think that a barrel mounted one like the Krebs would be too short, which sucks as I really like those sights.

...Here is a quick digital mock up of the handle. It may not be perfectly to scale but this should help illustrate my concept:

post-19535-12535044910521_thumb.jpg

So the second ejection port spiting hot brass into your right eye is part of your plan! Looks interesting.... 021.gif

Boba, I'm planning on selling Azrial and Superhawk at the gunshow next week to the highest bidder, so whatever I end up with will be the ultimate jackpot..FREE 027.gif I'll let you know what I end up with. 021.gif That is assuming that they are both clean one owners.

Ha, listen to the young pup talking trash about the big dogs! 021.gif

I may be at the show on both days, Saturday and Sunday, I may be going in on a table to get rid of some of my extra gun stuff. If anyone is planning on Saturday, let me know! However it looks like most people are all for Sunday!

Nice job on the digital mock up Boba. Looks good for a bull pup. I wish I had a good story to tell about awesome deals I have found at gun shows, but the last few times I have been they had nothing but the overpriced stuff they all ways have. Maybe the next little one will have some thing decent. The last good deal I had was years ago when I picked up a 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $80. But back then that was normal. Come to think of it I also got an SKS for $80 too, and my Mosin for $60. Ahh the good ol days.

The last show I went to,... right before I left, there was this old guy holding an AK underfolder on a strap,.. he said it was Russian, but it looked bulgarian, stamped receiver, super nice matt gray finish and awesome wood, flip up grenade sights, looked perfect.. I asked how much,.. $300,... I have never seen a nicer one at a show,.. I went to the other end of the building and when I came back, he was gone,... sniff,..

Good luck figuring out the sights. The groza has both front and rear sights on the handle, but that gives a ridiculously short sight radius.

I'm going to use a modified Krebs on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*shrug* It might work, it might not.. frankly I don't care. I don't like bullpup shotguns.

That said, good luck on your project Boba. I'll be more interested to see how it's coming along after you've bought the S-12 and at least have something to start working on. :lol:

I'm a patient guy. I like to finish one project before I start another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote name='thehopping1' date='21 September 2009 - 04:58 AM' timestamp='1253523413' post='414004']

.... The last good deal I had was years ago when I picked up a 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $80. But back then that was normal. Come to think of it I also got an SKS for $80 too, and my Mosin for $60. Ahh the good ol days.

RIP "the good ol days" :(

Boba keep in mind that the new cheek rest is the plastic covering the receiver cover. Your handle will have to be moved forward a couple inches.

I'm going to mill a slot in the cheek rest

bull pups are ugly as shit,.. and especially a saiga bull pup with an AR handle, shit I hate all bull pups so i might be partial, there just un natural looking something you would find on Star trek.

Well, I'm not going to enter it in the Miss Shotgun USA Pageant so I should be ok

• Like 1

Boba keep in mind that the new cheek rest is the plastic covering the receiver cover. Your handle will have to be moved forward a couple inches.

I'm going to mill a slot in the cheek rest

I think Superhawk is pointing out that the handle might be in the way or might be a little too close to your face when shooting once you get a proper cheek weld. Once you get it mocked up you will be able to decide if that is the case, though.

Edited by bigj480

At the last Syracuse, NY gunshow... I wasnt really looking to buy much... I got my 4 lower parts kits... and of course I had to keep looking around... one table had a Saiga 308 wooden stock in excellent condition...laying on the table... I picked it up... looked at it... no price tag... I asked the guy how much... " Twenty bucks." was his reply... I couldnt get the $20.00 bill out of my pocket fast enough!!! :up:

At the one before that I found a vendor with the yellow blister packs of the 7.62 X 39 grenade blanks... a buck a pack... They didnt take credit cards or I would have bought them all... I only had 13 bucks cash... so thats all I got... never saw them again...at any other shows... I SHOULD have asked my buddy to front me the cash... I would have had an ammo can full! Ah well...

:smoke: