How's life going guys?

A query for you. Should I spend my $350 converting my S-12, or to buy a brand new Saiga 7.62x39 with shipping included?

And no talk of doing both :lolol: ; funds are limited, but conversion would come shortly after for both rifles, provided I buy the 7.62x39. I guess what I'm asking is if the deal is sweet enough to jump on, or whether it's just a shooting star to be wished upon :rolleyes:

Any input would be appreciated, and thanks for your time!

If I were you, I'd buy the 7.62x39, (more especially if the rifle in question has magwell dimples). $350 shipped sounds like a good deal to me. You can always buy conversion parts later.. and they're more stable in price.

Hm, I've heard all 2009 Saiga are now being made "dimpled". Any identifying model numbers that show it's dimpled?

Either that, or I'll have to call up and have them tell me it's dimpled regardless of whether it is or not, lol. Ah the moral pressures of sales.

The 7.62x39's were allegedly all going to be dimpled on latest shipments but so far thats not the case. There are definitely many more dimpled ones available now though so it shouldnt be too big a deal if that makes a difference to you.

The choice seems to be whether you feel like the price or availability of the actual gun(s) will be scarce or begin to rise in price again in the short term future. It seems to me that Obama & the Dem's have quite a lot of other stuff distracting them at least until early 2010. Another point is that there are ever increasing numbers of new items being introduced for the saigas so waiting to convert will probably mean even more "difficult" choices for later conversions :-)

Cheers,

HarvKY

The 7.62x39's were allegedly all going to be dimpled on latest shipments but so far thats not the case. There are definitely many more dimpled ones available now though so it shouldnt be too big a deal if that makes a difference to you.

The choice seems to be whether you feel like the price or availability of the actual gun(s) will be scarce or begin to rise in price again in the short term future. It seems to me that Obama & the Dem's have quite a lot of other stuff distracting them at least until early 2010. Another point is that there are ever increasing numbers of new items being introduced for the saigas so waiting to convert will probably mean even more "difficult" choices for later conversions :-)

Cheers,

HarvKY

My friend's 7.62 came dimpled, as did my 5.56. FWIW, I haven't even SEEN a "slab side" Saiga yet in person.

His is on top, mine on bottom.

BTW, is that price a one off deal, or open to all? My hubby wants his x39 now after shooting my 5.56 and our friend's x 39!

post-20073-1253668175192_thumb.jpg

Edited by bohound

I would go the other way and convert. Gun prices are falling and they will get lower unless there is a change in the political climate. A converted Saiga in 12 guage is a very different and capable AK!

On the other hand, built in Russia or not, a converted 7.62x39 Saiga is just a non-standard AK. I am sure that many will disagree, but that is fine.

Go for the x39, I plan to. But then my S12 Mod is pretty much done. The $350 seems to be the going rate lately at least at Centuary Arms. I've checked the local Pawns and new it's cheaper than a used standard AK. I want to go for the 20" barrel and bullpup it. I'd go .308 but it is twice the price so I'll wait and see how things go next year.

LRoDV,

Mikel

The majority has spoken, and I thank all of you for your opinions guys. Yeah, I've noticed that Prices for conversion parts haven't changed too much, but those pesky rifle prices have been jumping up and down as of late. I've only been able to talk the locals down to the low 400s on their Saigas- last place was trying to sell a 7.62x39 stock Saiga for $550. :rolleyes:

Either way, prices have steadily been going up through the years on the rifles, while I haven't seen much movement on the conversion component prices. Just called up the shop, and they're on backorder, but still accepting new orders- Receivers have been confirmed as dimpled if you're into that kinda thing.

So free shipping at a price of $350 only lasts until September 30th. Anyone is interested as well head to centerfire systems and check it out. The deal's on all their Saiga rifles and a few others for more than decent prices. Have a great one and thanks for all the advice.

Azrial- Thanks for standing out and offering a different point of view!