Best "off the shelf" ammo for saiga .223?

So I purchased and converted a 16" saiga a few weeks ago and have been out to the range twice now. I have a Bushnell trophy dot mounted on this thing (good sight btw) and am on a quest to find out what my new toy likes to eat. So far Ive put some wolf though it, 3-3.5" groups at 100 yards and some American eagle xm193 stuff that did really well at around 1.5 to 2 inch groups. Mind you with a dot sight I am REALLY happy about what I have been getting. Which leads me wondering what other folks have been finding about what their pets like to eat?

Oh and just what is the rifling of this thing? 1:7? 1:9? eh what it it?

I always use Brown Bear, because it's the cheapest, and I only plink with my Saiga. As for rifling, I believe I read somewhere that it was a 1:9 or 1:10 twist.

+1 on the Brown Bear. I can keep them in the 10 ring at 100yds on an SR-1 target with my 16" Saiga. Not one FTF or FTE. I was skeptical myself because the .308 shot like sh%& in my CETME but the 223 impressed me.

I have heard the correct grain weight for our 1 : 9.5" (technicaly 1/10) barrels is about 62 grain/65 grain. I plan to try some 62 grain brown bear. one of the best things about a saiga is it will digest almost any ammo- brass, steel, reloads etc... but best accuracy comes from reaearch and trial and error, not all saigas like the same ammo for accuracy.

I tried about 9 brands and several grain wieghts in both steel case and brass case, inluding 55 gr., 62 gr., 69 MATCH, and 75 gr. All shot very well, but the absolute best grouping ammo was Federal XM-193 55gr ammo.

Your gun may be differant - try a bunch of stuff to find out.

Somewhere, and I can't find it at the moment, but I read that the rifling is 1 in 250mm. They're metric there. That would translate to 1 in 9.8" near enough to 10". 55 gr seems to do very well in my Saiga. I think it can go a bit heavier and as low as around 40 gr bulltes. Remington UMC 55 gr MC do pretty well and also the PMC ammo as well. If you're plinking and making noice it's not that critial. If you are shooting at gophers, prairie dogs, ground hogs, squirrels, etc, then you want to get the better ammunition you can afford and to practice with it.

Keep your rifles bore clean of copper fouling and you'll go far toward getting tight groups.

silver bear/brown bear works best out of the russian animal manufactuers IMO. i was getting 2.5-3MOA witht heir 62gr FMJ. i also like the Golden tiger(56g FMJBT) i just picked up for 25.8 cent per round but than saw silver bear for cheaper :ded:. Theres plenty of good ammo out there it just if you want to throw the money at it.

I've shot 45, 55, 62, and 75 grain out of my IZ114. I think it likes the heavier rounds at 100 if you're worried about groupings. I read somewhere the barrel is a 1 in 9.5 twist. Would that tend to help the lighter rounds become "squirrelly" out there at longer range?

Mine doesn't care what country the ammo was made in, she just wants to get them downrange.

There's a "sale" on Remington UMC 55gr. FMJBT for $7.95 per 20 at Dick's sporting goods stores. Don't know how far out they are, but they're regional.

A "decent" round for a "decent" price- plus it's brass casing.