My lil sister did it and loves it, but finds that she still has to wear Safety glasses alot. She teaches Highschool Science.

I've thought about it but I shoe horses and would always have to wear safties too. I guess at least then you would be able to pick and choose your glasses and they would be MUCH cheaper, lol.

Also I think you would have to pic tween being near or far sighted. In which case you will still need some sort of glasses. Unless you just did one eye far and one eye short. Boy, that could mess with you though.

I've been thinking about it myself. A few of the people I work with have had it done and are all satisfied. I just don't like the idea of taking chances, however remote, that something would go wrong, cuz that will mess up your life for loooong time. I'm still rather young, I have time to make these sorts of decisions and see where technology progresses.

My wife did it 2 years ago and it's been a life changer. She can't imagine ever having worn glasses/contacts for as long as she did before she got it. Her vision is better than mine now where before she could barely see even with glasses!

My sister got it as well, the thing IS, after a few years your (for lack of proper terminology) you eye focus muscles just continue to get weaker and you'll eventually have to either get ANOTHER lasik surgery, OR do what she had to do and start wearing her glasses again.

My brother got it a little while ago and loves it. Said recovery wasn't bad at all would definitely do it again. The only thing he doesn't/didn't like about it is that he says his eyes are way more sensitive to if hes dehydrated now, YMMV tho

Ill probly have it done at the beginning of next year and am definitely looking forward to it.

I only know two people who have had this done. My brother had it done a few years back, and though he was able to pitch his contacts, he still has to wear those magnifier glasses to read small print. A guy I used to be buddies with had it done and all he did was complain about his eyes being dry and itchy after a few months.

I've thought about, as my vision is slowly getting worse, but if all you get is half assed results I can't see the justification for that kind of money being spent...

Edited by Jpanzer

I'm skipping it, RK or any other eye-surgery for my nearsightedness--my understanding is that certain eye surgeries are a DQ for flight-training, and the sooner I can break my cursed dependency on Part 121 carriers for travel the better. (Besides, charter or private, no need to go through all the checkpoint and "check your iron" BS... :D

Edited by Diamondback

I had all the exams and bill is paid just waiting on the zapping. I am very near sighted so the long distance vision

without glasses or contacts will be cool. I am trying to improve my 150 to 200 yard scores. I am hoping

it will help. Right now my AKM out shoots my eyes. :hans: The surgeon sees :money: I see :eyes_droped:

My buddy had it done and now has 20/10 vision, it was a little expensive but he gets free eye exams for life from the eye center he had it done. I'm getting it done myself once I can get over the huge $$ stigma. Regardless, he loves it and wouldn't have it any other way. Not everyone is a canidate for this surgery though, and if the people that are doing say otherwise, go somewhere else.

I would never go near it. I think that when it is successful then it can be great but I also think there are a lot of less than successful outcomes to these procedures that are just as life changing, but in a negative way. If I were to do it I sure wouldn't bargain hunt. I'd find out who did Tiger Wood's surgery and use him.

• 5 weeks later...

Today is the day. Kinda anxious about what seeing without contacts or

glasses will feel like. I will report back (sight willing) tonight.

I think I have a 50 50 chance.. It may be cool or it is going to suck.

:eek::eek::eek:

WhiteTrashRN,

Good luck with your procedure! I'm in NEPA too, and I'm looking to get my eyes done soon. Please let me know how it goes and who did the cutting.

Regards,

Sapper

Although I didn't have Lasik, over the past year or so I have had several eye procedures (cataract operation (both eyes,two weeks apart) with corrective lens implants and six months later one where the first layer of the eye is scrubbed off and had to re-grow. This was a planned sequence of repairs to give me improved vision.

I went from wearing Tri-focals to having my un-corrected vision now be 20-20 and it's still improving.

My eye surgeon (Dr. Manrique) and his staff are THE BEST at surgically correcting eyesight, they have the latest in tools and training and have many patients come to them from professional sports (they are the Houston Texans Lasik and vision provider) from all over the world, lots of professional Baseball players.

I have personally sent them several of my friends who have ALL had perfect outcomes, being a patient I would give them my HIGHEST recommendation.

www.woodlandscustomvision.com

As Eric pointed out, I got it done 2 years ago (it was a Christmas gift ftom him :-) . A few things that stand out were that they had giant T.V's in the wating area where you could watch the operation on the person going before you... I almost walked out because it was so nasty! I went through with it and an glad I did. Although before the procedure, they drop numbing drops into your eyes and on my left eye, I didn't open my eye enough (hate eye drops!), and most of it ran down my cheek, instead of INTO my eye. So when I had the left eye done, I could feel it and it was excruciating! There was a trace amount of numbing drops that made it into my eye, but I could feel when the laser cut open my eye, and the laser zapping away at the cornia. It was like a bad dream, where you wake up in the middle if an operation and can feel everything. The good news is that the pain only lasted as long as the surgery (which in the moment felt like forever), but once it was done, the pain was gone.

The right side was great though, I made sure my eye was WIDE open when they put the drops in and I didn't feel a thing!

I took lots of sleep/pain meds adndliterally came home and slept for 6 hours. Eric had called my parents over that evening, so when I got up I walked downstairs, had NO pain whatsoever and could see crystal clear! Amazing!

Another peice of advice... dont cheap out and get the least expensive package. Get the expensive one! You get what you pay for and you dont want to find a bargain when your talking about your eyesight!! pay more and get the custon lasik, NOT the bargain lasik.

ALSO, the drops they give you afterwards are gross. They make you get wierd colored gunk in your eye all day long, so be aware, because it will gross people out. They also taste bad! Once I put them in my eye, after about 10 seconds you can taste it in your throat! I always had something to drink right after I did the drops because the taste was so bad. It's wierd to think though that the stuff I put in my eye made it's way to my throat!

Edited by Tacti'cool'Wife

Yes +1 exactly. I am finished and all is cool. Vision semi clear today and they said will be perfect tomorrow. Long distance vision, which I never had before with out correction, is great. I am going shooting saturday and see what the difference is. So far I would recommend this to anyone. So far I have had a positive experience. The proceedure looks and sounds scary but if you can put your mind somewhere else for 15 min, you will be fine.

I have a follow up today 2 next week and then 1 a week for 3. If any adjustments need to be made they will do them. Like the TCW's post "DONT CHINCE OUT" If you want a bargan go to PEP Boys for tires not your eyes. All and all I am a happy man today. Just have to take it day to day now. :rolleyes:

3:00 PM Eyes getting very clear now. Went for my folowup appt and everything is healing as expected. They told me that I am only at 75% of distance and clarity for the proceedure. Very Cool.

Edited by whitetrashrn