That Ovcharka would bankrupt me in a week, food wise. :cryss: Cool dog, though. I had a Doberman when I was a kid and he was a great dog, probably one of the top three I've ever owned(aside from hunting dogs). My friend and I used to dress up like the Michelin men and would coax my dog to bite us, for fun. One day my dog had enough and bit my friend to the point where he got really hurt. His mom was a L.A.P.D. officer and threatened to file a law suit against my mom. That, needless to say, ended our fun indefinatly! I also had a Germen shepard that was great too. Now that this thread made a come back hopefully we can get some original info on securing your home. Many thanks to all who posted here! - Waite

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With silent (or simply beeping) alarms you worry about response time. this may be a deterant to some, but not all.   My friend once installed a car alarm in an apartment, wiring door pins to his win

This won't work. He is loud, but fails to get his point across. He is great for car rides & being a social butterfly. He gets along with everyone & every thing.             This is w

YOU NEED A DOG! Yes I am yelling, but it is THAT important! Even a little yappy ankle biter is better than a $1,000 security system! A security camera is second best, at least you can compare the p

Posted Images

I was kinda just scrolling thew this thread havnt read it all, just wanted to commenton the dog comments lol. I would have to say that is my best security, I have a half wolf/husky(maybe i should post a pic of her shes a beuit) i do believe i could never find a better security system. I really think she would kill somone if she got her jaws on their throat. when she barks i look, but shes has that U better get out here before i kill somone bark! The meter and ups man honk when they drive up and wait for me to come outside lmao! She keeps the stray cats and dogs away too. Prolly for their on good cuz id handle that haha. But when it comes to me or my family she is gentle as she you could ever want.

Edited by chevyman097

Any progress on your home security project?

Progress... no. Plans... YES! My defence budget is in my conversion right now. Hide-a-door is in the short term plans. As a side note, it will be 17yrs that I have been with my wife on 12/23/09 so I have to do something to make her feel loved. :dollar: After all, I rather be bugularized 1,000 times than lose her. You know what they say, HAPPY WIFE... HAPPY LIFE! We have three children together and she truly is one of a kind, plus she puts up with all my B.S. Yep, Waite is a lucky, lucky guy.

In addition to what has been written above, let me add that it is very important to never open the door for anyone who is not a family member, period. Don't let them see you. Get an intercom. Have delivery drivers leave the package on the porch. Never open the door to sign anything. Home invasions using stolen delivery trucks are not unheard of.

Also, if you are going to have a guard dog, then you must poison proof it. This is not technically difficult for the dog, but requires significant discipline for the owner.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjöld

there are several things you can do. Having the most lit up house on the block makes it so a criminal would rather break into the house down the street than yours. A 4 camera DVR video system is great in the event that your house does get broken into at least you can see who did it, and makes prosecution that much easier. This one is cheap and easy to use and gives you the option of remote viewing.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5256331&CatId=1925

Another thing you should do is set a "trap". I keep a 20$ bill under a plate of glass in the kitchen that i clean every week. Most people don't realize (thanks to shows like csi) that fingerprints only transfer onto glass or other super smooth surfaces and if those surfaces have a weeks worth of dust on them, it may look like there is a print, but the print didn't transfer its just a pattern where dust had been removed by the finger.

The final and i'd say the best way to secure your house is with an alarm...the problem with alarms, though, is that your window gets broken, a signal is sent to the alarm company who then calls your phone and waits for you to pick up, if you don't pick up the alarm company calls your local 911 and waits in line to tell a dispatcher that there is an alarm at your house. For that you pay a monthly fee. How my alarm is set up, i don't pay a monthly fee. hopefully you'll meet and become friends with an alarm guy and he can do the same for you. Basically the alarm system needs a phone line and uses an old style modem to call the alarm company on their 800 number... you can reprogram the alarm to use your line to call your cell phone. If you get a call from your house that sounds like beeping and static you know you're alarm is going off and can respond accordingly. If you get a manual online you can program the alarm yourself...just call adt or whomever and have them install the alarm then cancel the monitoring service and reprogram.

We have deadbolts along with these big brass eagle things that attach to the door. They are installed with 3 1/2 screws into the studs along with the attachment that goes on the door. It would take ALOT of muscle to get into the house. We also have a security system. As they say, locks are only good for honest people. If somebody wants in, they are going to find a way in. We also keep all the doors locked even when we are home. You have to be very careful nowadays with deadly force. It could come back and bite you. Check with the local authorities, District Attorney about using a dog, gun, etc before you do something you might regret later on.

Chow-Chow. They can actually bite through bone, that's how strong their jaws are. They were bred by the Chinese to be guard/attack dogs for Royalty. They are tempremental and a "one" person dog, with "cat" like qualities. That being said, I had one that was half Collie, and she was the best of both worlds. The absolute smartest dog I've ever known. I didn't "own" her, if anything she owned me. She even had a sense of humor. She lived 18 years, and loved other people publicly, but was a handful and a half if trifled with. One more thing you guys should check out, is your home owners insurance. State Farm told me they could not insure me with a Chow. Thank God the agent phrased her as a Collie. She was smarter, and more loving than most people's kid's that I know.