7.62x25 who shoots it and what do you have?

So here's how it all started. Saturday I took 2 of my buddies to the range, we were there long enough to put 500rds through my Glock 10mm, 250 through my FAL and 250 through the Saiga 12. Everything went great, but I'm not here to give a range report I'm writing to point out how fast $700.00 worth of ammo can be blown through. I reload so I know that's a cheaper option but I would have spent the whole day before reloading so I got lazy and just grabbed some out of my stash (this didn't put a huge dent in said stash but I really shouldn't be dipping into that). My buddies each said thanks a ton at the end of the session and asked when we can go again. Neither one of them own guns, that's why I take them to the range so that they will hopefully get into the sport of shooting. I told them that the ammo was super expensive so I wasn't sure, they generously gave me $50 each and said lets go again after January 1st, I laughed and said "we'll see".

I'm in the process of getting a PSL so that should take care of the expensive rifle shooting. But I really would like a super cheap way to let them shoot pistols. Hence the 7.62x25 round, for a grand total of $110.00 I can grab a case of 1260rds..... That ain't bad.....

Question is, What are the best pistols to shoot this round out of. I don't even own an AR so I won't be purchasing an upper to shoot it. From what I see the average price of the handguns that shoot the 7.62x25 are between $250.00 to $400.00, I'd like to stay in that range, and probably purchase a couple. Russian, Romanian, Yugoslavian, Czech.....the list goes on and on. Is one better than the other or are they all pretty much of the same quality?

I have a CZ-52 that I use as a car gun. It's heavy, feels like you are grabbing on to a 1"x4" (even with aftermarket grips), very accurate, reliable, and only cost me $250.

I like the looks of the T-33 better, but I bought this one FTF and like I said, I keep it under my seat in the car. I'm pretty sure if I ever had to keep someone from car jacking me, the 7.62x25 round would go right through my door and stop the attacker.

I have a CZ-52 that I use as a car gun. It's heavy, feels like you are grabbing on to a 1"x4" (even with aftermarket grips), very accurate, reliable, and only cost me $250.

I like the looks of the T-33 better, but I bought this one FTF and like I said, I keep it under my seat in the car. I'm pretty sure if I ever had to keep someone from car jacking me, the 7.62x25 round would go right through my door and stop the attacker.

Yeah I like the looks of the 33 better also, I'm thinking I might actually get a few different pistols that shoot 7.62x25 just to see which is better (hell, how often can you find a pistol for under $300.00 that isn't a piece of crap?!?!?!).

After reading up on the 7.62x25 and its crazy velocity's, I'm pretty excited to see how much they claim is true. Capable of defeating level 1, 2, and even in some cases level 3 body armor? sheez, I was just looking for a cheap plinking option, now I might have to look into its other options.

Here's some pistols that shoot it.

They usually go for relatively cheap too.

I want to pick a Polish Tokarev Wz-48, it is in that Cal.

F0061.jpg

So is this Russian PPS-43 Semi-Automatic Pistol

ppsh43PISTOL.JPG

Or this little guy:

TASCO 7ET9 / 7ET10 submachine gun (Ukraine)

tasco7et.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_pistol

Do an image search (Google it, then click on images) on the caliber, & research the ones you like that pop up.

Edited by Paulyski

I have a CZ-52, great gun, really good for training yourself to keep your damn hands still, because the trigger pull is around 50-pounds or so :) At the price of the pistol, I can't really complain. The only other problems are the mags are a bit hard to get out and I get some rounds which don't ignite properly, though the rounds are not the fault of the gun.

I wish someone would make a conversion for the Saiga. That would be great.

Cobra76two and one of his buddies was working on an AK conversion to 7.62x25.

Edited by vbrtrmn

Here's some pistols that shoot it.

They usually go for relatively cheap too.

I want to pick a Polish Tokarev Wz-48, it is in that Cal.

F0061.jpg

So is this Russian PPS-43 Semi-Automatic Pistol

ppsh43PISTOL.JPG

Or this little guy:

TASCO 7ET9 / 7ET10 submachine gun (Ukraine)

tasco7et.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_pistol

Do an image search (Google it, then click on images) on the caliber, & research the ones you like that pop up.

I think I'll just keep it to the basic handguns like the TT-33. Man those polish CZ-52s are an ugly breed, but as long as they shoot well.....

When I was a kid, one of my first toy guns was a blue pistol that looked like a CZ-52, and shot yellow bb's. I hate to admit, but that was my primary reason for buying it, LOL!

vbtrmn, I hope to see that kit! No barrel insert probably makes it a little easier than say, a .22lr conversion.

When I was a kid, one of my first toy guns was a blue pistol that looked like a CZ-52, and shot yellow bb's. I hate to admit, but that was my primary reason for buying it, LOL!

vbtrmn, I hope to see that kit! No barrel insert probably makes it a little easier than say, a .22lr conversion.

No shit, I had one of those too. As for x25, I'll stick with my sig. But I've shot some x25'x that were screamers. Now wouldn't it be cool to see an x25 hi point carbine...

I have two CZ-52 pistols and a Chinese Type 54 TT-33 clone. If you purchase a CZ-52, it's a good idea to buy an extra firing pin or two. They are very susceptible to firing pin breakage, especially if you dry fire without a dummy round. Fortunately the mag locks the slide open after the last shot, and the safety also acts as a decocker, so it's pretty easy to avoid accidental dry fire.

I am also working on a custom Glock in that caliber. I already have one semi-functional magazine. It's intended to be a drop-in conversion for a G20. To make the mag I basically chopped up a G21 mag and a G17 mag, by removing the feed lips and rear of the G21 mag, and the front of the G17 mag, and using the G21 mag as a sleeve. As it is it will hold and feed 7-8 rounds before binding up, but it needs some more tweaking to hold its full capacity (17 rounds). Right now I'm using a normal 9mm follower, I need to track down a 10mm follower and trim it to size... One I have a few functional mags, it'll be time to get the custom barrel made and buy a G20. Right now I'm testing the mag in a G21, so when feeding the cartridges they just drop down the barrel and out.

It's one of my favorite pistol cartridges, and I'd like to see it in a modern pistol. Sort of an off-the-wall idea, but if it could be done it'd be a load of fun.

Funny thing, yesterday I discovered that the TT pistol was actually the DD44 Dostovei from Goldeneye for N64, so now I'm all hot to trot on buying one. ^_^ That was my favorite gun in the game, although I think at the time I just liked the sound it made. Truth be told, I was about to start a new thread asking about them when I saw this thread.

Funny thing, yesterday I discovered that the TT pistol was actually the DD44 Dostovei from Goldeneye for N64, so now I'm all hot to trot on buying one. ^_^ That was my favorite gun in the game, although I think at the time I just liked the sound it made. Truth be told, I was about to start a new thread asking about them when I saw this thread.

I was really impressed by the ballistics of this round.

OK, I'm at the cross roads as to which pistol to get. My choices have come down to a Romanian Tokarev TT-33 and a Yugo M57 Tokarev TT-33. I know I get one more round out of the Yugo but that's not really a deal breaker for me. Reliability is key to me (if there's even a difference between the two). Thanks a ton for your two cents ahead of time!

YARP

Well after an E-mail from the seller (who suggested I buy the cheaper of the 2......GASP! now that's honesty) I've decided to go with the Romanian TT-33 for a couple reasons. The first being that mags are REALLY hard to find for the Yugo. He said the grip is a little shorter (about a quarter of an inch) but he stated "I have large hands and can still shoot comfortably.". Considering that my friends will be shooting this when I take them out to plink rather than me using this for a go to gun I'm not to concerned. He said the reliability is uncanny and that the only time he's had an issue is with the ammo he's using.

Damn, now I need to dig out the N64 to check things out! Good thread by the way.

Bullseyeboy-

I just picked up a Yugo M57 covered in cosmoline. Overall nice gun. I compared it to my Polish TT and they seem to be mostly the same. The longer mag of the Yugo works in the Polish TT, just sticks out a bit however, the smaller Polish mag will not work in the Yugo. The mag well is too long for the mag to catch. My only complaint is that the barrel does have some minor pitting on the inside but otherwise shiny with strong rifling. I picked this perticular one out of a batch because it had the least amount of cosmoline (on some of the others the slide wouldnt even move) and because the holster had stuff written on the inside. Thought it was kinda cool but now I'm kicking myself in the ass because now that I think about it less cosmoline and writing in the holster could mean that it was in service or in service longer. Maybe the other ones had better barrels.

I just picked up a Yugo M57 covered in cosmoline. Overall nice gun. I compared it to my Polish TT and they seem to be mostly the same. The longer mag of the Yugo works in the Polish TT, just sticks out a bit however, the smaller Polish mag will not work in the Yugo. The mag well is too long for the mag to catch. My only complaint is that the barrel does have some minor pitting on the inside but otherwise shiny with strong rifling. I picked this perticular one out of a batch because it had the least amount of cosmoline (on some of the others the slide wouldnt even move) and because the holster had stuff written on the inside. Thought it was kinda cool but now I'm kicking myself in the ass because now that I think about it less cosmoline and writing in the holster could mean that it was in service or in service longer. Maybe the other ones had better barrels.

Lots of cosmoline on very old gun=good.... For future reference. A bitch to clean off but worth it when there's no rusting or pitting.

• 1 month later...

I have a romy tt33, it's accurate and fun to shoot.

I did have one issue though, the trigger would not reset.

Turns out when they cut the frame to add in that safety, they made it so the trigger bar could move up more than it was supposed to, I fixed mine by forcing the trigger bar leaf spring tighter in the frame.

Just something to look out for, if you have the same problem send me an IM and I'll try and help you out.