Wolf Black Box vs. Mil. Classic

The MC HP's use a fragmenting bullet and they seal the necks. I believe someone on this sight reported that the Black box HP's expand or fragment as well. Something about testing them compared to FMJ on bowling pins maybe, I just can't remember who it was.

My local indoor range wouldn't let me use Mil Classic because, they said, it had steel core ammo that would mess up their backstop. They would only let me use Black Box. I have no idea if this is true though, maybe someone else here can confirm. I thought steel core ammo was no longer imported.

You are correct, they can no longer import steel core ammo. But it is steel jacketed covered with a copper jacket.

The black box ammo is aight for just wasting bullets but I wouldnt count on its accuracy

Now I find out about this after stocking up with thousands.... 010.gif

Dont worry about it, its good for plinkin, I prefer Golden Tiger though its much more accurate imo. I too grabbed a bunch of wolf black box soft tip cuz it was on sale cheap as hell. meh ill shoot it one day.

Well crap, now i cant find it, i scamming ammo yesterday and found some stuff on wolf was gonna link you but i lost it. It was about the wolf black box vs mil surp and about the diff factories and quality. ill keep lookin though.

Edited by chevyman097

Ive been trying to decide on what to get myself,I was considering the Silver Bear

just because I read somewhere it had a higher velocity, but idk I'm a total noob to rifles.

Cheaper then dirt has 500rds of Brown Bear 123gr FMJ at $109.97 and Silver Bear 500rds 123gr FMJ at $157.79. since I have had good luck using the Brown Bear I will stick with it.

The MC HP's use a fragmenting bullet and they seal the necks. I believe someone on this sight reported that the Black box HP's expand or fragment as well. Something about testing them compared to FMJ on bowling pins maybe, I just can't remember who it was.

Yeap! FMJ(wolf black box) and SP(norinco) made a dimple looking mark on entrance and exit of the bowling pins. HP(black box wolf) left a golf ball sized hole out the back end.

A friend of mine used my x39 saiga for hunting this year with wolf black box HPs. It left a entrance and exit wound the same size, but come time to cut up the meat we found a entire shoulder was destroyed. There was a huge internal wound cavity and fragments all through the surrounding muscle.

If you stocked up on wolf black box, I wouldn't be crying.

The primary difference I have noticed is about five more coats of lacquer on Mil classic!!!:lolol:

Wolf has not used lacquer since the mid 90's. I doubt you have Wold ammo that old.

Ya got me... I just got my first box of 20 rounds last week....

and I wouldn't be the type of guy to shoot late 70's or early 80's mil surp stuff.....

you must have missed the smiley face after my post.....

Anyhow.....

I get the 2 grain difference in bullet weights, but that can't be all, can it?

The Wolf MC JHP uses the "8M3 bullet". From what others have said its at the top of the food chain. Wolf Black Box SP's aren't anything to sneeze at either. They can tear up some gelatin and are preferred for mid-large game hunting. Stay away from the Wolf BB JHP's or BB FMJ's if youre looking for performance, otherwise they work well for plinking.

Shot some Wolf MC 124FMJ today and some Uly type white box. No Problems with either. Target died.. Lol

Local show coming up had it (Wolf MC) last time at $7/box so I may grab a few boxes (or case if I can afford it)022.gif

I have a box of Wolf MC 124 HP here also. Looks like a JHP and has a redstripe around the bullet 'seat'. Also has red primer sealent.

The HP box is marked on the end panel MIL-SPEC the FMJ is not marked like that. hmmm. maybe NYmini is correct on this 8M3 theory.

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine

Ive been trying to decide on what to get myself,I was considering the Silver Bear

just because I read somewhere it had a higher velocity, but idk I'm a total noob to rifles.

Cheaper then dirt has 500rds of Brown Bear 123gr FMJ at $109.97 and Silver Bear 500rds 123gr FMJ at $157.79. since I have had good luck using the Brown Bear I will stick with it.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy ammo, (or anything else), from "Cheaper Than Dirt". In my experience, they are price-gouging assholes. Their ammo prices are always high, (usually extremely high). Immediately after the election selection of King Barry, they raised their price on Wolf 7.62x39 to ~$0.50/round. :eek:

Some of us haven't forgotten that. I, for one, will never do business with those pricks again.

For the best prices on ammo, let others do the research for you ;) and check out gun-deals.com

Edited by post-apocalyptic

If I were you, I wouldn't buy ammo, (or much of anything else), from "Cheaper Than Dirt". In my experience, they are price-gouging assholes. Their ammo prices are always high, (usually extremely high).

For the best prices on ammo, (and many other things), check out gun-deals.com

I would have to agree, I try and stay away from CTD as well. Alot of people go for the name of the website, it does not fit, plenty of other places beat their prices on a dialy basis.

Oh, and more directly to the topic:

The only Wolf I'd buy is MC JHP. It's not that the other Wolf products are bad.. it's just that I prefer Barnaul ammo, (Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Golden Bear), as I've gotten better performance out of it and the quality does seem to be a bit better.

ymmv

• Like 1

If I were you, I wouldn't buy ammo, (or much of anything else), from "Cheaper Than Dirt". In my experience, they are price-gouging assholes. Their ammo prices are always high, (usually extremely high).

For the best prices on ammo, (and many other things), check out gun-deals.com

I would have to agree, I try and stay away from CTD as well. Alot of people go for the name of the website, it does not fit, plenty of other places beat their prices on a dialy basis.

Just buy whats cheap and pass on the rest. If I was to avoid everyone that was high a few months ago there would be no one to buy from at all.

Besides no one made us buy anything back then and I cant think of anything I did buy from them due to the prices. Even now only the BB 308 is the only item from them that looks good.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I'll have a whopping $40-50 to spend at the show next weekend here in PA. Hoping the same dealer who sells single boxes is here and hopefully dropped at least $1 off rolleyes.gif the Wolf MC HP's he had last time for $7.95/box.

Down to about 80 rounds of some green laquered stuff after shooting 160 rounds yesterday in an hour. (no rapidfire was allowed) :( . The good news is the 20 rnd mag has the Wolf MC HP's in it as I forgot the mag at home yesterday.

Soon I will getting a 1000 round case within the next month or so after the TAX check 027.gif comes in.

post-8775-12625538765403_thumb.jpg

Dicks had this Wolf MC 124HP marked $8.99 on shelf. Got to register with 2 boxes and was only $5.97/box. Needless to say I grabbed 100 rounds (total) for $30. Its the MC version 124HP... 027.gif

So people with a Dicks nearby should check. They also had most ammo types back iin stock here in the NJ/PA region.

They had the MC 124FMJ for $9.99 so I can probably assume that would be $6.97/box.

Ok after some research I found the bottom of the box for the Wolf Mil-Classic 124HP with the red stripe and red primer sealant came from a box with SA02 marked on the bottom next to the PC and other Russian state markings on the bottom.

The new boxes I just bought today are marked SA03 on the bottom and DO NOT have the red stripe or primer sealant.

Both are maked 7.62x39 and WOLF on the casing base/bottom.

post-8775-12625687573251_thumb.jpg

Don't see any differences between the 2 at the moment, both are HP tipped.

Maybe the sealant doesn't matter (except to long-term storage)

If I were you, I wouldn't buy ammo, (or anything else), from "Cheaper Than Dirt". In my experience, they are price-gouging assholes. Their ammo prices are always high, (usually extremely high). Immediately after the election selection of King Barry, they raised their price on Wolf 7.62x39 to ~$0.50/round. :eek:

Some of us haven't forgotten that. I, for one, will never do business with those pricks again.

For the best prices on ammo, let others do the research for you ;) and check out gun-deals.com

Funny how CTD has the best price on brown bear 500 rounds. $130 shipped to my front door. How is that price gouging?

Yeah Im looking at picking up some Brown Bear HP for all my Saigas, good round for those long term storage SD needs. Wouldnt pick as a prime hunting round but from what Ive seen they are a more damaging round than FMJ. Anyone seen good tests of it?

Yeah Im looking at picking up some Brown Bear HP for all my Saigas, good round for those long term storage SD needs. Wouldnt pick as a prime hunting round but from what Ive seen they are a more damaging round than FMJ. Anyone seen good tests of it?

It's hardly a scientific test, but I could post pics of the baseball I recently shot with a round of Brown Bear JHP if you'd like. The exit "wound" is pretty impressive. ;)

Funny how CTD has the best price on brown bear 500 rounds. $130 shipped to my front door. How is that price gouging?

So maybe they've had to lower their current prices to remain competitive. That's not really the point. The point is that they increased their prices on plain ol Wolf black box to ~$0.50/rnd immediately after the fall '08 election, (much higher than other sites were charging at the time).

Thus they showed that they were more than willing, (more like eager), to take advantage of people whenever they can. Businesses with that kind of attitude do not get my patronage, ever.

But hey, it's your money. Spend it however you want.

Edited by post-apocalyptic