5.45x39 10 or 15 Round Mags??

As the topic says.

I know Promag makes 7.62x39 in 20 round that can be modded to 10 rounds (much like the Surefires can be cut)

Does anyone know where to get 10 or 15 round (NJ maximum) 5.45 mags (not 223 people)?? 009.gif

I'll even take FACTORY mags if you know a source..

I'm in PA but go to NJ to shoot sometimes (most) and 1 factory mag and reloading it would SUCK..

This could also help other 5.45 owners/would be owners whom may want to buy one in the BAN states..

I plan on going and getting a 5.45x39 this week, but if I can't get 10 or 15 round mags this may be a deal breaker on buying one.. I don't want to go .223 021.gif folks..

I saw a tutorial on another forum how to cut down 30 round steel mags. I've been thinking about cutting a couple of 5.45 30 rounders down to 20. Something similar might work for you, but presumably you'd have to do it in another state. Maybe if I perfect my technique, I can do some 15 rounders for those unfortunate enough to live or shoot in NJ. ;-)

Edited by Jim Digriz

I know Klassy was doing some also. I'd even pay $25-30 for one factory. Hint to SPONSORS..

I would just 1-2 for NJ and run my 30's here in PA 022.gif .

I could buy a poly mag I guess and play with it I guess.

Just want all my ducks in a row before I shell out $329 and S/H $25 (or $340 from CF) and then the $38 Xfer fee.

Basically $380-400 total OTD and in-my-hands..

we are doing a bunch of bullet guides into our stock of 5.45s, so I can call the office, and have the gunsmithing dept. check the shelves for factory ten rounders.....there were hardly no extras brought in with the 5.45s....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love my pre-ban ak-74 mags, but an extra 10 rounder or two would make shooting off a bench much easier!

I ran across these http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/romanian-cugir-arsenal-ak-5-45x39-10rd-steel-magazines-448.html?zenid=b04f43fbbf8620ca84ddd4ead30460da But if you read the review they need some tweaking to get them to work. Does anyone know of a better source for 10 round mags?

• 4 months later...

I use the plastic factory 10-rounders all the time for bench rest. Once you add a bullet guide, all you have to do is cut a notch in the front to clear the new guide.

I bought one of the factory Izmash 10-round '74 mags off K-VAR and compared to the one that came with my Saiga--the EXACT same thing minus the built-in bullet bump!

Note that the factory mags have no metal reinforcement anywhere that I can see, but the lugs have held up very well so far.

we need a corrosive ammo sticky

here ya go -

1 - Field strip as per instruction manual.

2 - turn on garden hose

3 - apply garden hose spigot to firearm, then shake excess water off

4 - repel water with WD-40

5 - wipe off all excess, let drip dry in corner

6 - reassemble, lightly oil all critical parts and areas with a cheap can of spray oil

7 - stick back in corner

we need a corrosive ammo sticky

here ya go -

1 - Field strip as per instruction manual.

2 - turn on garden hose

3 - apply garden hose spigot to firearm, then shake excess water off

4 - repel water with WD-40

5 - wipe off all excess, let drip dry in corner

6 - reassemble, lightly oil all critical parts and areas with a cheap can of spray oil

7 - stick back in corner

I know how, but it seems the question arises in any thread dealing with actually shooting the gun.

I use Napa 30 weight out of an eye dropper.

I know how, but it seems the question arises in any thread dealing with actually shooting the gun.

Why not start your own thread and call for contributions to it? I'd like to see all the different methods people are using, as well as any tips. I've got my own method down pretty pat, but I'd be interested in seeing if it could be streamlined or improved further.

Why not start your own thread and call for contributions to it? I'd like to see all the different methods people are using, as well as any tips. I've got my own method down pretty pat, but I'd be interested in seeing if it could be streamlined or improved further.

that's the thing. There are tons of ways to do it scattered throughout all the threads here because whenever corrosive ammo is mentioned everyone gets in a big discussion about how their way is better and how using Windex and ammonia is not necessary...yada....yada...yada. It kinda gets old.

• 3 weeks later...