Metal Putty

i used JB Putty on my saiga 223 when i filled the holes in the receiver. 3yrs and still holding strong.

I just used JB Weld on my first conversion. I cut small, square metal plates and JB Welded them to the inside of the receiver covering the holes from the backside. Waited for that to set and then filled the holes with JB Weld. I then waited a a few days for everything to cure and sanded it down. Then I stripped the receiver and refinished it.

s12-micahconversion3.jpg

Those putties can be quite tough, but in an environment with oil, solvents and vibration, it will eventually fail.

yup really its just a temp fix, when i convert do convert my saiga 12 i will be using screws to cover up those holes. I should really freshin up on my welding havent used one since high school.

IMO, JB Weld, metal putty, or other quick fixes have no place in the conversion process, for reasons mentioned above.

+1

I'd rather see the holes than that crap.

Heh, heh, heh....... As soon as I see a post with "JB Weld" in it, I start the countdown for Bob !!!

It's just that it's such a half-assed approach using that crap...............

Go Bob !!

Well, obviously using an epoxy or putty of sorts isn't going to be as good as a proper conversion (welded holes, heat treated parts, etc). For a temp fix until the actual welding, I'd have to agree that those little plastic plugs are a good idea though.

There is a two part epoxy putty mix that we used to use on the submarines' hole penetrations that was metal based and when cured could be machined. The stuff I think was called Capastic or something like that but I don't know if it is commercially available. But I also agree with most here in that welding is the best option.

Just my 2 cents.

nyclu3

Wheres the thread where the guy made a bullet guide out of it? I wonder how that turned out for him long term...

I believe he caved and gave up on it before ever testing it out IIRC, and installed a machined BG.

I for one dont see any issue with using the stuff for filling the holes. It appears no different to me then using a filler for body work on a car. Its not ideal compared to pounding out the sheet metal and working tediously to get it perfect but is an accepted way at getting a good end result.

Is it a structural issue that everyone has against using an epoxy type filler for the holes, or is just the stigma that surrounds the stuff?

Edited by Mullet Man

All for the super low price of $1,500!!!

I'd love to have one, but DAMN!!! I'm sure it pays for itself for the pros, but for a hobbyist like me, I couldn't justify it.

Maybe when I get on the road to becoming a gunsmith I'll snag one up.

Edited by Lucas_061287

IMO, JB Weld, metal putty, or other quick fixes have no place in the conversion process, for reasons mentioned above.

+1

I'd rather see the holes than that crap.

Heh, heh, heh....... As soon as I see a post with "JB Weld" in it, I start the countdown for Bob !!!

It's just that it's such a half-assed approach using that crap...............

Go Bob !!

And while I agree with you on the "half-assed approach", I'll need to enlighten you of Tromix's half assed parts. For example, the DIY trigger guard - non-heat treated garbage metal that bends with EASE. That won't happen with GoGun's trigger guard - its machined from billet, and quite competitive price wise for what you get.

Believe me, I really don't require any "enlightenment" regarding any TROMIX parts or products from you.

Your stated opinion that TROMIX produces pot-metal garbage parts is strictly that: your stated opinion, and I, and most of the rest of the knowledgable Saiga community both here and worldwide would vehemently disagree with you.

Of course, having just arrived here, I'm certain that you are much more attuned to the pulse of all us Saiga owners, and certainly all the TROMIX owners and people who use TROMIX parts and accessories, than we are.......

I'm sure you have some agenda you'll eventually get around to stating, but I'm thinking you'll find yourself standing basically alone aside from all of us who know better..................

First impression is a GoGun/Selph(?) shill making an attack on TROMIX....Helluva marketing strategy......Pretty weak there, sport..............

TROMIX half-assed and overpriced ??? Get a grip...............

Its plain and simple, Tromix is stuff is expensive and not of the highest quality.

Also, I wasn't aware that post count was relevant to my Saiga knowledge and/or my knowledge of the various parts out there.

I'm not hailing GoGun or Selph Arms or trying to promote slander. I just can stand all the Tromix bandwaggon freaks in here. It's like arguing with LaRue sackriders.

It's funny how these threads start out fine and then turn into a complete goat fuck.

As far as everyone being "Tromix bandwagonners," I'd have to say yes, that's true, but why to you think that is? Tony is knowledgeable about firearms, he helps people, he is interesting and he manufactures products that fill a need and improve your firearm.

I don't understand why people complain about a company charging a fair price for a product. I would rather support a company because I appreciate that they make the products available in the first place.

Believe me, I really don't require any "enlightenment" regarding any TROMIX parts or products from you.

Well then, allow me, if you will, to state my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, but at least see whats in front of you. After all I think thats only reasonable, and we're all reasonable people here, correct?

Your stated opinion that TROMIX produces pot-metal garbage parts is strictly that: your stated opinion, and I, and most of the rest of the knowledgable Saiga community both here and worldwide would vehemently disagree with you.

Regardless of what *most* of the *knowledgable Saiga community* disagree with, Keith did NOT state that all Tromix parts were garbage- just the DIY trigger guard. And he and I have discussed this before- wouldn't be a bad part for $15, but $45? Couldn't be CAD costs could it?

Of course, having just arrived here, I'm certain that you are much more attuned to the pulse of all us Saiga owners, and certainly all the TROMIX owners and people who use TROMIX parts and accessories, than we are.......

So by this notion, post count reflects knowledge? Or am I missing the point of this statement, other than the attempt at getting under Keith's skin?

I'm sure you have some agenda you'll eventually get around to stating, but I'm thinking you'll find yourself standing basically alone aside from all of us who know better..................

Oh yeah, because stating one's opinion about a superior part from one company vs. a seemingly inferior part from a different company MUST mean a collaboration with the former company? What kind of paranoia is this? By that notion, everyone who prefers to shave with Gillette razors and not Schick MUST have their hands in Gellette's pockets. Everyone that has a Calvin peeing on Ford logo on their Chevy MUST be in caboots with General Motors? All I'm saying is that Keith was simply showing the Saiga community some outstanding work by a newish member to this forum... but oh yeah, we've already established that post count= inferiority, so Selph Arms LLC MUST be a shit company, am I right?

First impression is a GoGun/Selph(?) shill making an attack on TROMIX....Helluva marketing strategy......Pretty weak there, sport..............

I'm sorry, but I failed to see an "attack" on Tromix. I saw an opinion on one of Tromix's parts, and a justifiable opinion at that- overpriced potmetal. It'd be sweet if it were about $15 bucks... wait, I've already said this... its a phenomenon known as deja vu...

TROMIX half-assed and overpriced ??? Get a grip...............

Case in point...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-138/TROMIX-SAIGA-TRIGGER-TAPCO/Detail

... what exactly turns a $27 Tapco G2 Fire Control Group into a $45 "Tromix" Fire Control Group? Is it the 2 minutes of grinding and cutting? Is it the $3 shephards hook? Certainly couldn't be manufacturing costs, as they're modified Tapco units, so where does the extra cost come from?

Listen, I'm not talking down on Tromix by any means- I'm just stating my opinion, just as Keith stated HIS opinion, both of which are based on experience. This is America, we're allowed to do that. I guess these Russian guns tend to bring out the 'commie in people ;) (Before anyone freaks out, the "commie" thing was just a joke. Last thing I need is for Russian people to hate my guts and my liver).

Edited by Lucas_061287

I will pay Tromix $45 to apply their knowledge to the fire control part, so that I can be sure that it will work.

My alternative is to learn the technique of polishing and grinding the parts to save $18, but I will actually lose money in time, effort and equipment. Not to mention that I might mess up a few parts along the way.

If you need to disparage someone else to feel better about yourself, then you have a character flaw that you need to work on.

^Hey, its your money, do what you want with it.

All I'm saying is that ~IN MY OPINION~ the time and effort it takes to grind/cut the areas neccessary on the stock Tapco unit isn't worth $18 to me. I'm sure some folks agree, but I'm also sure most folks appreciate the convenience of a piece that they can order already modified. Its all about preferance really.

As far as my character goes- thats not up for discussion, but you're welcome to reveiw all of my posts on this forum to judge my character for yourself. You might be surprised.

Keith please quit spamming and trolling it is very unbecoming. You have already expressed your opinions in one thread you do not need to go around hijacking others. It is not fair to the OP and degrades the quality of the thread.