No collapsable stock allowed at the range

Sounds like a bunch of gun snobs who inserted a "poison pill" in the rules to keep out the riff raff. I had no idea this kind of stuff went on. I'm starting to feel very lucky about the places I can go shoot around here.

So, like better than 50% of us here... Are Riff Raff? :chris:

Did you ask why?

No, I just dropped the flyer on the table and walked off. He was set up right beside the DEA, BATF table at the Gunshow.

if you wanted to know why, that was the time to ask, when they were right there. but as you didn't it's all just speculation on our part. so here is mine - I had a AR15 that has a collapsable stock and it collpased on me when I was firing. what happened was that the pin, unscrewed a bit and it collapsabled on me, it was a easy fix I just LOC TITE the screw so it wouldn't unscrew it self. now I'm not saying that is their reasoning why they ban collapsable stocks, but if someone had that happened to them, and they paniced a bit, they may have shot a round out of the range area

Lockhart is the "BBQ capitol of TX." heres a link about the town LINK

What? Lockhart has a population of 14,000 people and a total of 4 BBQ restaurants and they are the BBQ capital of Texas. That place is delusional! We have more than four BBQ restaurants in a 2 mile radius from my house. Houston wasn't given the fattest city in America by chance, we earned it! Great BBQ and the BBQ cook-off at the rodeo every year has to make Houston the BBQ capital hands down. Plus, we let you shot collapsible stocks all day long, those shorter stocks come in handy will tackling a side of ribs. Hell it just hit me, Houston is the collapsible stock capital of Texas, no wait the U.S., no wait the world, yeah the world! :super:

Sounds like whoever runs the ranges in your area and joined the rest of the idiotic ranges that have lost touch with reality. Its a sad situation that is mounting but I come across it every time I go looking for ranges. Stupid rules with not logic or explanation.

So I am not the only one experiencing this. I cant belive the NRA allow this.

I lost my faith in the NRA a long time ago, I dont support them either.

The NRA sold out for CA$H. Thats the bottom line, pad our pockets and we will look the other way.

I prefer Gun Owners of America

I had wanted to use a bore sighter to sight in my new Yugo M70AB2 and was told that bore sighters were recently banned. When asked why, they said recently a couple of different shooters had left them in, and fired, blowing up their barrels. I argued that I had the type shaped like a 7.62 x 39 round that gets chambered and therefore there was 0% chance of any mishap. The guy said, "doesn't matter, we banned them all". WTF??? Pretty soon it will be only air guns allowed. We've got to DO something!

Edited by one2za

As with any rule someone before you probably came along and screwed it up for anyone else. This usually ends in a knee jerk reaction to ban anything similar to whatever the previous jackass did to hurt himself. In this litigious society that often sues an wins on the grounds that "im an idiot and they should have told me" I.E. coffee is hot, don't spill it on yourself or you may get burned. "drano is corrosive...don't drink it or you may die" etc etc. Ive heard of ranges banning folding stocks as people have hurt themselves shooting with the stock folded. I've also been to a range that doesn't allow john woo double fisted action as some crooked hat gold teeth havin white kid thought it'd be cool to empty 2 magazines at a 7 yard target (hit the target 3 times out of 20 rounds and shot himself in the hand). If I were to speculate on this particular issue i'd guess that someone showed up at the range with 12ga shotgun coupled with a collapsible UTG stock that he got off of ebay used for 12$ that looks cool but isn't worth half a sh!t. The kid readied his gun, pulled the trigger, the locking mechanism broke and the shotgun instantly slid back 6 inches into his face causing him to lose a tooth. Instead of saying "im an idiot" he said "you're the idiot for allowing me to do this" and sued the range for his doctor bills, pain and discomfort, suffering and is now on a crusade to end collapsible stocks as they can kill you (and make you rich). Just a guess though :).

Talk about range rules: I was training at a police range a couple years ago. During a lunch break I noticed a sign that said if you can't blow under a .04 on a PBT (preliminary breath tester) you will not be permitted to qualify. The sign looked official, and like it had been there for years. This is not to pick on LE, as I've been on dozens of LE ranges and many others. I've never seen another sign like that anywhere, I was just amazed. You know it's there because it was needed at some point...

just another sign of ignorance and stupidity that appears to be rewarded nowadays. but after all, a folding stock has been assigned the human quality of being evil, just like mags over 5 rounds, bayonets, flash hiders, etc. They are just trying to reduce the evil in life thats all, poor things

Edited by jeepranch

I can shoot anything and everthing at my range. Benefit of belonging to a private range. Guy that owns it is very active in the gun rights community (VCDL, and VSSA). I lucked out meeting him through a guy I work with. Not alot of members either so alot of times I can have the range pretty much to myself. He has to be there for legal reasons.

Can someone please tell me why you didn't just man up and ask the guy what the problem was?

This whole thread is kind of aggravating because a simple question could have changed the entire tone of the discussion.

Instead of wondering why we could have been addressing the actual reason.

Can someone please tell me why Collapsable Stocks are not allowed at ranges? These ranges claim to be members of the NRA. I thought the NRA promoted the use of any and every firearms as long as its legal and used in a safe way.

I am looking for somewhere in West Palm Beach, Port St Lucy area to go shooting without all the darn restrictions. I would even drive to Ft Pierce. Anyone live in Florida around these areas that know of a good place to go shooting without restrictions?

I live in Pt. St. Lucie and I go to the Fellsmere public gun range. It is an outdoor range where you can shoot pretty much anything that isn't an automatic. Even 50s. They have a 15/25 yard pistol range, 50/100/200 yard rifle range, archery range and an air rifle range. I also believe that you can shoot skeet (not sure). There is also a private gun club in Stuart that has a really nice facility, from what I hear. I was also unaware of the "no collapsable" rule at the Okeechobee range. I was going to set up a trip out there to shoot my S-12 and LR-308. But since my LR comes with a factory collapsable stock I wouldn't be able to shoot it. That's just plain stupid.

I live in Pt. St. Lucie and I go to the Fellsmere public gun range. It is an outdoor range where you can shoot pretty much anything that isn't an automatic. Even 50s. They have a 15/25 yard pistol range, 50/100/200 yard rifle range, archery range and an air rifle range. I also believe that you can shoot skeet (not sure). There is also a private gun club in Stuart that has a really nice facility, from what I hear. I was also unaware of the "no collapsable" rule at the Okeechobee range. I was going to set up a trip out there to shoot my S-12 and LR-308. But since my LR comes with a factory collapsable stock I wouldn't be able to shoot it. That's just plain stupid.

Bridis, I am not sure which range in Okechobee it was that had the no collapsable stock rule. If you have the number for that range I would call them before you make the trip, just in case thats the one. Thanks for the Fellsmere info, I will make a note of it.

Bridis, I am not sure which range in Okechobee it was that had the no collapsable stock rule. If you have the number for that range I would call them before you make the trip, just in case thats the one. Thanks for the Fellsmere info, I will make a note of it.

Cool... I'll check into it before I go. Feel free to let me know if you want to go shoot S-12s. I'm there.

Can someone please tell me why you didn't just man up and ask the guy what the problem was?

This whole thread is kind of aggravating because a simple question could have changed the entire tone of the discussion.

Can someone please tell me why Collapsable Stocks are not allowed at ranges? These ranges claim to be members of the NRA. I thought the NRA promoted the use of any and every firearms as long as its legal and used in a safe way.

I am looking for somewhere in West Palm Beach, Port St Lucy area to go shooting without all the darn restrictions. I would even drive to Ft Pierce. Anyone live in Florida around these areas that know of a good place to go shooting without restrictions?

Boba, you are right. I could have and should have just stayed level headed and asked the question. Instead of dropping the flyer and just walking away. It just pissed me off to see such an ______ rule. You understand right being a gun owner. We all handle situations differently.

Cool... I'll check into it before I go. Feel free to let me know if you want to go shoot S-12s. I'm there.

Bridis, sounds great. Once I get my conversion complete we have to get together to test this thing.

Boba, you are right. I could have and should have just stayed level headed and asked the question. Instead of dropping the flyer and just walking away. It just pissed me off to see such an ______ rule. You understand right being a gun owner. We all handle situations differently.

BOBA, you are right. (MODERATOR CLOSE THIS THREAD PLEASE.) Boba is mad at me , dont want anyone here getting upset at me.