Promag 12rd compact drum

So you're saying the 20 round drum is bigger than the 12? shocked.gif

Ahhhh, yeah. :rolleyes: Just thought folks that don't have a 12rd drum but do own a MDA drum might want to see some photos for comparison. The smaller profile is nice because you don't have to chicken wing your left arm so much.

So you're saying the 20 round drum is bigger than the 12? Posted Image

More to the point he is showing the size difference. Obviously it is going to be smaller the interesting things is to know how much smaller.

I for appreciate being able to see the difference even if I don't plan to buy one of the 12 rounders or least not any time soon.

Size of ProMag 12rd to MDA 20rd drum...

P1070533.jpg

P1070534.jpg

P1070536.jpg

It looks to me that the MD20 is as small as it can be to hold 20 shells, instead of just 12.

I'm interested in these smaller drums too, but I don't see them as a replacement for the 20-rnd drums. An 8-shell difference in capacity is not insignificant.

ymmv.

Thanks PA.

Slug-O, here's a few more of the RJ 12.5 er, the OP's PROMAG 12rd drum...

P1070452.jpg

P1070454.jpg

P1070457.jpg

Sunnybean, is that 12.5 at door breach or a 12.5 barrel plus the door breach. I really like the look and size of that 12.5 that is what I am shooting for on my sbs project.

It looks to me that the MD20 is as small as it can be to hold 20 shells, instead of just 12.

I'm interested in these smaller drums too, but I don't see them as a replacement for the 20-rnd drums. An 8-shell difference in capacity is not insignificant.

ymmv.

It's more like a replacement for unwieldy 12 round magazines.

ymmv.

That's what the upcoming MD double-stack mags are for. ;)

I recieved one of these in last week, took it to the range and I had a FTF every time. It ejected out the fired shell however its like the angle was wrong that it feeds it. Any help out there?

Thanks

J

Was it feeding low or high?

ymmv.

That's what the upcoming MD double-stack mags are for. wink.gif

Bingo. As neat as they look--and I will give credit where credit is due--I think the compact drum is ultimately less useful than either the 20 round drums or the upcoming DS mags. I may pick up a compact drum, but I won't buy near as many as I have the MD 20s or the new DS mags.

PA, I wasn't saying the MDA 20rd is bigger than needed. Just posting photos for info sake. Mike's drum is THE bomb. Also, I'm with you...patiently waiting for those double stacks to go available and deplete whats left of my savings account.

NinerRider, That's 12.5 to the end of the barrel. The attachment is extra.

ymmv.

But they are not out yet. ;) I can't help but think that someone could design a spiral fed drum to be more space efficient.

Edited by bigj480
But they are not out yet. ;)

Exactly. Twelve round mini-drum in hand is worth innumerable double-stacks in no update limbo....

That said, I'm not spending any more money on S12 magazines until the steel ones from Chaos and/or the double-stacks are for sale. :D

Edited by jswledhed
  • Like 1

It's all about utility and opportunity cost. Sure, a 12 round drum is worth more now than non-existant (or at least not yet produced) doublestacks, but is it worth the cost to have more than one when a cheaper, simpler and less ammo-sensitive alternative is around the corner? I've got enough single stack sticks to keep me happy. The 12 round drum will find its way into my collection, but it is not a priority, and I don't expect to buy more than a couple.

I started a poll on doublestack mags versus mini drums of various capacities and the results were compelling enough to spark a bit of interest and debate. Cameron decided to pursue a ten round drum (I think partly because of restricted states) but the 12 round DS and drums were the winners. I expect mikes DS mags to be between 12 and 16 rounds since those were the most popular options and anything longer than 16 negates the compact advantages of the DS mag and requires great big springs.

Edited by stiletto raggio
  • 3 months later...

I recieved one of these in last week, took it to the range and I had a FTF every time. It ejected out the fired shell however its like the angle was wrong that it feeds it. Any help out there?

Thanks

J

I am having the exact same issue. Here is what I know so far, which is very limited because I am new to the Saiga.

At 8 or more rounds in the 12 round drum, the gun will not feed. I have placed 1 round in factory 5 round, and 1 round in the 12 round drum, and they sit inside the receiver at different heights, the 12 being a decent bit lower. At 6-7 rounds, I had about a 50/50 chance of it jamming. 5 or below it seemed to chamber okay.

I have filled the back down a bit according the instructions so that it would fit my gun, I have not touched the front at all, and similar to some other peoples post, there is a bit of play (up / down) by default.

Can anyone else who may own this product please help me.

Thank you,

Aaron

(edit) - I looked over my instructions some more last night, they address that if the unit fits too low, I have to shave a bit off the top surface of the notch in the back. Going to try that tonight.

Edited by Comanda Panda

When I first got my 12 round drums, they where also loose fitting on the front lip. I roughened the lip with a file and added a very tiny amount of JB weld, let it cure and filed to fit. It is now nice tight fit with no slop at all,,,,,,,,,just thought I'd throw that out there.

(Of course it was not my idea,,,,,,,it was another great tip I read somewhere on this forum)

It's all about utility and opportunity cost. Sure, a 12 round drum is worth more now than non-existant (or at least not yet produced) doublestacks, but is it worth the cost to have more than one when a cheaper, simpler and less ammo-sensitive alternative is around the corner? I've got enough single stack sticks to keep me happy. The 12 round drum will find its way into my collection, but it is not a priority, and I don't expect to buy more than a couple...

^ This. Sure, there's a wait involved for the double-stack mags, but I have faith that Mike will deliver a top-quality product, (like everything else he sells), and if they require some more fine-tuning/production time, that's fine with me.

These double-stacks are coming, they are not just "vaporware", (unlike some other mythical products from other companies). Tony R has confirmed that he's seen a prototype in action and that it was most impressive. That's all the reassurance I need.

Rather than wasting money on a product that's merely "adequate", (ProMag drums), I'll just happily run the stick mags and MD-20 I already have until the double-stacks are truly ready and available.

ymmv.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know what promag was thinking when setting the MSRP on these compact drums being this close to the price of the 20rnd. IMO they should be around $60.

I agree, that does seem off. I also totally do not understand why anyone would pay $100+ for a 20rd Promag drum when they could have spent that money on the clearly superior MD-20?! All I can figure is they like to throw away $ and/or didn't bother to educate themselves about the options available(& seriously, all it would take is google+10 minutes!). BTW, the 12rd drums can be found for around $60(& can be found the same way as an education about the 20rd drum options).

Decisions, decisions. I was gonna buy an MD Arms 20 rounder but this thing looks so svelte and sexy next to a twenty rounder. Not to mention the matter of being more tactical practical.

Horror stories about other Promag magazines are the only thing holding me back at the moment. I suppose I could get a 20 rounder in case I'm attacked while sitting on the couch and a 12 in case I actually have to get up and go after the BGs.

IMO opinion you SHOULD buy an MD-20, it is by FAR the highest quality, most reliable & durable drum available. Of course it is bulkier than the Promag 12rd, because it holds 20. They are different tools for different jobs, but I want both! Promag has more than earned their dubious reputation, and I was sure these drums would be utter crap like all of their other mags. So I was shocked when I found out that for the first time ever Promag actually made a fairly functional mag, especially being a drum which is much more complex than the average mag! They must have seen the fate of the Wraipmaker and thus decided to spend extra time & $ on "R&D"(ie studying and thoroughly ripping-off-off MD Arms' design). And don't forget the primary role of an MD-20, being the baddest-ass at the range and the joy of rapidly dumping 20rds into your target(s)!

ymmv.

True dat, true dat!

yup, I might have bought a 12rd stick mag for novelty if that was the ONLY high-capacity S12 mag option, but thankfully it's not because those things look SO godawful awkward and ridiculous!

Different strokes an all, I think mini-drums & doublestacks are both needed and can excel in different roles. I want some of both. As for the mini-drums, I was too impatient and couldn't resist a $60ish 12rd mini-drum, but I am REALLY looking forward to both the METAL Chaos Mini-Drum & the MD Arms Doublestacks & Magwells!(among other to-die-for S12 accessories that have come out recently or will be out soon!)

But they are not out yet. ;) I can't help but think that someone could design a spiral fed drum to be more space efficient.

I've been wondering about a spiral-fed drum too. It seems like you could possibly make a 30rd drum the size of the current 20rd drums, or just make a more compact 20rd drum. I feel fairly certain that it would be possible to make them, since there are spiral-fed drums for other guns, and drums(and soon a doublestack mag) for the S12; but I am not an engineer and I'd imagine a spiral feed S12 drum would be a royal pain in the ass to design and make work right. But hot damn, it would be SO cool, and with all the other stuff that is coming out I think that will be the next and probably one of the final evolutionary steps in S12 mags. I don't think any self-respecting Saiga-12 owner could resist buying as many as they could afford.:devil::dollar::super:

oh man... to live in a free state.... ):

ProMag makes a 10 round drum that is LEGAL in CA032.gif. I think they have them available in the Saiga-12 E-Store. Drums are perfectly legal here as long as the don't have more than a 10 round capacity. I'm waiting for the Chaos mini drum027.gif027.gif

What rimmed cartridge uses a spiral drum? I believe Ive only seen rimless cartridges used in those. You have to be able to do something to keep the rims from stacking up in the mag, either by a curving a mag or spacers in a drum.

Edited by Shadoh

What rimmed cartridge uses a spiral drum? I believe Ive only seen rimless cartridges used in those. You have to be able to do something to keep the rims from stacking up in the mag, either by a curving a mag or spacers in a drum.

There's not one that I know of, though I probably wouldn't know about it even if there was one, so that doesn't mean anything. It just seems if it's possible to make a drum for the S12 & double-stack mags, that with some ingenuity and technical know-how, it should be possible to make a spiral fed drum. It certainly wouldn't be easy, but I suspect it's not completely impossible. Aren't the rimmed cartridges the reason we haven't seen a double-stack mag yet?