How many options for folding stocks are there?

I have a new 308 and am considering switching to a folding stock. I've looked around online... and to date I've only found one folding stock for Saiga.

Are there more? I am not finding them if there are.

Also, if there are... what is the best built of the options?

Tapco makes a plastic/polymer drop in folding stock 922 comp.

The Romanian wire folding stock is also a drop in

ACE makes them but I think you have to cut the rear trunion. 922 comp

Bulgarian/Russian side triangle folders but you have to modify the receiver.

The easiest is the ones that just drop in

I have a new 308 and am considering switching to a folding stock. I've looked around online... and to date I've only found one folding stock for Saiga.

Are there more? I am not finding them if there are.

Also, if there are... what is the best built of the options?

There are plenty of options available. There's no different between Saigas and other AKs when it comes to stocks, so you can just search of AK folders. There are two types of AK folding stocks available: the ones that bolt right on and the ones that require you to chop off the rear receiver tang first. The latter look cooler and attach at a more proper angle. Check out the comparison pic (my own weapons). The setup on the S12 is an internal Ace-style stock adapter, Ace non push-button folding mechanism and Ace skeleton stock. This setup required me to chop off (and grind flat) the rear tang with a dremel. The Saiga 7.62x39 has a K-Var triangle (AKS) style folder, which bolts right on. Notice the integral external mounting adapter protruding from the back the receiver - all "no mods" folders have these and a lot of people tend to think that they look kind of "lame".

Here are some of your options when it comes to "no mods" folders:

•  
  • TAPCO Folding Stock AK-47 Stamped Receivers
  • Romanian AK-47 Wire Folding Stock
  • K-Var AK-BFS (what I got)
  • Falcon Arms AK-47 Folding Stock
  • Advanced Technology Strikeforce 6-Position Side Folding Stock AK-47
  • Mako Tactical Side Folding Stock with Adjustable Cheek Rest AK-47 Stamped

If you are willing to chop off the rear tang, you can install an internal Ace-style stock adapter and either a push-button or regular folding mechanism, and then attach some very nice and solid Ace, Tromix and DPH stocks. The new AGP folding stock that this site just started selling seems like a good option, as well. Good luck.

post-10789-12704041244762_thumb.jpg

If you're really about it, drill the receiver for the Bulgarian side folder trunnion and put on one of these:

d_876.jpg

It's the only side folder I would want to use with 308.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16849&cat=283&page=3

Sadly, k-var is out of stock atm.

I think you would have to install the front catch lower than normal somehow due to the bulk of the 308 front trunnion.

Edited by MaxTheRabbit

Max,

That original style folder setup (AK100 or Bulgarian) takes more than just drilling.

The rear trunnion hinge requires cutting & fitting.

The front latch slot needs to be cut to precisely align with where the folding buttstock touches the reciever in front. Shouldn't that be exactly the same for every installation?

to the OP:

Of the established gunsmiths I've seen posting on various boards, $250 is the ballpark average for installing these sidefolders.

You can check with Jim Fuller @ Rifle Dynamics or any number of the longtime, established gunsmiths who post here for specific, and correct :-) details on installation

Cheers

HarvKY

Fitting the rear trunnion is really not a big deal. Here are some good fliks of the required cutouts I found on AK Files.

IMG_2127.jpg

Looks like homeboy missed his mark a bit here, don't let it discourage you.

IMG_1986.jpg

Now, you may be right about the front catch needing to be exactly located; however, I get the feeling that there's some slop in the design. I really don't know if it could be made to work with that 308 front trunnion as is, maybe someone else can chime in.

IMG_1984-1.jpg

Been an "Cut the damn tang" Ace person for years. Have 8, (7 Aces and 1 Tromix stock) yet really interested in the new AGP in the Saiga store. Believe will try on next AK style weapon. Like the (it folds under the charging handle) feature.:smoke:

If you're really about it, drill the receiver for the Bulgarian side folder trunnion and put on one of these:

d_876.jpg

It's the only side folder I would want to use with 308.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16849&cat=283&page=3

Sadly, k-var is out of stock atm.

I think you would have to install the front catch lower than normal somehow due to the bulk of the 308 front trunnion.

Why's that?

• 5 weeks later...

Okay... I give up.

I've tried researching all the options.

I don't want to cut the tang or permanently alter the gun in any way. Can anybody just point me to what the best quality folder will be. When I get home I want to pimp out my 308 completely... and getting a good solid well made folder tops my list.

The Romanian is pretty much the only military folder that is drop in... I assume its military gear, it may not be. I'd probably use one if I wanted a folding stock.

I've used a tapco and it was ok I guess. Its still working, but its been off the gun for about a year now as I did not find it that useful.

If you don't want to cut the tang, get the Ace with external block or the Falcon Folder. They are the two best stocks in my opinion with the tang intact.

• Like 1

If you don't want to cut the tang, get the Ace with external block or the Falcon Folder. They are the two best stocks in my opinion with the tang intact.

+1. The K-Var AK-BFS is built like a tank and is solid as hell too, but it's a foreign made part (doesn't count towards 992r compliance).

• 3 months later...

A company called HDPS now makes Folding stocks and folding mechinisms very similar but a bit different than Ace products. You have to cut the tang like an Ace to install on an AK. They mainly make HK accessories.

The push-button folder mechanisms are steel and aluminum, not just aluminum, and their skeleton stocks are all aluminum, no plastic or polymer. Just put one on my x39...

Edited by icefire
  • 13 years later...